Failed Inspection - Window Tent | FerrariChat

Failed Inspection - Window Tent

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Dal0522, Jul 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dal0522

Dal0522 Rookie

Jan 23, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Dallas N
    So, I go to the "local Charlotte BMW place" to get the M6 inspected. They wouldn't pass it because the window tent was too dark (car came from Florida--thus the 'dark' tent--and I bought it from the BMW dealership in Asheville.

I really don't want to drive two hours to Asheville to get it inspected (excuse me...."to get it to pass inspection") and two hours back to CLT.

Any suggestions on a 'local' place that will help me out?

PM me if you have any suggestions (other than "remove the tint"). ;-)

2. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    It is somewhat dangerous to drive with a "tent" covering your windows. Sorry, couldn't help it.
    You may be able to get a doctors excuse that qualifies you to have darker tint. Just a thought.

KT

3. Dal0522

Dal0522 Rookie

Jan 23, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Dallas N
    Ah, geez....can't blame spell check on that one.....chalk it up to being POed....

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Have the car tinted at the legal limit.

It is a legitimate law to protect LEO. My cars are tinted to NC standards, and I wish they were darker --- but I understand why the law is written the way it is, and appreciate the reasoning.

If you "pass" in Buncombe county, you can still be stopped in Mecklenburg and ticketed if your residency is down there.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

5. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I'm gonna have to agree...why look to circumvent the law vs. abiding by it?

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I guess dealers don't do inspections in your neck of the woods?

Unfortunate. Here in PA, dealers do inspections. IF I bought a car from a dealer, I'd take it back to him and make it pass.

I'm surprised the dealer could sell you a car that wouldn't pass inspection within your state, and maybe, he can't. Might check the state code, see if he can legally sell you a car that won't pass inspection, especially on a cosmetic issue.

D

7. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Not to move this into P+R, but it's crazy that adjacent states have different codes.

I live in SC, and can walk to NC. I can tint my windows to 27%, and be in full legal compliance when I drive in Charlotte every day, because I sport SC tags. A NC resident who lives a mile from me can only tint to 35%.

Sigh. There's nothing like living right on the border to bring out the inner Federalist....

8. t3thomas

t3thomas Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    GThomas
    I recently tented (kidding) the windows on my 308 and 911 at the NC magic 35%. I'm guessing since the DMV reads as 30% light transmission w/ 0% reflectivity, the retailers make the films at 35% to take into account anticipated factory tint of the glass.

What I can't figure out is how other folks in NC get their cars inspected with less than 35% that you see all the time. Probably have a brother-in-law who owns a shop. Another funny thing I noticed is the space on the inspection form that reads 'window tint'. Does it mean if they have to check, they can charge you an extra fee or does it mean if you have more than 35% it serves as a pay-off?

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Yes. If you car is tinted, there is an additional fee during annual inspection b/c they use a light meter to verify tint-level.

10. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    show up with the windows rolled down.......easy fix

11. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    35% tint is actually designed with a 38% nominal value to account for variance and still stay above the 35% limit.