250 lusso opportunity- not barn find but close | Page 7 | FerrariChat

250 lusso opportunity- not barn find but close

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jav, Jul 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Have you been able to drive it? You can't imagine the emotions that I go through when I start thinking about finding a great car like that. I become obsessed with the whole barn find thing. It would be incredible to find a Porsche 356, Lotus Elan, or any old british car but to find a Lusso????? It is crazy! I hope you realize that mechanically speaking you are beyond blessed!!!!!

2. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    Believe me- I know how truly lucky and blessed I have been. It was dream I never actually expected to happen. Not just finding the car, but having the whole experience with my son... and seeing his excitement and eagerness to absorb a car that is so far from his era. He really respects it and has taken a huge interest. He can now readily identify the entire 250 family as well as the many before and after it. He gets just how significant it was that Ferrari was extracting 100hp/liter in the early sixties.

He's 16 now, working part time, doing well in school, playing a sport, and a few weeks away from getting his license. A lot has happened (and changed) since we brought the car home and it so hard to find the time and resources to dedicate to car... but it's never forgotten. Some days I come home to find him sitting behind the wheel of the Lusso and I'm reminded of Ferris Bueller. (BTW- the rear end is out of the car so it's not driveable - intentionally for the time being). He's bugging for his own car and it's been tough to convince him that he needs to sock money away for college so he can afford to live his own dreams. For now he's happy enough to be learning to drive in my M3 and understands we're both very lucky and blessed.

3. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    I made those up from ethanol rated hose. You can buy the yellow wound hose from a few sources but I never got a definitive answer on wether this expensive pre-wound hose was truly ethanol compatible.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A sound strategy!

*closing kitchen drawer full of Ferrari keys*

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Talk to Ricambi about your car, Stuart.

They may not have the ethanol grade "kits" for it, but maybe Dave Helms can make you one up, if he has that information on what you need.

6. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Absolutely!

Are you sharing the pix/progress with the prior owner?

7. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    Absolutely- They're older and not not very tech savy so i actually air mailed updates with pictures.

8. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Any updates on this project. We no longer get posts of cars getting work done. We need more discussions like this on this forum and less droning on the values

Smiles and Bryanp like this.
  9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

it has been a long time. I hope the owner and his family are all well! it is a wonderful thread and I hope the journey can continue!!!

10. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow,

it has been a long time. Thank goodness for email alerts. Yes the immediate family is all well! Thank you for the well wishes!

The Lusso is still in the garage but we haven't dedicated any working time to it of late- it still gets started and sounds magical with no exhaust.

Not that we haven't been busy.... We managed to build a new garage with lift (finally) and we've acquired some more projects but it's tough to get to everything. As I get older it seems the clock spins faster and I literally can't get to the multitude of tasks that seemed so easy in more youthful days! Both kids have graduated from college, my wife and I are essentially the primary care givers for our aging (sick) parents and between work and life, there just doesn't seem to be enough time to get to everything. I've decided to hold off on doing more work on the Lusso until I can "really" dedicate myself to the attention it deserves... which I hope to be in a few years when I hope to retire and focus... (which is also proving harder these days-LOL).

Thankfully- both of our kids did well and got their degree's. Which is more opportunity than dad had. Thankfully, my son has kept his interest in cars alive and is working his way up to owning his dream car (a 458). He and I recently finished his "first" real car project (that he bought with his own money)... A salvaged 2015 BMW M3, 6 speed -white with red interior with 15K miles. It's gorgeous, fast , surprisingly practical- and paid for... but it's a stepping stone for him. He's likely going to sell it in the spring and he'd like his next step to be an AMG GT- then.... the 458 (if all goes well - although the 488 is growing on him-LOL). He's quite convinced the Lusso is "his" so he's focusing on the modern delights at the moment and I'm all for it - as long as he handles his obligations and his interests stay on the less destructive paths that seem to plague so much of our youth these days.

If I get a chance, I'll post some pics but it's nice to know this story is remembered... we think about it often and it still seems surreal at times.

Attached Files:

Caeruleus11 and 375+ like this.
  11. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

thank you for checking in. very happy to hear you are well!!! the lusso will wait as will we. we look forward to more progress posts as you get to them!! cheers!!!

12. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for the update jav. It's great to hear that you still have the car.

635CSI likes this.