0726 history deserves a thread of its own | FerrariChat

0726 history deserves a thread of its own

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by elmotorizado, May 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. elmotorizado

elmotorizado Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    #1 elmotorizado, May 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This car spent almost a year in Venezuela, wich is well documented, in my investigation in the web and copys of book pages, that were given to me by Fayen's widow I see a lot of speculation to say the least, lets see whay can we gather with the members of this prestigious site.
    branko
    PS, the last picture a got from this car is from the late Felix Varona's family when the car was ready to ship by PAN AM, either to Cuba or Nassau.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Anything else that you have and would like to post please do. I will go thru my files and see what I have. just one man's opinion tongascrew

3. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    This should be an interesting thread... I truly wonder if anyone will get this one right this time or repeat more of the myths and rumors that have followed and haunted this one for the past near 50 years.

Have at her Mates and good luck!

Bill

4. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    #4 elmotorizado, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
    Hi Bill, What I have read so far isnt credible from my side, this car was never in Brazil or belonged to Lagartixa like some sources say, I have documents of late 70s and early 80s that show intentions of retrieven the car from Cuba.
    I would also like to know what changes were made to the car to convert to 59 prototype specs.
    Do you have or can lead me to something to read about this car.
    Thanks.
    branko

5. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    #5 Tad Cody, May 25, 2011
    Gorgeous TR, and sounds like the story behind it will be intriguing, so I'm interested to hear what the history is (and why there may be disparities).

In the interim, I cleaned up the first, faded picture a bit- hope nobody feels it's over-restored. I did not have Classiche's blessing. :)

Thanks to the folks in the Vintage section for having the sexiest f-cars and the most interesting stories, yet again. Look forward to hearing the story (and more pictures, please!)

Cheers,
    Tad

6. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    #6 elmotorizado, May 25, 2011
    March 15 1959, the first and only race of Lino Fayen in 0726 before he sold it to Ettore Chimeri to buy 1377, we see him leading 0758 driven by Mauricio Marcotulli who ended winning the race.
    branko

7. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    #7 elmotorizado, May 27, 2011
  8. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    #8 elmotorizado, May 29, 2011
  9. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    #9 elmotorizado, Jun 4, 2011
  10. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    #10 elmotorizado, Jun 8, 2011
  11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Wonderful pictures, thank you for sharing them.

12. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    +1

Thank you so much for obliging my request. Proof positive I was born ~40 years late...

Cheers,
    Tad

13. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Don't worry about it.F Chat will make you feel you haven't really missed much. just one man's opinion tongascrew

14. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    I've been fortunate in that I've been to a huge number of events with the vintage Ferraris, from Pebble to Cavallino to Retromobile, numerous other concours and vintage races at numerous tracks, so I've likely seen, heard, and smelled more of the old cars than most born after me will ever get to, however what I have no doubt missed is ownership... the days of $6000 TRs and $7500 GTOs is long gone, as well, likely, as the opportunity to actually drive these cars the way I'd like to*.

And yep, F Chat rocks, especially for those who can't be where the cars are. Been a subscribed member here since 2006 as I see you have as well! :)

Cheers,
    Tad

*Note to all readers: If you were thinking about letting me drive your vintage Ferrari up until this comment, rest assured that I would never drive yours the way I'd really like to. Unless, of course, you asked me to. ;)

15. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    #15 elmotorizado, Jun 13, 2011
  16. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    So Branko,

What is the story of Ferrari ownership in Caracas? Were these guys oil company executives, or sons of? I think Venezuela seemed to be the South American country with the most Ferrari's but unlike Argentina or Brazil there is no history (well known to me) of race car drivers coming from there. And unlike La Carrera Panamericana in Mexico there was no famous road race that brought outsiders down to race there. Thanks for any thoughts you have.

17. jsalgatti

jsalgatti Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    Hi Yale:
    It is true that in the past years, there has been hardly or not at all information about the Venezuelan automobile and racing activities but you can find some recent information at the following links:

http://www.pasionalavelocidad.com/phpBB3/
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265950&highlight=Ferraris+en+Venezuela

18. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    #18 elmotorizado, Jun 17, 2011
    Yale follow Salgatti's suggestions, plenty of information about races cars and drivers from Venezuela.
    It really surprises me that there is not more information on 0726, here 2 more pictures of the car at Varona's shop in Caracas, the was Chimeri's yoy can see #6.
    branko

19. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #19 Aardy, Jun 17, 2011
    Another pic of La Trinidad in 1959...

20. jsalgatti

jsalgatti Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    I still have some doubts on wether this car was the TR59 prototype as mentioned in barchetta.cc According to some other sources, the prototype was fitted with Dunlop disc brakes and had a clear hood scoop, among other updates.

21. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    This car was never a prototype of anything. It was simply one of two Works Team cars for the 58 Season. By the end of the Season it was deemed surplus to the needs of the Scuderia Ferrari and sold off to recoup money, end of story.

Ciao,

Bill

22. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Why?

Is there something we are all missing about this car?

Isn't this the car which went to Cuba for a race, where the driver crashed, and was thrown to his death?
    The car ending up in a ravine-where it remained, due to costs associated with "retieval"- for MANY years-and exposed to the elements?

It has been an urban legend-for years-that a man was able to get into CUBA in the 1980s, "paid" his way to the "remains"(really now....), cut off a data tag and a section of frame and carried them through customs "in the breast pocket of his blazer"...
    clearly....this urban legend and fishing story, CAN'T be the reason you think we need to have a thread dedicated to these scurrulous rumors?
    And,

What of the man who owns the car which bears the tag currently?

Like Bill says...once a TEAM car is nolonger competitive...sell it!
    Prototypes ONLY ended up with "concessionaires" and, or, significant customers/ "patrons"(financially speaking) of the Factory's Racing Programme...
    Only on a select few examples can I think of fellas from SA getting..."prototypes"...
    Again, I have to concur with Bill's view there..

Cars usualy ended up in SA at the END of a season ...as it was cheaper to sell all of the stuff, cars, and spares for a tidy profit to a "rich" sporting gent, than it was to fly all of what was imminently to become "last years" garb... Not MY opinion, its what an "oldtimer" told me...35 years ago...

23. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #23 GIOTTO, Jun 18, 2011
  24. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    We are missing the truth, and that is what I am after everything concerning my country's racing "VENEZUELA"

This driver was called ETTORE CHIMERI

As I stated before my only interest is the truth.
    By the way I had to look for the word scurrulous and the only similar I found was scurrilous, and if the translation I found is correct, it has nothing to do with my intentions.

Only the truth will tell, like all the investigations, some people will not like the outcome, an oldtimer told me, the investigations most go all the way no matter what, the goal is the truth
    branko
    PS hope I made myself understood inspite of the language barrier

25. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    So for those of us who are not familiar with this story or the possible explanation theories, can someone please summarise the options and supporting evidence? Very interesting saga!