Lancia Delta ownership in USA? | FerrariChat

Lancia Delta ownership in USA?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bretm, Jul 13, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Hi guys,

I've spent the past month or so deliberating over taking the time to go look at a 16v Lancia Delta Integrale for sale near me in NYC. The cars history is pretty easy to trace via Bring a Trailer and a few sales over the years - looks to be a 3 or 4-owner car. It's a driver that needs some sorting at this point in its life.

I've found a few Lancia forums online which I've been reading, and of course did a search on here and have been reading the various Delta and EVO threads. A few questions though that hopefully some can chime in on:

1. What are the best parts sources? England and Italy? Anyone in the USA?
    2. Do normal insurance companies cover grey market cars like a Delta (that didn't have a US-spec version sold)? I'm guessing speciality with limited driving restrictions are the only ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lancia-Delta-HF-Integrale-16v-RARE-CAR-one-few-titled-Integrales-US-/200628372207?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eb66202ef

Have I completely lost my mind?

I'll never sell the 308. So, this would go alongside it. My two childhood crushes - 308 and the Delta.

2. cstorry

cstorry Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Chuck Storry
    I currently have 3 non-running integrale's in Canada - I keep selling the ones that do work and breaking the rest : )

I buy my parts in the UK mostly. No need to go to Italy and much easier to deal with suppliers in the UK (besides I have friends there).

Some stuff can be bought in the US as it is the same as some other Fiat/Lancia model (e.g. outer CV joints).

Chuck

3. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Wow, good man. :)

How do the Integrales compare to the 308 in regards to maintenance requirements and parts costs?

Are parts still readily available?... What if you blow a differential or crack a windshield?

4. cstorry

cstorry Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Chuck Storry
    \i bought a bunch of parts for the integrale but not so much for my 308 yet.

Windshields are quite expensive mainly because of transit but then again I guess they are expensive for the 308 too.

I've made myself more or less self sufficient with spare tranny's, diffs, etc but that's pretty much what the guys in the UK do as well. If you're importing a car why not bring a parts car over also - that's what I did on my last batch : )

So far I've found pretty much all my regular maintenance items readily available and I can get them within a few days from the UK

Sure there are hard to get parts (and NLA's) but you can make do for most stuff (e.g. headlights)

Chuck

5. PlayersMarkus

PlayersMarkus Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    DO NOT buy this Integrale, this car is a POS!!! The car is trading owners every 6 months or so. I know the car's history, have seen it (getting worked on) in person.

Btw, I own 2 Integrales, no problems getting parts...

6. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    i would LOVE an intergrale...i grew up in england obsessing over rally car racing...that would be all i need to complete my miniscule rally car collection...! (actually, i'd need the audi)

are they reliable, though, to drive on a regular basis? i thought they weren't legal in the states?

7. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Thanks for the comments, guys. They are very much appreciated.

I just got back from being on vacation for a week and a half. Of course, I spent quite a bit of time thinking about what to do in regards to this particular Integrale. It's tempting because it's so close, but I think Markus is right that this isn't the car to buy. The search continues. In the meantime my 308 rebuild, apartment renovation, and building a new garage should keep me busy. ;)

8. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Might be a POS but at $14K it's almost the price of an engine out on a TR and it's certainly rarer in the US!

9. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    #9 AustinMartin, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    Would you mind sharing what exactly is wrong with it? I've heard that the car is mechanically sound...

10. HF Stinger

HF Stinger Rookie

Dec 3, 2009
    I drove this car in July and to be honest, it seemed to run good. What scared me about it was the fact that it really needs a full restoration. The windshield is sortof a deal breaker for me (no pun intended), I see that being a $1500+ venture by the time you have it in your hands.

The good thing about replacing the windshield would be that you needed it out anyway to fix the rust around the lip and you could then have a nice paint job applied while you were at it.

There was a slight clunk in the front end when turning the car and changing directions - like a parking lot type scenario. Probably not a big deal, tie rod end or something.

If this car was in the $7k range I could prepare myself for the process of spending another $6-7k on it. Unfortunately buying it for the $14,500 the owner has into it (and where his bottom line and reserve was set) I'd end up with a $20k+ investment AND a PROJECT. Im not interested in the project right now, I have one Im knee deep in already.

All that said, the current owner is a pretty reasonable guy and a true enthusiast. Unfortunately he is way upside down in this particular car.

In the meantime, Integrale' ownership is consuming me - I must have one.

11. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    It's back on ebay, in day 4 of a 5 day auction. Reserve isn't met - it's at $7,600 right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lancia-Delta-HF-Integrale-16v-One-few-titled-Integrales-US-LOW-RESERVE-/200636846157?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eb6e3504d

If I remember right from the Bring a Trailer posts, the current owner bought it for the $12.5k - 13.0k range. Shipping from Colorado to here... Upside down is right.

12. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    I have owned 2 Lancia Delta HF Integrales and must say I really miss them. Both were 1988 8valve models, look at my screenname:). One was white, the other charcoal black. These are great cars if they are mechanically sound. But so much can go wrong! Also, I got sick and tired of the rust that was always lurking underneath the paintwork. Repair after repair, it just kept coming back. The black car was my daily driver for about 4 years. At a certain point I had the engine rebuilt and it cost me dearly. But I still lust for one!
    You will often hear that the 8valve engine is the one to have, in terms of reliability (16v's are known for their high rate of cambelt failures) and also the 8valve engine has a nicer torque vs. rpm range.
    But if I would ever buy one again, it would be a late (2nd series) Evo with biscuit coloured alcantara high-back Recaro's in either Bianco or Lord Blu.