Opinions - Dual-can to single-can muffler worth it? | FerrariChat

Opinions - Dual-can to single-can muffler worth it?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Shaide, Jul 13, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hello all,
    I've been batting this thought in the back of my head for a while, but thought I would ask the brotherhood to get some opinions from people that are a good bit better educated on this topic than myself.

Here's my situation:
    I've got a 1990 TS, so it has the old style muffler with two cans, but I think I can get my hands on a later single can OEM muffler for almost nothing. Eventually I would love to upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust system, but for now, well...

Is it worth the time/effort to swap the double-can for the single-can since there is no $$$ cost involved, or better to just hold out (maybe a year, give or take a month or two) until I spend money on an aftermarket system?

All opinions or input is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    it was obviously worth it to Ferrari in 1994, so I figure it would be worth it to you too.

3. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    In weight savings alone, yes. That is a sizeable amount of weight well behind the rear wheels that greatly affects the Polar Moment.

4. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    I did it a few years ago and it was definitely worth the effort. Th new sound is a big improvement.

5. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Lose 35 pounds of ugly fat. Ask me how. Dial 1-800-singlecan.

6. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #6 bcwawright, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well guess what the Polar Moment of this 2 wheeler is??

Sandy Eggo is not the only person who can post a show stopper...lol
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    That weight should be moved lower. A lower center of gravity would reduce body roll......oh my god, I'm not sure that body roll can be reduced.

8. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    Jason, I wasn't happy at all with the factory single can on my 94 spider. Replaced it almost immediately after purchasing the car. If you'll be around Dallas this weekend, you're more than welcome to come up and drive mine with the Nouvalari Sport. IMHO, it would be worth spending a few hundred extra bucks.

9. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Observed weight of complete exhaust system, cats and mufflers and related hardware:

stock single can = 58 lbs.
    dual can = 86 lbs.
    goth muffler and cats replacement (metallic matrix) = 30 lbs.

The single can weighs much. The old time ceramic matrix cats weigh almost as much as a single can. The dual cans and ceramic cats are ridiuclously heavy. Replace everything and the engine breathes better and you save a great deal of weight behind the rear wheels!

10. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
  11. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    #11 chas-3, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
    Yep, I think the single can is some 30 punds lighter IIRC. I'm running Hyper-Flow cats into an OEM Serie Speciale single can and I like it. Civil noise level on city streets but still lets the sound out at higher rpm. Just do it!

12. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Along comes BW and his senior polar moment.... NOW things are getting back to normal.

Note to self: Caution must be used when driving in GA around BW's area.

13. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce

Come on now Dave....just imagine what it would be like to rear end that!!!!!

Plugzit wants it down low to reduce body roll......what a sick thought....that could only come from a Californicator..ha ha

14. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks for all the input guys. It is very much appreciated. It looks like I have a nice little project to keep me busy at some point in the next few weeks.

Jarrett, I would love to hear how yours sounds sometime soonish. I've been passively eying the Nouvalari Sport/Super-sport for some time now. Sadly though, after taking a significant amount of time off work to take care of my folks (after a medical crisis) I'm feeling I need to replenish the cash reserves before spending any real money. This weekend is looking a bit shaky for me, but maybe can figure something out in the next few weeks depending on your schedule.

15. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Set down and step away from the jug Bruce........ No, it aint just for breakfast anymore, save some for stripping the decks you need to paint.

A true Double Can...... damn, up high, down low.....that makes my eyes bleed either way.

16. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    Anytime Jason. Weekends are usually good for me.