McLaren v. 458 Scuderia | Page 2 | FerrariChat

McLaren v. 458 Scuderia

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 65 f.i., Jun 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    That document is saying 458 spider q2 2011. Any news yet?

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    New Enzo next year?? where are the mules??

3. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Its say H2 Hari (half 2). Still on course for a September launch and the public reveal at Frankfurt AFAIK.

4. 65 f.i.

65 f.i. Karting

Feb 10, 2008
    Santa Barbara, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Well, that is an interesting take and some provocative assumptions.

5. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    #30 Lesia44, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
    None too far fetch though considering, with the current round of tests putting the 458 firmly ahead of the McLaren, that just about everyone and their dog now knows the McLaren is neither "faster nor more of a "sportscar" than the current 458". No offence intended, it's just a curious post, that's all. Buy now and enjoy, I say.

6. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Damn well said....haha.....and true.

7. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    #32 Cavallini, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
    If think about his post it makes sense. Always remember your audience, whether speaking or writing. My brows furrowed in the first sentence of your post. I'm sure others had similar reactions. This is F-Chat after all.

8. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    That's what they've been doing and now, thanks to the FF, they can really differentiate each model.

It's a damn near perfect plan.

9. 65 f.i.

65 f.i. Karting

Feb 10, 2008
    Santa Barbara, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Martin
    ??????

10. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Very interesting...

11. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Can anyone confirm this was real? To me it seems just a bit off that they call the new FX0 variant an enzo instead of F40/F50/F60/F70. I doubt they will reuse the enzo name for some reason. Then also the new 458 "scuderia", which they may have an internal designation for the car, but again i wonder if they will reuse the Scuderia name. The 360 was the Challenge Stradale and the 430 was scuderia, i would assume they will come up with a new appropriate name.

12. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    This investor presentation was distributed in 2010.

There may have been delays or rethinking the 458 scuderia at this point due to recalls and sales volume.

However, I do belive Ferrari will have the 458 scuderia to appeal to the other half of buyers that stated the 458 was too calm around town (and hoped for the 458 road car to be more 430 scudish).

When the 458 scuderia is released, it should be the total package (only if if they finish the exterior design of the 458) lol

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Incidentally, on the McLaren performance vs 458 performance in the comparison test above, they claimed hydraulic problems and brought the car back to the same track, but with DOT legal competition Pirelli Corsas. With those tires and their chief test driver, they were still only able to turn a 1:28.0 vs the 458's 128.3 on street tires.

As currently configured with non-defeatable brake-only stability augmentation assistance for the McLaren, the Ferrari with E-Diff is a far superior sports car on the track.

Paper comparisons do not always prove much. That is why they do tests.

How about some photos of your 65 Vette? I had a 63 FI roadster.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

14. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It's real. It refers to the new 612 Scaglietti, which we know to be the FF. The new Enzo will be a replacement of the Enzo and will not use the same name.

15. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    I read that, after brought the car back to the same track and with Ben Collins at wheel, P-Zero corsa fitted, Mp4 did 1:29,2 ...
    http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/26136/attachments/supercartrackv3.pdf

16. fuse

fuse Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    Not so much a MP4 vs 458 thing, but I do wonder about how the brake steer affect different driving conditions.

I can’t say that I know how E-Diff works…but the typical racing pressure plate based LSD have 1-way, 1.5 way, and 2-way action on the differential where you get the effect of the LSD under acceleration only (1-way), acceleration + ½ effect under deceleration (1.5-way) and full effect both acceleration and deceleration (2-way).

Brake steer seems be a good idea as an addition (to me) but not in place of LSD. Under acceleration, I think it can have the same effect varying wheel speed between inside and outside wheels. But under deceleration, what does it do at the limit? Usually top drivers have the ability to brake in the same car, same tire, same surface and same brakes better than a lesser driver…how does one manage trail-braking at the limit when it is doing something for you? Does this cause the comments about nervous braking characteristics? Or detached/disconnected brake feel?

I have CBC in my Mini Cooper S, and I think it only works under braking, not 100% sure. I can feel it working. I tend to corner aggressively and trail brake quite a lot…and it goes thru a lot of brake pads, I was told that it is the CBC causing that. Specially rear brake pads wear out faster than the front ones for me.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Thanks for clearing this up.

18. 65 f.i.

65 f.i. Karting

Feb 10, 2008
    Santa Barbara, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Martin

Terry, Thanks for the info on the 458. In my search, I noticed someone having said something to the effect of wanting to know you have the purchased not only the best styled car but also best performing car when purchasing a Ferrari. The comparisons I have read have indicated the McLaren to be faster and about the same price. Interestingly, I had an opportunity to ride in a 599 GTO and was informed the McLaren is better handling and faster (this from a dealership that sells both). The answer to my desire for a Ferrari that performs better than the McLaren may be to simply wait until the 2013 production run of the 458 Scuderia. A 458 Scuderia Spider may be even more captivating. I know life can be short and opportunities do not necessarily arise at the most opportune time but potentially 700 h.p. through a twin turbo ferrari 458 may be worth the wait.

Regarding the Corvette. I would be happy to send you what I have. The car is about to be painted and hopefully back on the road soon. It's been in the shop for 4 years through a time consuming and, at times, exasperating frame off. Send me your e-mail.

19. Hakan458

Hakan458 Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Hakan
    Wow, can't wait to see the spider in September.

And in iSuk's pic, new Enzo for 2012? :D

20. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007

What's with 700hp twin turbo 458?

A scuderia/challenge stradale version of 458 will never have more than a better tuned engine of 458 italia...

21. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Again the OP seems to have no connection to the subject.

22. 65 f.i.

65 f.i. Karting

Feb 10, 2008
    Santa Barbara, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Martin
    #47 65 f.i., Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
    Lesia, You are correct. I misread the article: The Enzo’s replacement should not be considered a mainstream model like the high-powered 458. Motor Trend thinks that a twin-turbocharged, direct-injection V8 that will power the car will produce around 700 horsepower with a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox. It will most likely have all the latest gizmos that we find on the FXX. T
    The above quote was part of the article regarding the 458 Scuderia. The question still remains: What performance differences should be apparent will be incorporated into the Scuderia.
    Perhaps, given your vast knowledge, you could be of help in contributing to this thread.

23. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Performance isn't going to be able raw numbers to you, it's going to be how the car feels. Or at least I hope you're not going 10/10 on public roads.

24. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Just look at the difference between the F430 and the 430 Scuderia and extrapolate from that.

25. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Couldn't have said it any better.

-G.B.