328 luggage | FerrariChat

328 luggage

Discussion in '308/328' started by Drew_4RE, Jun 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    So with my most recent purchase I was trying to track down some luggage for the 328. I did a search and Tex had mentioned schedoni would sell them directly. Well I emailed them and actually got a nice reply from Simone Schedoni himself saying that they don't make it anymore and they aren't even allowed to sell it directly even if they did! You would have to go through the Ferrari dealer network, but even if I did that and had a group buy of 10-20 sets, it still would be cost prohibitive for them. He did invite me for a factory tour which I thought was very nice though.

What's too bad is I remember about 5 yrs ago when I got my first 328 I went on the Ferrari owners site and you could buy it new. Wish I had then!

The search continues.

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I confirm, I had the same information about a year ago: the 308/328 luggage is no longer available "new on order", even through the official dealers. I have a correct period set for one of my cars, and was looking for another one that would match the "grigio" leather of the other car.

And, not wanting to rub salt into the wound, the "newer" Schedoni sets, those made on order until about two years ago, may not be "period correct", or of "correct vintage" if you prefer, but have the advantage that the lining did not deteriorate in a zillion tiny flakes as it did on most of the luggage sold with the cars during the eigthies.
    I like to travel with mine, but usually end up dusting my clothes...I don't mind, but my wife is not that enthusiast...or you have to pack everything before putting them into the luggage.

I seem to recall, but I am not positive on this, that the decomposition of most of these vintage linings is due to the fact that Ferrari insisted on having some liner that could easily be washed, so Schedoni incorporated (don't ask me how, I don't know) by a way or another some natural rubber to the liner, and there is nothing than can prevent natural rubber deterioration. Hence the zillion flakes...

It's a pity, as the external leather usually hold up very, very well; and even looks better with age.

There are variations in these luggage sets, identifiable through the handles of the two small cases: some have handles that simply fold on the side, some have handles that fold like a pantograph. And the one small case that has a curved side has a different handle placing.
    I have also seen one set made in a different kind of leather, that is "grained leather".

The cars for the italian market, called "Turbos", has a slightly different luggage set: the two long cases were replaced by a sole one, of the same volume that the two usual one, more or less like a big box if you like.

3. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Do a quick search here: iirc, someone has a new-in-the-box set, not actively for sale but would hear offers.

4. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    What a wealthnof knowledge on the set! Thank you very much for sharing all the info!

5. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I actually PM'd him before I reached out to the factory but didn't hear back.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #6 BigTex, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
    There's several Fchatters holding sets that might sell for the right price...I admit I NEVER use mine!!

Tifosi12 (Andreas in Chicago) comes to mind as does Robert whose last name I cannot recall but have somewhere in my note pads...let me search.
    Scan the numerous threads on this and you'll find him.

That's a shame they cannot make them to order any more.

I recall that recent New In Box set post as well.....

7. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    If you actually want usable luggage for the car then perhaps consider this stuff

http://www.hillsalive.co.uk/page52.shtml

Its not leather, its not schedoni, but its a good deal more practical than the original 4 piece kits I think (and a good deal less expensive!)

8. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    #8 Pass, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Whoa! Those are gorgeous, and quite reasonable. Reminds me of luggage I saw at Swaine, Adeney & Brigg. Looks like really nice work.

10. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    It's funny -- so often the most expensive part of a sports car is the factory-original luggage.

I know that Triumph offered a suitcase to fit the TR2, but I've never seen one outside of one that was in the restoration book. Heck, I've never even heard of any others.

And all my Mercedes 300SL friends joke that whenever a car is put up for sale, the Rudge wheels come off and the luggage comes out!

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Hi Drew,

I even found a passable picture of the set for the 328 Turbo; it is not a very high definition picture, but you actually see the large suitcase that, for that set, replaces the two slim and long suitcase that we know for the standard 328 set. Hope the link works...

http://www.classicdriver.com/upload/images/_de/4029/img01.jpg

Best,

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    And here a link to a beautiful set for a 328:

http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Ferrari/89_Ferrari_328_GTS_079810_DV-08_CC_i01.jpg

This one is interesting as the leather is rather darker than standard...and it is what I call the "Variant 2" of the set:
    Note that the two small cases both have "pantograph" handles, and that, of those two small cases, the one with the curved side is designed to sit vertical, upright (= its small side is at the bottom) with its handle on the top.
    Whereas in what I call the "Variant 1" of the set, on the two small cases, 1. the handles fold simply by lying on their side, and 2. the one with the curved side sits with the large side at the bottom and the handle is in the middle of the curved side (designed to sit horizontal)
    It would be better with a picture of the "Variant 1" of set, but at the present I cannot find a free one...

Best

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #13 nerofer, Jun 23, 2011
    Sorry for my absentmindness: I do have a free picture of the "variant 1" of the luggage set: it's the one of my car and I took the picture, so...forgive me, it is not very good, but by comparing it with the one of the first set, you will see the differences in the folding method of the handle of the two small cases, and also see that the one with the curved side is designed to sit not vertical, but horizontal.

Hope the attachment works:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. lewis

lewis Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    South Florida
    #14 lewis, Jun 23, 2011
    Attached is photo of set I have - I have never used it so I am ok parting with it

Note - i am missing the 4th piece (the square box)

Best
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #15 BigTex, Jun 23, 2011
  16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE

Big Tex,

The standard color for the set was this "Tan / Honey / Havana" leather, with variations in tone/color. If you asked for the luggage set, this was the color you get.
    But there was at least one other color option for the luggage, which is "Black leather"; some black luggage sets do appear from time to time: there was one beautiful set on E-Bay UK about eight month ago ("Variant 2", one with "pantograph handles")
    I would not be surprised that you could specify any special order, to match the set to your car's leather, i.e any of the seven colors for interior leather. I have seen a blue leather case once (not the whole set, just one case).
    I seem to recall that the Schedoni company has a register, by year, in which they record all the sets they have manufactured.

Best

17. clarkson

clarkson Rookie

Jan 11, 2009
    Devon UK
    Full Name:
    clarkson lock
    What's a full set worth do you think.

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Difficult to say, but O.K, let's risk an answer...

I would say that it depends first and foremost on the demand:
    In Europe, if the four-piece set (in fair state, let's say that there is not too much flaking on the lining...) is put for sale on E-Bay for instance and three or four persons enter into a price war, you might easily end with prices as high as 3000 euros for a very good set (about 2700 GBP, more or less)
    On the other hand, if nobody reacts, you might creep in unnoticed just before the end of the auctionand "steal" it for 2000 euros (about 1800 GBP); it happens.

I would say (its my guess only) that a very good set that you can actually look at (i.e, sold by a professionnal in a garage or in any shop) could easily command as much as 3500 to 4000 euros these days; even if it does not sell immediately, ultimately it would: the set is no longer available new by Schedoni, no longer produced.

But care must be taken to the flaking, which is difficult to juge on pictures...and also you have to be sure that the full set is indeed a 308 or 328 set: the two "long case", for instance, were also part of the Testarossa's set, in which case it was written "testarossa" on their flap...so you don't want to end with one case from a testarossa set!

Also, keep in mind, as in our exchange with Big Tex, that you have a lot of variations in color/tone and leather between sets, so care must be taken that the four pieces are indeed identical, that is from one set; re-assorting is not easy.

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Color matching the interior came much later,....more common in Enzos and 550s.

All the TR sets I have seen were tan or black, I have seen 308/328 sets in black.

I payed $2200USD for my used set, no flaking.
    Complete with all keys/fobs and outer canvas (logo printed) protective sacks...there's some slip covers in the shoe bag also.

Robert Retzkoff.......he has a set for sale and we could never get to the price as he had paid $3,000USD for his.

Someone should jump on the thre of four pieces offer!
    If ya'll won't I will!!! LOL!

But truthfully, my small closet is getting pretty full!!!

Rifledriver (IIRC) once stated there is even a North American vs Euro sizing on the 328 cases as the North American trunk is actually shallower than the Euro.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I also chased a deal with a 456 owner in London that his wife had purchased a 328 set for him, and got it wrong!

He had a ready buyer in the $2,500USD range, when I stepped out of the deal.

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE

Hello Big Tex,

I respectfully challenge you with this T.R set: not tan, not black, but...the seller says "Camel"...! (hope the thread works)

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Lot-de-5-bagages-FERRARI-TESTAROSSA-/330580552798?pt=FR_YO_Vetements_Bagages&hash=item4cf822ec5e

Best,

22. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Maybe it was done to match the stuff in the engine bay which also disintegrates into flakes! At least there is consistency here!

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Brilliant; thanks for this one, Andy...I'll think about it next time I'll dust these @#|}! flakes! Or try to put his stuff in the negine bay in place...

Best,

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The cars for the italian market, called "Turbos", has a slightly different luggage set: the two long cases were replaced by a sole one, of the same volume that the two usual one, more or less like a big box if you like.

Gentleman,

For those interested in the different luggage sets of the 308/328 series, and for your general information, here is a picture of the big case that, for the italian "Turbos", took the place of the two long cases that we are familiar with: (hope the link works)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Ferrari-Reisetasche-Schedoni-schwarzem-Leder-TOP-/180722639652?pt=Automobilia_DE&hash=item2a13e8a324

Best,

25. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I might look into getting a leather set made next time I'm in Turkey or Morocco etc.

Are the dims of the 328 compartment the same as the 308? Does anyone have the dims of each piece of the original luggage?

I currently use red kayak dry bags from Ortlieb, two of which fit very snugly. They are soft, very light and very robust. But leather would be very classy.