To All The Diet Soda Drinkers - Aspartame | Page 2 | FerrariChat

To All The Diet Soda Drinkers - Aspartame

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Ruski, May 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    If "everyone" experienced the same symptoms, then it would be a no brainer and common knowledge to avoid certain things. While, again, I agree that the method of presentation was lacking, there are still studies that show statistically significant increases lymphomas and leukemia (just as an example for presentation here) that help make the case. I don't like blind faith on either side of the equation.

http://aspartamesafety.com/aspartame_study_14july2005.pdf

There are of course, dose dependencies, control group considerations, genetic tendencies (note that in the previous study, those with zero dose did not have zero occurence of lymphomas and leukemias), etc. I personally do not know my genetic predisposition, therefore, I am not willing to take the risk.

I also agree, that you could liken this subject, and many others considering food safety, to statistical significance. Is the statistical significance of being killed by a terrorist blown out of proportion? Yes. You are more likely to be killed by a bee sting than by a terrorist, and FAR more likely to be killed in a car crash. Driving a car, though risky, is a necessity for me, therefore I take the risk. It is not, however, a necessity for me to consume artifical sweeteners in any form, therefore I do not. I still, at least, take precautionary steps to mitigate the risks associated with my activities.

I will in no way attempt to "force" anyone to my way of thinking, but could we at least agree that I'm not unreasonable? Please keep the attacks in check guys...you're not dealing with Ruski any more.

Interesting history. http://www.swankin-turner.com/hist.html

In the midst of all of the hubbub regarding peer reveiw, white papers, etc, it is often noted, especially in the case of aspartame, the bullet point of "Aspartame is the single most researched ingredient". While this could be true, let's look at these studies in summary and their funding source, with a notation of determination of safety.

Industry (Searle) funded studies:
    http://www.dorway.com/industry.html

NON-Industry (governments, universities, other):
    http://www.dorway.com/nonindus.html

Please pay attention to the results.

2. kali

kali Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2007
    Full Name:
    Elle
    That dihydrogen monoxide, it's everywhere, including our food and drinks! And even our children are ingesting that stuff!!

3. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    #28 Taurean Bull, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
    "That dihydrogen monoxide, it's everywhere, including our food and drinks! And even our children are ingesting that stuff!!"

Making a farcical comparison with water here is an apples and oranges comparison to make your point. It's not the water, it's the poop in the water. I'm not saying it's the soda per se, I'm saying it's the aspartame in the soda. I know you know that, so why not mount a REAL debate?

4. Feffman

Feffman Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    Gateway To The West
    Full Name:
    Feff
    My wife likes her soda (Coca Cola mainly) with the high fructose corn syrup. She tried the throw back Coke with real sugar and it was "thrown back" into the trash. I on the other hand enjoy not only diet soda (Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Coke) with aspartame, but it's the only way I can sweeten my coffee as well. Tried a few other sweeteners (green stuff, yellow stuff) and when forced, I'll do the pink stuff in coffee or iced tea, but don't care for it.

Feff

5. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Whether you like Aspartame or not isn't any reason to dis information someone is trying to share. This isn't a scare tactic.

The fact is the American public is becoming sicker and sicker by the day and besides smoking, inactivity, and over-eating, chemical additives are wreaking havoc on our internal chemistry creating all sorts of symptoms and conditions to which pharma companies assign 'diseases.'

Personally I do not eat anything with usually more than 3 ingredients in it, or from a can. If you can't pronounce it or know what it is, don't eat it.

Aspartame is junk and that is a fact:

Dangers of Aspartame

"In 1965, a researcher at G.D. Searle pharmaceutical company inadvertently discovered the artificial sweetener aspartame while working on an anti-ulcer medication. It was discovered that the sweetener was about 150X sweeter than an equal amount of sugar. Over the next decade, the research staff at the G.D. Searle Company conducted a series of studies in an effort to get the product approved by the FDA."

-Billy

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I don't always drink soda, but when I do it is mixed with liquor. ;)

CW

7. Blown Z

Blown Z Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2006
    #32 Blown Z, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    And in the words of the "Most Interesting Man in the World", "Stay thirsty my friends.................."

9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    My theory is anything is OK with alcohol mixed in it, the acohol will kill whatever is bad about it.

;)

10. kali

kali Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2007
    Full Name:
    Elle
    Oh, I'm talking about the aspartame, not the soda. The Neurology paper had a total n of about 18, which as far as randomized controlled trials go, is pretty weak. While I didn't have access to the full article, I'd like to know further about the patient population stats. The holistic medicine evidence are thrown out of any reasonable medical discussion among professionals. All in all, there is very little and rather weak evidence for the alarm of aspartame that is claimed in the sensationalized media. Now other things, like overconsumption of fats and sugars in the society, cause a lot of health issues and should be limited.