Stratos v Dino | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Stratos v Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by abstamaria, Apr 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Jeff, could you email a scanned schematic, please, too. Andres

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Jeff, thank you. Andres

3. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I have that, Alberto. Thank you. But what are you doing with a Stratos parts book? A future project? :)

Good luck on the restoration of your Dino. You have been doing a fantastic, admirable job.

Andres

4. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #104 alhbln, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A fuse inbetween the alternators output and the battery/car main wiring makes good sense, as it can avoid a harness fire it the alternator is shorted or the car main wiring is faulty and creates a ground connection. The Dino has this setup as factory standard. Here is a fuse holder for modern midi fuses, which can be discretely installed and does not look completely out of place:
    http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/0-378-85-fuse-holder-for-midi-range-of-fuses-1421-p.asp

When installing a cutoff switch, take care that you don't break the connection between the alternator and the battery, this can easily kill the alternator diodes if the engine is running. See below for recommended wiring of a cutoff switch including the alternator fuse.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Andy, it was a pipe-dream, but did not turn into reality due to negotiation issues. Possibly in the future. They were kind enough to provide me with a copy of their original book, as it is good reference to Dino.
    Thank you for your kind words on the restoration :)

Regards, Alberto

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Alhbin,
    I think it is a terrific idea. Where could it be mounted unobtrusively? Would you use a typical racing cutoff?
    Regards, Alberto

7. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Adrian,

Thank you so much for taking the time to make those suggestions (with links and illustrations to boot). I will follow them.

Regards,

Andres

8. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I've installed mine behind the (unused) radio panel, with the slot for the handle pointing downwards. Mine is a classic Hella cutoff switch with a red removable handle.

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Perfect location Adrian, would you bring it in from the battery negative ground cable?
    Regards, Alberto

10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Adrian, cut-off switches have terminals that seem designed to take the heavy cables from the battery. In the Dino, I installed the ground cable from the battery to one terminal of the switch and grounded the other terminal. I thought this would isolate the battery. I'm not sure the engine will keep running with electricity from the alternator, but, if so, I could just switch off the ignition key. Will this work?

Andres

11. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Andres & Alberto, installing a switch to interrupt the ground to battery connector is a classic battery switch, good for saving the battery in storage or when working on the car but not so good as an emergency cutoff switch, as it can kill the alternator diode pack/Dinoplex/other electronics when disconnecting the battery while the car runs. If you keep that in mind and only use it when the engine is not running, or in an emergency when the engine is running you are fine. If you use it to switch of your running car, chances are your alternator and/or original Dinoplex won't work afterwards (you could still get home on a charged battery and the Dinoplex Emergenza mode).

Question is, do you look for a simple battery switch (disconnects battery when storing the car or when working on the car) or a race cut off switch, which is an emergency device in case of a crash or fire.

12. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, Adrian. For me, it would have to be to shut off all electricity in case of an emergency and, as a bonus, while the car is in not in use. One model of the Hella cut-off switches has additional terminals for wiring to protect the alternator, or so the instructions say. I wonder if this will help. It is such a pain to get at the alternator in the Stratos. Ditto the Dino!

Many thanks again, Adrian.

My best,

Andres

13. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    That is probably the Hella 2+2+2 terminal switch which comes with a ceramic resistor. I don't have experience with this one, should do the job though. The cutoff switch wiring recommendation from above (post #104) is a bit easier to install, as you only need to interrupt the wire coming from the alternator/battery and going to the ignition lock/wiring block on the fuse panel.

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks very much, Adrian. My best, Andres

15. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
  16. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    I have see that on TV.
    My first Impression was "wow a Stratos, or.. a good looking nice replica at reachable price"
    Then you can see the poor quality with defects and parts get lost etc..
    Finally even with more powerfull Alfa V6 engine.. it will never sound like...
    Not for me, sorry.

17. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #117 abstamaria, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorting my old workshop today, I came across an auto magazine a French friend sent over some time ago. It is the French edition of a major publication, and what caught his eye was a garage in Southern France, according to the article, that looked very similar to mine. In fact, exactly like mine before the work last year. Down to the cars! Amazing.

Best to all,

Andres

18. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    great Andres, what`s the name of the magazine and month and year of publiction?
    regards Matthias

19. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Matthias, it's an old issue of EVO, probably 2006. I'll check the year and month when I'm home. Best, Andres

20. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I found it
    EVO No.15 from 2007
    Regards Matthias

21. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Does anybody know the chassis no. of the Dino 246 GTS (US-model) featured in this EVO magazine?
    French number plate: 430 DPW 09
    (car seems to be in a collection in South France)

22. damusto

damusto Karting

Jul 27, 2011
    And I wonder if there are any differences between Dino and Stratos engine ?
    Does anyone of You have comparable their power curves ever ?

23. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Intake manifold and carbs. The Dino powertrain did not live up to it's potential until it was installed in the Stratos. There are several threads that discuss the induction system. Just do a search.

24. damusto

damusto Karting

Jul 27, 2011
    OK thanks JCR I will try find them

25. damusto

damusto Karting

Jul 27, 2011