Ferrari European Petrolhead Roadtrip | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari European Petrolhead Roadtrip

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PoleApart, Jul 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    All I can say is WOW!!!!!

2. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    Martin - excelllent! Let's have coffee, I'll look out for your car, our room overlooks the car park, just honk when you arrive :)

3. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    Great to meet an have a chat with an Fchatter on one of these trips. Thanks for dropping by Martin.

4. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #29 Simon, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
    Brilliant thread Przemek. Keep the pictures coming.
    The trip Martin is talking about, IIRC, was for the Ferrari Days, was it really 6 years ago?

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Brilliant thread, awesome road trip, great pics

6. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    It was nice meeting and talking with you too :) how was the drive to Singen? did it rain again or was it dry?

How about the part for your car and Foitek? Did you get it? Enjoy your trip and keep us updated :)

Martin

7. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
  8. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    #33 PoleApart, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Today was a very entertaining day. I met with Martin in the morning :) . We chatted about F cars and got talking about the only issue I have with the 328. An unobtainium auxiliary air valve that was making the idle revs go wildly up and down between 800 and 1200 rpm and was driving me mad. We went to the Ferrari Gohm service dept and of course they didn’t have the part. Eurospares doesn’t have it, Ricambi doesn’t have it, the thing has been unobtainium for at least over a year now. The Gohm service guy did some searching and found that Ferrari Voitek in Zurich shows it in stock. I googled the address and it was right by our route so why not, let’s drop in and see. We started with the drive to Singen. Not often you see 2 Koenigsegg’s, a Zonda, a Mercedes CLK GTR and Gemballa Carrera GT lined up next to each other. In pouring rain then drove to Zurich. Said part was in stock but reserved for a customer (hmmm…). However a couple of calls later it turned out the same part was also in stock at Sportgarage Leirer near St. Gallen. Weather was abysmal – no Alpine passes today. St. Gallen is only 100 kms away and also en-route. What the hell, let’s go. Sat-nav took us to a little alpine village with an (authorized!) Ferrari workshop run by a racing driver. As we were waiting for the boss to arrive a beautiful 250 GT Lusso pulled out. The parts department is like an Alladin’s cave of classic Ferrari parts. It took the very friendly guys 30 seconds to locate the air valve on the shelves, 10 minutes to fit it and a further 10 to tune the engine to get the emissions right. As the owner prepared the bill we petted his dog, admired the assorted Ferrari memorabilia and thought – places like this don’t exist anymore – it was an absolute time warp experience. Headed out to drive south to Italy in sheets of rain, lightning and thunder and are now stuck in an awful and overpriced Swiss hotel in Chur hoping that the thunder and rain clears and tomorrow greets us with sun. The 328 is now running like a dream - no more idling issues :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    #34 400SPYDER, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
    I was also Wolfies group 5 years ago in the Ferrari 456 - F456 RED ( Plenty of pics taken by Martin in old thread -
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthr...t=tuscany+tour
    no longer a member here so can't post}

The weather was truly awful that day as well IIRC.

Off again to Tuscany tomorrow with Marc, just waiting for him to arrive this evening as we live half an hour away from the Channel Tunnel.

Had hoped we would be in a pair of red and tdf 360 spiders - regretfully a combination of a last minute fault with the spider roof mechanism in my car and a very bad attack of gout for the last 2 weeks, mean that we are having to slum it this year - in the CLK 55 AMG convertible :D

10. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    Hi Kevan,

too bad that you have to take the AMG, but luckily you can drive the same speeds as the Ferraris with it :D If you want to make a short stop at the Meilenwerk to meet up for a coffee or beer, just let me know and I'm happy to come by :)

Martin

11. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    We are heading to Andermatt in Switzerland on the first night - if that passes anywhere near you let me know and I will have a chat with Marc.

12. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    Kevan - we are going to the Lambo museum today and staying for the night at the Planet in Maranello and planning to arrive in San Gim on Friday. Weather is absolutely dreadful here since yesterday - we,re skipping the alpine passes altogether

13. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    If you're taking the Autobahn A81 you'll just pass Stuttgart and Böblingen where the Meilenwerk is located. That's about 20 minutes away from where I live. It's the same way that you went in 2006.

Martin

14. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Safe travels guys. Would loved to have joined you again this year, but things just didn't work out for us I'm afraid :-(

Say hi to the crew at San Gimignano for me!

MARK

15. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Great photos Przemek - thanks for sharing :) MARK

16. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Przemek, Leirer is my local dealer...what you mean "it was an absolute time warp experience" height of modernity as far as I'm concerned ;)

17. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    The Swiss experience is really cool. Leirer is one of the places I want to visit.

18. supercarmaniac

supercarmaniac Karting

Aug 18, 2006
    Home of "Wolkswagon"
    Full Name:
    seb
  19. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    #45 PoleApart, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Did the Pagani and Maserati factory tour todays. A small building on an industrial estate on the outskirts of Modena. Currently 50 people work there making around 17 cars a year with each one taking around 9 months to build. The guided tour is very bespoke and comprehensive. We were free to wander around and ask the workers questions. Unfortunately photos were only allowed in the showroom part. We saw a Huayara being assembled and the third of three Zonda Tricolore nearing completion. A Huayara was also driving around testing and we were able to get a picture of it in the street. The sweetener of the day was Horacio Pagani coming down to talk to us and sign our posters and books. I was extremely impressed how a down to earth and approachable organization they are.

20. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Great shots and experience. The Huayara looks fantastic!

21. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Wow! What a great post! Thanks for all the comments and great pictures!

22. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't had more posts yet, I can only assume that every body is like me and feeling envious of you,

You are living the dream, and giving your son a memory of a life time and just at the right age to make an impression. Good on you, I love the story of the back in time Ferrari service dept, having your unobtainable part supplied and fitted whilst sat waiting.

Sounds like and looks like you are having an absolute time of your life.

Enjoy and have a beer for me, keep posing !

23. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Hi Przemek,

Just got back into town....have been on internet withdrawl. Great thread and awesome photos, thank you for sharing!

I see the Lambo folks did build a prototype Miura. I wonder if it will ever see full production? :D

Ciao,
    George

24. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Looks like you made a cool round there! I loved all those museums you saw in Germany and can't wait to start my Italian book!