Amazing Turbo S!!! | FerrariChat

Amazing Turbo S!!!

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Jayturbo, May 28, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jayturbo

Jayturbo Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Lee
    After many runs I had with various different cars, I've finally did the GIAC ECU tuned yesterday. The reason I wanted to keep stock for so long was because I wanted to see how fast it really is compared to other cars.

Against my 458, it's like this.

Obviously, dead-stop is a Turbo S WIN. But besides the dead-stop, all rolling starts was a 458 WIN. I actually conducted the test up to around 150. So, I kinda expected for the 458 to pull more at higher speeds.

So, finally 2 weeks ago, I tested my Turbo S and 458 from 60 to 190 MPH.

I did a couple testings. I was very surprised to see that the Turbo S was actually dead even at high speeds against the Turbo S.

So, it's like this.

458 pulls first. It pulls 1~2 cars... Then 3~4 cars... Then 4~5 cars... At this moment, it's around 150 MPH.

But guess what? it "STAYS" at 5 cars from 150~190!!!

I did the Dyno test at GIAC before and after the ECU flash.

I got 475WHP!!! And this dyno, they say, reads VERY VERY conservatively.

997.1 Turbos (480BHP) only reads 380WHP in this dyno, Garrett says.

Audi R8 V10 (525BHP) read 400WHP

997.2 Turbo (500BHP) only reads 410~420WHP.

And I got 475WHP!!! No wonder it could keep up with the 562 BHP 458 Italia even at high speeds!!!

Mathematically 475WHP at this dyno would translate to 600BHP at the crank, GIAC says. It might have less drivetrain loss but even with that it definitely isn't 530BHP that Porsche says...

Another Turbo S that they measured before my car got 475WHP at this dyno, as well, so mine isn't a stronger sample... It's pretty much consistent.

We had the ECU flash and dyno read 511WHP, a 36WHP increase. This isn't much increase considering the fact that the regular Turbo would have about 55WHP increase but this is understandable because Turbo S is already pushing almost at its limits.

I will definitely test it against the 458 again and post the results.

I tried to find out more tuning parts available but unfortunately, it's much different from the regular turbo so nothing is available. Only Champion and AWE have "custom" made parts that are available, they say. But I would rather wait for a non-custom parts (=common) unless anyone could supply them at a reasonable price.

I think this is a very fast car straight out from the factory. For the money, it's definitely worth it.

I will have this Turbo S tuned all the bolt-ons. 458, I will pretty much keep stock unless Capristo develops a nice peaky sound exhaust.

I will most likely sell the FX50 and buy two other cars. One Minivan (because of kids) and one really fast car. Here is the list of candidates.

(1) ZR1 with few bolt-on mods will make close to 800BHP.
    (2) Gallardo or LP560 and Underground or Heffner Twin Turbo with 650WHP (93 octane)/ 850WHP (100 octane) setting.
    (3) Same as (2) but with an Audi R8 V10.
    (4) 997.1 Turbo and go all out. GIAC says it can safely push 850WHP with high modifications.
    (5) 2012 GTR and tune it whatever tuning comes out. My friend's 2009 GTR is now pushing 830WHP with C16 so I don't think the same or higher numbers would be impossible with the 2012 model.

Any other candidates that you guys can think of?

2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    For a real cheapy, Look into a SRT8 Challenger and build it to the tee!!!! I have the best of the best cars and LOVE to drive my 600hp Challenger. Just a thought... Something different

3. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    #3 andy c, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
    mp4-12c,twin turbo ,when someone tunes the ecu should make 700hp,with the rest of the tec would make it one of the quickest mods on the planet,when you think Mclaren detuned the original engine as it was capable of 10,500 rpm,and ran as such in the develpment mules,truly amazing for a turbo engine

4. jabba

jabba Karting

Apr 22, 2006
    Northeast, OH
    Full Name:
    HR
    Ford GT twin turbo by Heffner. End Game.

5. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Those TT Gallardos with 1300-1500 awhp are pretty nuts too...

6. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I thought BHP was WHP and HP was just engine power?

7. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    OK,i got it.....

8. Jayturbo

Jayturbo Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Lee
    No. BHP is Brake Horsepower, which is the formal way of saying the HP.

So, BHP = HP although HP simply means HP in gereral whereas the BHP stands for engine power.

WHP is Wheel Horsepower so it's not BHP.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You suck. :)

Dale

10. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My vote is to ditch the "really fast car" idea and just turbocharge the minivan.