FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2011: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 35 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2011: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I suspect that part of the reason for Button's speed today, and for McLaren's poor qualifying yesterday was due to their running a wet set up.

2. iamthesimpleone

iamthesimpleone Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Few races back. Alonso nailed the start. took the lead, and Vettel caught up because his car was faster........

Yes, if two drivers are in identical cars, and one is faster, a logical conclusion to draw would be the slower driver is of less talent.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think you're right -- maybe Michael too.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Any team that didn't use that tactic was foolish. It was clear for days that this would be a wet race (see my thread earlier this week).

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #855 TheMayor, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
    I don't know if foolish is the right word. Teams are always taking gambles and the weather is always changing.

What's disturbing is that Red Bull went for a dry set up and still almost won the race. If it weren't for the safety car always coming out, Vettel would have walked home.

6. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nothing exciting happened at that turn last year when I was there besides a minor collision between Schumacher and Liuzzi.

7. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ridiculous that de resta got a penalty but button didn't.

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2sfCdwEAQY&feature=related[/ame]

9. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Not to take anything away from him but that makes sense.

10. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    + 1

It's ok to bump n grind as long as you win....

11. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Great to hear this; reaffirms just how much marketability he still has....

12. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    That race was awesome. Seeing Vettel spin was awesome, not going to lie. It was VERY cold and wet, but well worth it. Schumi's insane window that was presented that aloud him to be in 2nd was awesome to see as well. Crowd went nuts during both.

13. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I wanted him to finish second so badly.

14. iamthesimpleone

iamthesimpleone Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Who didn't? Even Vettel did :)

15. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    He is marketable because he is still consider one of the best. I will take my words back and say the old man still has it. I think he did an amazing job today in tricky conditions. Reminded my like the old times. I am going to be cautiously optomistic for MS this season.

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I was crushed when he lost the podium place.

17. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    +1. Had the rain stayed....

18. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    it was sad, but his car didn't have near the performance of the others.

BUT.........he had the performance!!

19. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    #869 ricksb, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
    Precisely. The FOA would have received all kinds of negative flak for taking the victory from Button after the race is completed. I don't understand how Di Resta is penalized when his collision occurred after Button's, but they do nothing for Button who had 2 collisions.

The only person that works against is Hamilton.

Lastly, I don't know that I accept Button's statement that he moved left "to be on the racing line". The racing line was to the right...

20. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Mercedes
    Michael Schumacher (4th)
    "I am leaving this race with one eye laughing and one eye crying, as I am not sure if I should be excited or sad about it. Having been in second place towards the end, I would obviously have loved to finish there and be on the podium again. But even if it did not work out in the very end, we can be happy about the result and the big fight we put in. A good strategy after the red flag made it possible, and I am very happy for our team. I would also like to send a big compliment out to the spectators who stayed with us in those difficult circumstances for so long and even cheered us up. That was impressive, and I am glad that I could play my part in entertaining them."

Ross Brawn, Mercedes GP team principal
    "After our intermediate tyre strategy during the first part of the race didn't work out, we were looking a little stranded in 11th and 12th positions when the race was red flagged, but we recovered the situation well. Michael stopped for intermediate tyres on lap 34 when the Safety Car came in, which enabled him to gain a number of positions, and Nico did the same two laps later. It was a thrilling race and Michael drove beautifully in the second part; he did a strong job on the intermediates and the option tyres, but was unable to hold off Jenson and Mark's faster cars, particularly when they had the use of DRS. Even so, it was a fantastic drive to climb eight places and finish fourth. Nico had a more difficult time: he got hit by Sutil, but climbed back from that and looked set for a solid points finish until he lost his damaged front wing on the final lap which left him in 11th place. Overall, it was an exciting and extremely challenging but ultimately positive race for our team."

21. drf3576

drf3576 Karting

Dec 25, 2006
    Terre Haute, IN
    Full Name:
    Dane Frauenholz
    alright mister know it all...
    im just saying the car is spectacular..theres something with the design / setup that no one else is doing.

22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Definitely one of the best races of all time. I think, the FAI should not allow the use of DRS the moment it starts raining. Even on a drying track. Let them use their pure skills to balance the car between the wet and dry line to attempt the pass.

23. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Yes same here, I am watching the race again and I think he could have pulled it off. His tires just went to crap. I think Button won the race because MS, Webber and Vettel tires just fell off drastically in the last five laps.

24. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    I fully agree .. he really put in a remarkable performance and reignited my hopes that we might see him on the top step again some day

I doubt think there would be many who weren't .. he deserved a podium finish

sadly .. the drying track towards the end really showed up the MB's lack of speed .. not to mention the dreaded DRS effect

25. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    besides possible tyre degradation, I think the drying track illustrated the difference in conditions that bring out the best drivers .. to conditions that bring out the best cars.