Wiggling mirror? | FerrariChat

Wiggling mirror?

Discussion in '360/430' started by tomconte, Jul 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    The left (driver's) side view mirror on my '06 F430 spider shakes rattles and wiggles when I drive. It's not all floppy, but it is enough to be irritating. I know the mirrors fold. Since this is used, I wonder if the past owner kept it folded.

Anyone else have this issue and, if so, any idea(s) on how to fix it?

It's driving me crazy...

Tom

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Have the dealer fix it under warranty. They may have to replace it.

3. G-NYC

G-NYC Rookie

Apr 29, 2010
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Geoff
    I don't think it needs to be replaced.... just tightened- if the previous owner kept them folded, I've heard it can eventually loosen the mirror (I looked at a 430 with loose mirrors that were going to need tightenting).

I don't know how to tighten them, but the dealer indicated it was a bit of an effort- involved approaching from the inside of the door and tightening... this could have been to justify whatever outlandish cost he was going to charge for the service, so I'm not sure how involved it really is.

In any case, I don't think you'll need a replacement, but I'm no expert either....

4. JPN800

JPN800 Karting

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    JP
    I had the same thing happen on my 360 (I'm not sure if they are similar to 430's) I removed the three phillips screws from the bottom of the mirror and seperated the mirror from the pivoting base. Once inside there were two more phillips that were loose. I tightened them up and put it all back together and it has been fine.

5. G-NYC

G-NYC Rookie

Apr 29, 2010
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Geoff
    so.... I've recently learned that my post above is short on facts and long on misinformation.....

my driver side mirror started vibrating a lot, so I had to look into it. The 430 is very similar to the 360 post above.

On the 430, there are three torx screws on the underside of the mirror. Loosen those and remove the mirror to find a couple screws on the inside that can be tightened to eliminate the mirror vibration. I also used some loctite to keep the vibration from coming back immediately. I think the loctite recommendation came from a post on fchat, so this is covered elswhere but I wanted to correct myself in case others come across this post while trying to fix a 430 mirror....

6. Periokid

Periokid Karting

Oct 19, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    David
    This is 100% correct. I did the exact same thing for both of my mirrors. Problem solved.

7. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Mine rattles just enough to annoy me. Thanks for the info.

8. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    My driver mirror was loose and after removing the three screws on the underside, I found the screws holding the coupler loose and missing lock washers. Do you think F does this on purpose? Anyway, an easy fix. I don't like the Locktite solution, so maybe relocate the lockwahers to the screws missing them and then add the easy access lockwashers later. FWIW.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal

9. xraes

xraes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2011
    NC
    I've noticed both my rearview mirror housing units have some "play" when sitting in the normal position. Unlike any other vehicles I've owned with folding mirrors, they don't seem to "lock" into position. When folded in, they actually seat much tighter. Is the same problem you guys were having? The glass portion of the both mirrors do not seem loose but I notice a little too much vibration from the glass when traveling at higher speeds.The 3 undersurface screws don't seem obviously loose and I don't want to remove them is this is normal?

Thanks-

Rodney

10. DrG.

DrG. Karting

Jan 2, 2010
    Limassol-CYPRUS
    Full Name:
    George Eleftheriou
    Exactly. Same thing on the 430.

11. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Yes, locktite is key... sometimes when you try and screw down the screw it's already as tight as it can be. What happened to mine is that when I moved the mirror in and out, in and out to the closed position, I started to wear out the inside thread. It become totally loose, now that I've tighten it back up I only close it in rare occasions.

12. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    07 430. can anyone tell me the size of the 3 "torx" screws on the underside of the exterior mirrow. I have Euro and US allen wrenches but nothing seems to fit. Thanks

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Its a T20. An Allen key is no good for these

14. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    that's what I found out/ Thank you mike32

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    But a set of torx wrenches, cheap enough. The T40 size will fit the battery switch in the front boot

Manda racing likes this.