F430 rear bumper seriously damaged arrggghh! | FerrariChat

F430 rear bumper seriously damaged arrggghh!

Discussion in '360/430' started by SfefVan, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #1 SfefVan, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Arrggghh, now it's me who is asking for some good help here!

Some days, sh.t happens!

After a very long day driving during an official Swiss Ferrari event, I decided to leave the "Gala evening" feeling well too tired (and I'm never drinking any kind of alcohol ;) ). The car was parked in an underground parking of a prestigious hotel. I reversed, had no clue there was a huge pilar behind me, and BANG ! I knew immediately that this was not just a simple crash on the paint...We got out of the car and, seeing the impact, felt everything sinking into my feet...this is quite serious! Stupid me! Shame on me!

The main damage is on the rear bumper which has a big hole. The extractor got an indirect shock I think and I can see that I received a good torsion during the impact. The extractor is still holding up well and isn't entirely broken. I haven't dismantled everything yet to check if there is no other damage behind the rear bumper. Hopefully not.

As the rear bumper is made of fiber glass, do you think that a good body shop working in for instance in the boat business can get this layered up again? The extractor doesn't seem to be made of fibrer glass but off some kind of combined materials. Do you think the extractor is repearable too?

I posted some photos so that you can evaluate the damage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #2 SfefVan, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The right hand side (rear part) got also seriously scratched but this should be a simple paint job as the primer has not been damaged, neither the body part it self. Looks like the paint got "shaved" in a very precise way. That was a vertical metallic part who "shaved" the paint...

Thanks very much in advance,
    Stef

3. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Arrggghh!

I feel for you Stef!

I'd say the bumper itself will be easily repaired by someone familiar with working with those materials.

I'm not so sure about the "extractor" but suspect it too can probably be repaired but you may need several layers of material built up behind in order to give it structural rigidity.

I look forward to seeing how your repairs turn out. Best of luck.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Stef,

I'll bet a body shop can fix that fiberglass just fine... if it were me I'd have them repair it (from what I see). I'm sure the other guys can chime in here...

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stef- All easily repairable. The bumper is plastic composite of some sort, as is the extractor, and repairs at a good shop should be indistinguishable from new. Both my front and rear bumpers have been repainted and will need it again in a couple of years.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

6. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Boy,i can feel your pain!!!! Hate to see this...I never did this with my F cars, but a had a one year old 993 cab that I was backing out of the garage to wash with the drivers door open!!! bent the door, the lock, ruined the paint with a dented scratch!!! Talk about stupid...i never did that again....the good news is this is all easily repairable at a good shop...should be good as new..think of it as a lesson learned and if its the worst thing that happens to your car, then its not too bad....SS

7. ClassicGuy

ClassicGuy Karting

May 28, 2005
    Calgary Canada
    Stef,

Very sorry to hear, and I empathize, but these things happen to those of us who drive our cars - so you are in good company. I had a slight stress crack in the rear bumper and some scrapping to the rear diffuser, which was repaired and resprayed by a reputable shop here, and both look terrific with a very modest invoice.

Have the shop cut polish your car at the same time, and your first drive after you pick up your car will have you feel great about your car and help you to forget the whole incident.

CG

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Completely fixable!

And, when it's done, you'll be happier than ever!

Keep us informed. Sorry to hear about it though... but, it will be beautiful again before you know it.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They will need to remove them, but all of those are definately repairable, in my opinion....

Sorry that happened.
    I REALLY dislike enclosed garages!

I look all 12 ways before moving around in them....

Hope it's all good again soon!!

10. mikebrinda

mikebrinda Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2008
    The sinking feeling will go away the faster you get in to the shop.

Mike

11. BentleyKWT

BentleyKWT Karting

Jun 15, 2011
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Bentley KWT
    Stefvan,

Its not that bad. I have done worse, so no worries.

I would not say its an easy fix, because you would need to resurface and paint the whole bumper and panel that is scratched, but it would not cost much.

If you need a new part, you can get parts from a "f430 kit car", they are built to exact specs and the material is the same. It is just MUCH cheaper because it does not come from Ferrari.

That guy with the CS Modena on here "chris" had a big hole in his extractor, and did a perfect job repairing it by himself.

Send him a PM, I am sure he can give you the answers you exactly need

12. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

yep, enclosed garages are a pain! I've done the same exact thing with my car, stone cold sober.

13. AEman69A

AEman69A Karting

Jan 13, 2011
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    As others have pointed out, it is nothing too serious to fret about.

I once reversed in a friend's driveway not seeing his kids bike laying down behind me. It took a chunk of the extractor out and damaged the rear bumper a bit.

I took it to a competent and reputable shop and both were repaired as new. Both are made from composite plastics and easy to fill in, then you sand down the old paint, re-prime and paint.

The extractor is even easier as there is nothing that it needs to "match" whereas the bumper needs to be professionally painted so as to avoid any difference in tone between the bumper and grill/rear quarters.

14. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    may be a good time to upgrade for the scuderia look.

15. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

It is repairable as stated; but it may well be cheaper to use 2nd hand salvage diffuser and bumper. There are heaps available, they are bolt on and cheap.

16. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Hey man, sorry about your mishap. I vicariously learned the lesson of always checking your surroundings before backing up. But the better lesson learned here is to order your next car with parking sensors (or backup camera) < he he>.

Both bumper and diffuser can be repaired by somebody who knows what he's doing. But the difusser will be trickier. Here's what I'd do in your place: remove both bumper and diffuser, take them to a reputable bodyshop in a truck's bed, and ask HOW they'd fix them, and what kind of guarantee they'd give you against the repair showing over time. I'd also ask if difusser will have its previous structural integrity; if not, I'd buy a new one (or an unbroken used one and just paint it). It's critical the same kind of material is used for the repair so it doesn't expand and contract at different rates, which is what makes a repair visible over time (we're talking thousandths of an inch, but that's enough to make a repair visible). The homework you have to do is find out exactly what material both parts are made of (fiberglass, FRP, etc), and make sure bodyshop has worked with them before, plus they can guarantee their work for at least 5 years. And best of all, your car will be safely parked at home while the repairs are done; that'd be my main worry. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

17. Robdownunder

Robdownunder Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No sensors on the back Stef?
    Even if they were there, it might not have picked it up anyway.
    Bad luck there....you don't deserve it.
    Rob.

18. chris430

chris430 Karting

Oct 30, 2005
  19. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    It sucks man!

20. bryanc4

bryanc4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    Delray/Boca, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    a half way decent body man will fix that and paint for less than $1,000.

21. lilleprins

lilleprins Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Torslanda , Sweden
    Full Name:
    Anders T.
    Extractor is the easiest part to fix. As you probably already know. Just check so they will fix some sort of reinforcement at the backside or it will sooner or later crack again.
    Reinforcement type - Al tube and epoxi. And let it all hardeneing for a couple of days before they start with the surface.
    Maybee it is time to change colour on the extractor?

//A

22. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Thanks so much to everybody for your support and great ideas. Someone wrote even that I should take the opportunity to make the move to the Scud rear+exhaust. I must say that this came also to my mind but it is a huge job from what I have seen in Germany. Maybe a 2012 project ;)

It's a good lesson what happened. I agree with those who wrote that I should check first what's around the car before getting in. Simple but very good advice which I should apply every time. Once inside a F430, you can't see anything behind the car. The other thing I learned is that you're getting very used to parking sensors of the daily driver. When the brain isn't recording any alarm sound, unconsciously the brain thinks that everything is fine...well not when I'm in the F430 (without parking sensors) ;)

This will be a step by step job. This weekend, I will remove the diffuser so that I can see better the damage on it. From outside, I can clearly see that the extractor received a huge stress and is not straight anymore (impact was finally received first by the lip of the diffuser, then the rear bumper) . You can see it very well on the photo too. The lip near the white impact is higher than the rest.

I'll remove the rear bumper also and make sure nothing behind got broken. The licence plate light is broken for sure but that's not a big deal. I'll certainly will follow the advice of sending both parts to a body shop for repair (and not the car itself). Once this is fixed, then next step will be a repaint job of the RH rear side panel.

I'll keep you updated ;) Thanks again guys!

23. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    May be a stupid suggestion, I actually installed a wireless reverse camera via 2.4GHZ, just hook up the reverse light, and a iPhone size monitor stick to windscreen. ( for my normal daily car) Then you can see what's going on at the back. Total price may be USD200. So a huge saving compare to this very bad luck situation.

Good luck buddy, may be its good time for the scud tail upgrade.

Try yahoo.co.jp for parts they are sometimes better buy than e-bay.

I will post some link fir you later.

24. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT