Alternator caught on fire :( | FerrariChat

Alternator caught on fire :(

Discussion in '308/328' started by wakko, Jun 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wakko

wakko Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Eric Becker
    #1 wakko, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have been giving my '77 308 some TLC after the former owners hacked it together. Just got done with a clutch job, plugs and wires, new / upgraded fuse box, reconditioned radiator, new old stock steering wheel (some one removed mine), etc.

Thank goodness I keep a fire extinguisher in ever car I drive. I noticed black smoke instead of blue (which is normal for mine now). I was able to put out the tiny flame quickly. I don't think anything but the alt and wires were damaged.

In my research on here, I my have found the reason for the fire. The pix I have see of other belt configurations is different than mine, and I have see a heat shield made for the alt. My car has one belt for the water pump and the alt, and the belt has to be tight to stay on. On others I see a belt tensioner for the water pump and a separate belt for the alt. Where can I get this belt tensioner to put on my car? Do I need to build a heat shield for the alt, as it sits directly over the exhaust?

Every time I save a $1 it seems to find its way to this car.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 miketuason, Jun 17, 2011
  3. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    It's not that simple, as you'll need a new crankshaft dampener, as well. Your current belt setup uses a two-groove crank pulley. To use the three-belt set-up, as shown in your photo, a three-groove crank pulley will be be need. As I recall the belt/pulley offsets are different on the two belt versus three belt setup. If you decide to go down this path, you've got a bit of work ahead of you...as well as considerable cost, with little really to gain.

David

4. wakko

wakko Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Eric Becker
    Thank you both for the quick replies. I used this photo as a reference for the part that is circled, it is not my actual engine. I live an hour and a half away from where I keep my cars, and work on them.

I will take pix of mine and post tomorrow. My engine does not have the part that is circled, the pulley on the water pump has to smal "v" grooves, and I think the crank has 2 or 3 small "v" grooves.

5. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    As has been said, you are talking about upgrading from the earlier 2 belt design to the later 3 belt design. I would think you would almost certainly need to change the damper pulley & even if you could find one the question/problem is going to be about lining everything up.

6. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #6 ME308, Jun 18, 2011
  7. wakko

wakko Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Eric Becker
    #7 wakko, Jun 19, 2011
    Ok mine looks like the first one. Here are pix after I removed the alt.

I want to build a heat shield between the alt and the exhaust. Also I think my alt is after market because it does not have a closed back with an air hose on it like I have seen in other pix.

Thoughts? comments?

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You are becoming confused by the various configurations over the years.

The 1977 doesn't have the air hose fitting.
    There IS a rubber boot, that insulates the charging wire terminal???

It is somewhat protected by a bent sheet heat shield on the header below it, together with a plate shield on the back mounted on the four studs to the rear of the alternator.

The three belt system was an improvement so when your water pump seized it didn't take the alternator off with it, but truthfully the dash light coming on is a good indicator "something is wrong"!!!

While you fire is dramatic it is probably the result of an oil leak ON to the alternator, together with a failure of the unit (or even more likely a short of the output wire that goes back to the starter to charge the battery.

Fix it and drive on.

Next time I have the alternator shield off in my hand I can get you one made...