Daytona Challenge! | FerrariChat

Daytona Challenge!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 328dgtb, Jul 19, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    The challenge is:

Who can post a picture of a genuine Euro RHD Daytona WITH silver nose and square edge headlight pods (not radius).

No prizes but lots of respect!

David

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #2 Wheels1, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #3 328dgtb, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
    Hmm nearly Grant... that's a very big silver nose... goes all the way back to the rear number plate!

Do you know the S/N of that one?

Everyone else: keep posting any pics with S/N's if you have them.

David

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #4 Wheels1, Jul 19, 2011
  5. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    There are some distinct early Daytona design queues which need only to be crossed against the super small pool of RHD version cars(euro is redundant for the purposes of this arguemernt)

Silver band was an EARLY deletion, andf also rather early was the square to round bucket bholes....but be careful as almost ALL replacement panels that I've seen(i first noticed this in 1976-78!!!) for the nose or complete noses-ALL had the rounded fadus for buckets...

the intersection of the two may, i repeat may, be inconsistent from an actual production sequencing...I will pose this to qa guy who actualy knows the s/n breaks for this sort of non-sense later today

Interesting question though...

6. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    I have the Bleumel book too!

Keep going...

7. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin

We all really should get out more...

8. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #8 328dgtb, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
    Grant, do you know the s/n of the silver car?

David

9. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    When I saw the thread subject, I immediately wondered what I'd need to do to prep my own 16933 for this great new race series ....

10. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    Sorry there, your car is far too modern...

11. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Sorry there, your car is far too modern... "

Perfect!!!

12. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin

I just googled VENN diagram. It made my brain hurt.

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The red Daytona looks like the spyder when with Mel Blanc?
    CH

14. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    Is that one 14829?

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #15 of2worlds, Jul 19, 2011
    I to would like to hear what the expert says about the serial number breaks for the silver nose treatment. One person commented before that it was around 14,5XX. However the Daytona pictured below with the silver nose treatment is a 1971 (unfortunately LHD for the earlier question) model which is higher than serial number 14,9XX.
    CH
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes 14829 was with Mel Blanc.

Also 16467 was a great lesson in why you should never loan, or rent your Ferrari to anyone making a movie!!!!!!!!!
    CH

17. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I suspect that there were no RHD cars with the silver nose, square pods or otherwise. In 30 years of Daytona addiction, I've not sighted one in the UK or Australia.

btw I think the term "Euro RHD" is misplaced. The UK was not formally part of Europe until 1973 and is hardly emotionally part of it now! RHD cars were predominantly UK spec, with the front parking lamps deleted for Aus/SA/Japan.

18. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    #18 Ferrari 360 CS, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    My mistake I somehow remeber thinking this one had a silver nose, I have another pic taken in the shade that does show the nose as being another shade of silver.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/Ferrari360/Daytona.jpg

19. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    Thanks Ian, I think you are right about the Euro emotion here... ; )

Can you just clear this bit up for me though? In response to my radius/square headlight question I posed in the 'Last Plexi' thread, you answered:

'David

Yes, euro/UK cars had square edge lights. The radius type started in '72.'

Then in this thread I asked:

'Was it only the USA cars that initially had the square edge retractable light openings (and silver nose strip) before moving on to the later radius opening?

Did Euro cars of the same period receive the same square edge lights or did they start with the radius type from the start of the retractables?'

And you answered:

I suspect that there were no RHD cars with the silver nose, square pods or otherwise. In 30 years of Daytona addiction, I've not sighted one in the UK or Australia.

Your second answer seems to contradict the first one around the headlight question though, have you come across any more info to change your mind since the first one? Just curious as I haven't seen a UK silver nose/square bucket car....yet.

Cheers,

David

20. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    David,

all Daytonas with pop-up lights had square edge pods, until the radius edge pods appeared in '72.

An interesting question is why was the design changed? Was it for aesthetic reasons? Aerodynamics? Reduced manufacturing time/cost?

It may be marginally easier to get a better shut line with the radius pods, I have spent entire days fiddling with my square pods to get them just right and that inside corner really stands out if its too high or too low.

Ian

21. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    I had two spyders(three, in truth of fact) in shop several years ago for an extended period of time..
    thhis very question was chewed up[on for hours...
    BINGO!
    your final comment is all that we could come up with...as the parts wear-and wear quickly they do-the alignment goes astray quickly, and binding as well as pure aesthetics become a real problem real soonb...
    Had the 2 mdifferent types of cars broken down to base elements, al 3 cvars are bullit proof paperwork undedr 20K miles cars...original nylon strops which hold the looms onto cross brace in bay were still there and in tact!

Upon re-assembly, and still using "worn-but serviceable pieces", the squre holes were near impossible to square up without making some new ;parts...radius hole, on the other hand-"fudged together with little to NO drama...worked finer, and was completely ok with re-using clearly in use but serviceable components...
    the squares-again-forget it...gotta fab the stuff up..and once done, not really a problem...not EASY, but not a problem....

Additionally, the slightest bump intp the front facia panel between the door holes on squares and you couldnt align easily with out tons of putty and paint work...
    I thinbk this was a slight adjustment in manufacturing to adjust for real world living conditions...

22. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    Ian, I don't suppose you know the s/n break where they went to radius pods?

David

23. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Re the silver nose.
    I have sent an e-mail to Mike about this and this is what he said " No cars came through with that “bad taste” paint job. I do remember seeing one in the workshop and thought then how tasteless but again it had been applied elsewhere." As he worked for Ferrari in the UK for 30 years starting before the Daytona was introduced, he would have first hand knowledge of this.

Re you car David.
    Mike thinks he has photos of the restoration and remembers your car and says there is a story behind it, i will send you a PM with what he says as soon as i get it.
    Grant

24. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    sorry, no. That would be a good question for the guys on daytonaregistry.com

I'll post it there!

25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Very nice of you Grant to do some research with Mike about the silver nose paint treatment for the UK market!
    I believe the silver nose paint continued to be an option after it stopped appearing with any frequency on the the USA market models. One example in the mid 16,000 serial number range was delivered from the factory with the nose painted silver. That would seem to indicate the factory made the feature available well after the fall of 1971 when cars built were in the 14,000 number range.
    CH