Sheehan Sez - Avoid Ferrari Chat! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Sheehan Sez - Avoid Ferrari Chat!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Texas Forever, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #51 WCH, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
    From the perspective of a seller, including a dealer, mention of damage in a Carfax report can kill a car, regardless of the actual amount of damage. Some dealers find that a car that's only been involved in a fender bender becomes a very hard sale.

I'm all for disclosure of accurate information; the idea of hiding from the internet is very 90s. Good luck with that.

OTOH I have seen inaccurate information circulated on the internet about my own cars. I have received inaccurate information about my cars from internet experts. I have received inaccurate information about cars from well known brokers, at least one of whom should have known better. Who knows, maybe I have unwittingly circulated inaccurate information - I hope not.

There are so very few people you can trust. And I think part of the problem is buyers who want a perfect car, but aren't sophisticated or energetic enough to do the legwork, or willing to pay up for perfection.

I agree with Rob that fchat has been good for owners.

2. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #52 jm3, Jun 28, 2011
    Actually, you may want to read the latest on that.

Of course I don't have a link, and can't remember if I saw it in print or net..... but apparently the plot has thickened.

Try a yahoogle search

3. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott

+10

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There is a thread down in Vintage about it.....

5. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    #55 Testacojones, Jun 28, 2011
    Agree with you and Jim, but had a two confrontations with dealers telling me to stay off this forum and of course those aren't sponsors.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what, they didn't want you to talk about the dealer? they didn't want you to talk about your car? they didn't want you to talk about anything, even personal on FerrariChat?

what did you tell them?

7. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    This is sort of like when Barrett Jackson kicked Keith Martin out of the auction for saying the Muscle cars were over valued on speed chanel.... People only want to here what you say as long as it does not impact their business....

8. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    #58 Testacojones, Jun 28, 2011
    Yes to your first two questions, to avoid the forum.

I never intended to cause any trouble between them and those customers they consider very important, but posting positive about my new car or talking about it was causing them problems. I saw letters sent from members that included printed posts with mine highlighted. In one letter a member wrote them to not sell me a car, someone else called me a small fish, etc...

The person who directly gave me several talks doesn't work there anymore

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ahh, just making sure there wasn't a collusion among a couple dealers to keep users off FerrariChat all together.

I can certainly see a dealer saying they will work with you on an issue and "in the meantime" keep it off FerrariChat and just speak with them directly. heck, mods will ask users here on FerrariChat having a personal issue to take it "off line".

10. dantealdente

dantealdente Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    wow, if a dealer or any other business that i give my hard earned cash to had the nerve to try to dictate what i do with my life i would quote them the title to cee-lo green's last hit and lay rubber off their lot. truth be told if i didn't know about this site and a dealer told me that i would break records searching for this site. this is a great site rob, keep it up!

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    BTW, I believe Sheehan is yanking our collective chains. Guess what he is pitching today?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    1978 Ferrari 308 GTB Serial Number 25823

Say what you will, Man's got a sense of humor.

Dale

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

That is funny. I once offered him access to the most pristine 330gt on the planet, and all I got back was a lengthy explaination of how the lower tier Ferrari's are of no interest to him. You just can't generate enough income out of a car like that.

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    or maybe Ferrari Advocacy Group *** LOL

14. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Thread hijack: let me tell you all about how I sidestepped my clutch and switched to recycled motor oil.

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    When I got the email I was lmao.

16. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Zing.

Zing.

These made me seriously LOL.

Anyone advising owners to hide information is shady.

17. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Anyone advising owners to hide information is shady."

I have heard this from a couple dealers and a body shop:

Let's say you have a brand new 599 GTO. As you are pulling up to your house for the first time, one of the workers building your new pyramid shaped garage/shrine backs his pick-up out of your driveway and into your GTO. It's really a fender bender, not a lot of damage, but Ferrari prices being what they are: $25,000 in repairs.

If you make a claim, get a police report, Carfax may note the damage and your eventual loss on resale may be far greater than $25,000. You could argue diminshed value with your insurer. Or you might be inclined to pay the damage out of your own pocket, and not involve police or insurance.

That's my understanding of how the incentives work in the age of Carfax. Buyers tend to treat Carfax damage reports as the kiss of death. I'd personally disclose any damage to one of my cars, as I suspect most here would. But everyone should be aware that there are strong financial incentives to keep problems off Carfax radar. Yet another reason for the emptor to caveat.

18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I wouldn't get too cocky. You mentioned Ferrari of Houston. I was told years ago that the only way to get Mr. Risi to read an email was to print it out and put it in front of his face. That's old school, but it works for his client base.

On the hand, you may become old school. For the life of me, I cannot get my 24-year old son to check his e-mail. The ONLY way to communicate with him is via text. He thinks the Internet is old school.

And the beat goes on.

Dale

19. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "For the life of me, I cannot get my 24-year old son to check his e-mail. The ONLY way to communicate with him is via text. He thinks the Internet is old school."

Dale, does he answer his cell phone? My 22 yo daughter won't check e-mail and won't answer the phone (at least when her father calls). Text only.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's FoH Body Shop, posting here, the Sales side quietly monitors, and never says a word.....:D :D :D

Mr. Risi (not him I am referencing in this post) is a polite and cordial gentleman in my experience, he has signed some Team things for me, and I rode with him in an elevator at the FFQC, thanking him for his $$$$$ support of the event.

Nice guy.

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Roger that. Plus, the only time he calls is when he wants some dough, which happens more often than I care to admit.

Dale

22. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Ouch.

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Sounds like Sheehan is telling folks not to ask for repair advice, or make insurance claims if their car has been damaged, because it could potentially cut into HIS bottom line, if the car passes through his hands at some point.

Anybody can make a post about a particular car on fchat, and it seems sombody on here either owned it, or knew sombody that did at one time. Some of the techs here could really give you the full story on quite a few cars.

Mr Sheehan appears to be scared of the large data base ferrarichat has become. And is also scared of carfax, because it cuts into his profits. Suddenly he has very well informed buyers looking to buy cars. He now must disclose everything about the car, else risk being found out at the stroke of the keyboard.

The internet has changed the used car market dramatically. And it's put the hurt on many used car dealerships. Profits are no where near what they used to be.

24. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Used Google to check some dealers for a recent Audi purchase. Good and bad comments and some horrible ones by customers. Don't recall seeing anything so bad on Fchat.

25. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I have bought a couple of cars that were brokered by Mike Sheehan.

I have to say criticizing sales approaches 3 1/2 years after the last post is kind of out of date.

Mike was always upfront and honest in descriptions. I never had a feeling I was "sold" something by Mike.

What arrived was what was expected. I wouldn't hesitate doing business with Mike again.