275 GTB -V- GTB/4 | FerrariChat

275 GTB -V- GTB/4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Jasonjohnyates, Jul 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jasonjohnyates

Oct 16, 2010
    HK/UK
    Full Name:
    Jason John Yates
    Is there much debate between the two? What's the difference, ownership and driving experience? While we are at it, how about Short nose verses Long nose? Seems that dealers prefer to highlight the benefits of the GTB/4 but I wonder how much if that is influenced by the higher prices asked and probable higher margin?

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Long nose is more stable at speed. Later torque tube cars are better as the engine and transaxle are hooked together and less misalignment of drive train occurs. Original cars smoked a lot but valve seals fixes that. Look for rust especially under rear cockpit exit ducts. Six carb cars are more valuable.

These cars cost a lot to restore. The clutch is a bit heavy and the cockpit get hot. The defrosters are iffy. I drove my 2 cam long nose alloy car 65K miles. Not to good in the snow. Last collector Ferrari I ever sold.

Wish I hadn't.

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    65k miles! Impressive Jim. How were those carbs and weak ignition in winter

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The Carbs weren't a problem. Taking almost an hour to get the oil off of the peg even with the radiator covered in cardboard, a bit.

5. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    +1 on carbs. Mine (8539) had an electronic ignition concealed above and behind the coils. Big improvement in starting and point life.

Probably would go to pointless conversion if I was doing it now

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If you're going to drive it especially in traffic I would too. I had a lot of plugs foul.

7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Why not install a Mercedes diesel engine while at it? Even bigger improvement and no problems with ignition ever again! Best wishes, Kare

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Kare

When you put over 700K miles on various Ferrari's in the rain sleet and snow, on the track, in NYC traffic, and make modifications that the Factory adapts get back to me.

;)

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Maybe I've seen too many electric ignitions installed on cars where a proper tune-up would have been the perfect answer.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The laws of Physics remain the Laws of Physics and the statement that a "proper tune-up"
    will magically contravene them is silly.

A 275 GTB with plugs, points and conventional ignition, stuck in traffic for a while (as memorised in "A New Leaf" "Carbon on the plugs") will foul plugs period. Your insulting John Kelly who actually owned a 275 GTB doesn't change that fact.

11. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
  12. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    There were actually 3 different drive-shaft configurations. The first series were notorious for problems caused by mis-alignment of the engine and/or gearbox, resulting in vibration. Also, the first and second series had a small amount of torque-steer as the engine was not solidly connected to the rear-end. In my mind, a long-nose 2-cam is every bit as good as a 4-cam, especially with the 6-carb option, and easier to set valves on. But the market likes the look of the 4-cam, and you can't argue with the market. I don't agree with Jim about the heavy clutch; I found all my 275's (14 of 'em!) a delight to drive, although the shifter is a bit "notchy". The short-nose, if the drive-train is ok, represents a better value, although most people prefer the long-nose look. As someone around here likes to say, just one man's opinion.

13. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    It was a really good car. Since I sold it, had a lot of (unneeded) work done and changed hands several times, not because of appreciation as price not changed much after the 1st resale after me

Also I agree with Ed re performance realtive to 4 cams. Based on my track event experience, 2 and 4 cams pretty similar in performance

14. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
  15. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Interesting and yet lovely shade of blue. Reminds me of my old GTE's colour

Question : Why do some 275's sport a pony on the font grille and others don't (for the un-initiated as in me). Looks much cleaner and better without imho. Does it denote 2 or 4 cam or just owners preference...

16. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Please don't get upset. I remain in my position: usually when a traditional ignition systems get replaced, people don't even bother to have a look at the old system, which in many cases would serve them perfectly only if set up with correct parts and properly tuned.

Very little, if any, to do with laws of physics. Even less with insulting anybody.

Best wishes, Kare

17. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Bighorn: 8545 has electronic ignition concealed in a similar manner. It has carried me 30,000 miles in the last five years, in half a dozen rallies in the USA, twice trying to keep up with Jim in Sicily, and not once have I given ignition a second thought. It starts in the cold, doesnt foul the plugs in the heat of traffic. When I do the next big service it will get breakerless triggers.
    Malcolm

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #18 Napolis, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Kare

Your comment to John Kelly was extremely insulting:

"Why not install a Mercedes diesel engine while at it? Even bigger improvement and no problems with ignition ever again!"

especially as John actually has experience with 275 GTB's and the problems that their original ignition systems have starting in the cold and fouling in hot traffic. As another person Malcomb who also has experience having driven his 275 GTB 30K miles noted:

"Bighorn: 8545 has electronic ignition concealed in a similar manner. It has carried me 30,000 miles in the last five years, in half a dozen rallies in the USA, twice trying to keep up with Jim in Sicily, and not once have I given ignition a second thought. It starts in the cold, doesnt foul the plugs in the heat of traffic. When I do the next big service it will get breakerless triggers.
    Malcolm "

The mechanic that Mr. Ferrari personally sent to the US to work with Mr. Chinetti also noted these problems as he maintained and tuned my 275 GTB which I drove over 65K miles during 1971 and 72 under his tuning and after talking with The Factory put an early version of the Dinoplex on my 275 GTB which allowed me to drive it in hot traffic without fouling plugs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

-K1- likes this.
  19. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    My opinion: A late 2 cam with the torque tube, even better if 6 carb. I think the 2 cam engine is nicer to look at, and possibly a bit lighter than the 4 cam? And of course 20% cheaper than a 4 cam, on average !! But any 275GTB would make me happy.

20. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Jim,

Did you add the paint features or was it like that when you got it?

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Who is that hippie behind the wheel?

Dale

22. joehayes

joehayes Rookie

Sep 9, 2010
    Actually Walter Matthau kept complaining of "carbon on the valves" as to why his 275 spent so much time on the flatbed. Great movie from 1971 "A new Leaf".

23. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I've privately sent my sincerest apologies to John in case he feels the same way as you do.

(Sorry folks, the pissing contest is over).

Best wishes, Kare

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Meg's Husband of 40 years.

She took the photo.

25. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003