sunvisor fix | FerrariChat

sunvisor fix

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by fatbillybob, May 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #1 fatbillybob, May 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is how to fix a passenger 550 sunvisor. This is a known problem on the passenger side. Not sure if the driver side is ever a problem. The universal problem seems to be a droopy visor because the plastic internals fail.

part# is 65513000 purchased from Ricambi for $68.00. See part number #24 here:
    http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_...p?V=diag&I=368
    Check your build number there are several PN's. One of these days someone should check if the driver's pin is hollow like the passenger for the mirror light. If it is solid that may explain why it does not break as often as the passenger side. The part is called an electrical pin but it is really the hinge assembly

Disassembly is the reverse of assembly. here is the new part right and the broken part left. You can see the detented plastic part has shearded off and is stuck in the visor.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #2 fatbillybob, May 22, 2010
    I could not pull the broken stem out of the visor because another detent is holding and the piece to grab is too small. The visor cover has two rows of thread stitched like a zipper. You can see that here where I removed the central holding thread and left tags on either end to tie on new thread when I close.

3. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #3 fatbillybob, May 22, 2010
    Closer inspection of the new part shows why these break. They are cr@p new just like the plastic interior bits are sticky right from the factory. My photo is not great but look here you can see the plastic already splitting off the metal rod. The plastic is kinda vaccum molding onto the metal tube. The plastic eventually breaks and the tube spins free and the visor droops. Oh well I'll see how long this lasts. Maybe one day I'll mill myself one out of aluminum and it will last for ever.

4. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #4 fatbillybob, May 22, 2010
    OK so I still need access. The visor is like a styrofoam kids airplane wing melted over a internal plastic frame. I use this razor blade to cut down to the barrel that holds the pin. You can see the clip that the shapped pin rides on and that is what makes the visor stay up. Pliers to pull like crazy in a back and forth twisting way to extract the little biotch. With the pin removed you can see the retainer that does the work.

5. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #5 fatbillybob, May 22, 2010
  6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Just don't flip the visor anymore and it should last forever too. ;)

But that's a nice fix...and stitching too.

Barry

7. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    FBB ... Great description & photos thanks very much. Why is it so handy to be a fly fisher and own Ferraris ??
    I would have to say pfft to the the thickness of suture material .. should see what I use for my 7/0 Marlin flys :):)

8. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Excellent diagnosis and remedy.

Note to self:
    step 1 - remember that FBB knows how to fix droopy sun visors, if mine ever starts to droop.
    step 2 - remove visor from car & ship droopy visor to FBB for repair
    step 3 - re-install fixed visor upon return & drive happily thereafter.

Thanks!

9. garypadgett

garypadgett Rookie

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary Padgett
    I was thinking a little piece of velcro on the headliner and the other piece on the visor and waalaa its fixed:) Just kidding.

Nice job and explanation and pics.

Remind me why we pay what we do for these cars and then endure the outrageous maintenance expenses and crappy durability.

Gary

10. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Good info here. Thanks

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- Great job, thanks. I wonder if some were broken using windshield sun blockers? My vosor droops a little, too, but I need red thread to repair. Maybe some of Philip's Marlin fly thread would work. I am too lazy to tie flies. Once ordered 200 dozen from my local fly shop.

Ever seen a size 20 Stimulator? I have them and they work great on tailwaters.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

12. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Great post!

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks very much.
    This is what makes FChat great!

14. RWG0417

RWG0417 Karting

Dec 20, 2007
    Midwest/SanDiego
    Great post! Thanks. I have this problem with my 575. Sorry to admit, but I tried the velcro option. Since my interior is black it actually was discreet and held until the windows went down. Makes it interesting for first time riders as they try to hang on, look out window and continually adjust sunvisor. If I have a short passenger it really doesn't matter as it can stay down........lol.

15. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Good Job !

16. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #16 ferraridriver, Jun 26, 2011
    Thanks to FBB for a great thread, I did mine but I tried a shortcut which eliminates the need to cut the stitching.

Get a 1/4" long (2-3 in.) carriage bolt, screw the bolt into the broken plastic part in the visor fairly firmly. Put the head of the bolt in a vise and yank on the visor. The plastic sleeve will pop right out on the bolt.

I took it a bit farther, I whittled out a duplicate of the plastic sleeve out of 6061 aluminum, clocked it properly, then bonded it to the tube with Loctite 620. Put everything back together and now I have a permanent fix, and it was free.

17. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    +1.
    Perfect timing for me ferraridriver as in the middle of tackling this, and getting ready to explore if there was a way around doing visor surgery.

Have been wanting to take a moment and thank the people that take the time to post their experience's and their idea's that make life much easier for the DIY's on this Forum. Taz, FBB, ferraridriver, and the many more that save us huge time and money and actually make these cars more affordable for those who are reaching to own one.
    I enjoy turning a wrench but get very anxious when working on something new especially where mistakes can be expensive. So when searching the archives and a hit surfaces that helps answer the current question, there is great relief. Thank You Guys for sharing your knowledge and time...

Bill
    FL

jcam likes this.
  18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- I am in full droop now. How much for a duplicate of your aluminum piece? I have charcoal visors with red stitching and do not want to rip the thread and restitch. Plus your fix is permanent.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

19. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Dave, you can probably sell those to us in bulk. I'd buy one :)

I just fixed the visor for the second time, I know there will be a third..

-dsd

20. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I was afraid of this :) :)

What are the forum rules about selling parts? I don't want to get banned but I'm not adverse to making up a dozen or so. I'm guessing about $50, how does that sound?

Here's the problem, the detent that holds the visor up is the spring metal clip in the visor that you can see in one of FFB's pictures. The flats on the aluminum piece have to be in the same position as they were on the plastic. What you have to do is, after getting the broken plastic sleeve out is drill out the bore so it will slide easily back on the tube. I used letter C bit.

Then you have to slid the plastic back on the tube and carefully line up the broken edges so the flats are properly clocked. Mark the tube or the plastic so you can clock the aluminum sleeve in the same position. Use Loctite 620 retaining compound and let cure for 24 hours before inserting into visor. Lube with a stick lube, especially on the flats, Q-tip a small bit of lube into the spring clip, then push in.

21. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Dave's fix is better than mine. I know my use of Ferrari parts will fail again. We just do not know when. On the 3rd post you can already see the new piece failing and my comment that the hot ticket would be to make an aluminum piece as Dave has done.

Dave...one thing you could do if you don't want to sell the pieces is to ship one to me and my kid can measure it and design it on Autodesk/autocad. Then I'll send you back the part. The file could be made free to anyone who wants it. Then they could could just download the file and take it to any cad/ cam machine shop and have the part made.

22. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I bought an entire new visor when my passenger side broke, ($900 I think) now my drivers side is broken, need a permanent fix as well!

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #23 tazandjan, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
    Dave- Helping each other is not against the rules. You make a whole lot more money at your real job. PM me with an address and I will send you the money.

I have no shop, not even a drill press, so cannot make one myself.

FBB's idea has merit, too, if you want to get out of the production business. Daniel might be interested, too.

I will buy two, just in case the driver's side also takes a hike.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

24. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I'd be in for two as well.

That's a guarantee of 4 sold :)

Best,
    dsd

25. 12659