Mondial T ABS schematics | FerrariChat

Mondial T ABS schematics

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by gwroclaw, Jun 18, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gwroclaw

gwroclaw Rookie

May 28, 2010
    It seems likely that the ABS in my Mondial T is not functioning. I tried some heavy braking and the rears locked with no apparent intervention by the ABS. In adition the ABS light in the lower part of the tachometer does not lite up for the 4 secs claimed in the technical manual when turning on the ignition while a "system check" is performed. Yes the bulb is good.

The schematics of the vehicle contain every system except for the ABS. The only ABS component in the schematics is the aforementioned ABS light. It is shown as being connected to connector "40123" defined as the "connection for antiskid circuit" in the list of electrical components. There is only a few connections to this connector. No other mention of the sensors, ABS computer etc.

The electrical box in the trunk has no fuses or relays associated with it. All the relays and fuses associated with the ABS seem to be mounted on a bracket attached the the ABS computer mounted on the right side of the front compartment.

I checked the schematics from the web site "www.ferraridatabase.com" and those schematics (the entire service manual) is identical to mine on CD. The service manual contains quite a bit of info on the other unique Mondial T systems such as electrically adjustible shock absorbers, Valeo clutch, etc but virtually nothing on operation of the ABS. It almost seems as the ABS was added to these cars late in the development cycle and never documented in the commonly distributed service manuals.

Is there any source for more info on this important system especially the schematics. Is it a 2,3, or 4 channel system? Etc.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Marco has a t and offered some assistance in the past.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138473285&postcount=1

I have these and if you PM your email address I'll send you the higher res versions.

EDIT: Considering that these documents reference the 328, Mondial 3.2/t and the 348 I wonder if the 348's workshop manual will apply. It contains a full description of the ABS system.

EDIT 2: Looking at Ricambi's website it appears that most ABS components are interchangable between all (328, Mondial 3.2, Mondial t and 348)

Here's the link to the 348's Workshop Manual:

http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Manuals_Workshop.htm

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. gwroclaw

gwroclaw Rookie

May 28, 2010
    Thanks Wade for the prompt reply. I will PM you.

The Ferrari Chat forums is a great resource for these wonderful cars.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    It's in the mail... ;)

5. gwroclaw

gwroclaw Rookie

May 28, 2010
    Just a follow up to my ABS troubleshooting. First, it turned out there was a bad connection in the connector below the ABS CPU which is why the ABS light did not work. Once I discovered that and corrected it I found the ABS light in the tach on all the time. Enabling the code readout by inserting a fuse in the test connector didn't do anything. The light just stayed on continuously.

I proceeded to check the continuity and proper resistance of all the sensors, solenoid operated valves and pressure and fluid level sensors at the CPU connector. Found a high resistance in one the pressure release valves circuits for the rear brakes in the hydraulic unit. Corrected corroded connector for the valve in the hydraulic unit. Still the ABS light stays on continuously. I proceeded to bench check all the relays and diodes and connections to them. No anamolies were found. At this point I was 98% sure it was the ABS CPU itself that was bad. I opened it up and found no obvious signs failure(something smoked or burnt up) or any cold solder joints.

Found a used ABS computer on ebay for $500. Sounded like a good deal to me because Ricambi wanted $4900 for a new one. Bought it and got it this morning. Connected it up and the ABS light now turns off after approx 4 secs indicating it passed internal self testing. No stored fault codes. I still need to road test the ABS when I get the steering column back together. I just had to repair the combination switch because the spring that activates the directional self canceling feature broke. I was able to fabricate a replacement spring inside the combination switch from a stapler spring.

Thanks again for those that responded with service data. Cam in very handy when trouble shooting.

6. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    I can just picture the Ferrari factory assembly line with dozens of staplers pulled apart on the floor so they could instal the springs in the mondial abs system.

7. gwroclaw

gwroclaw Rookie

May 28, 2010
    I appreciate your humor but I want to clear up the fact that the spring I fashioned from the stapler went into the directional switch portion of the combination switch on the steering column. Not into any portion of the ABS system.