Lancia Delta Integrales in the US? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lancia Delta Integrales in the US?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by [email protected], Oct 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PlayersMarkus

PlayersMarkus Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Really Pro?? I would love to see that! Have you done it yourself? I doubt it. Have any of your 'friends' brought over a Lancia and registered it? I doubt it. But please, prove me wrong.

There's a reason why there's a million Lancia's in Canada and just a handful here. And it's certainly not lack of demand...

2. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #27 ProRallyCodriver, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
    Why are you being ******?
    Mark Everett is a rally buddy and his red Integrale has Vermont tags. Andy Smith and Ron Norton imported their's. So how do you have one w/ Colorado title?

Here is a post from this week from my Lancia buddy Sean contemplating importing one avoiding using loopholes and finding dumb people at state DMV's who register anything.

"There is a clause in the NHTSA rules that allow for import under 'show or display'. " This provision is intended to facilitate the importation of historically or technologically significant vehicles that were never certified by their manufacturer for sale in the United States." This limits your use of the car to 2500 miles per year which is well within reason and goes along with about all of the collector car insurance companies.

The list of cars that have been submitted grows and gets updated rather regularly so Im wondering if anyone has started the process on the Integrale'. The list of cars denied is also updated regularly and the good news is the Integrale' has not been denied.

Im interested compiling a case to add the Integrale' to the list but the justification has to be well written and the significance of the vehicle stated. I may need some help and opinions to make it read the best it can.

For anyone that hasn't read through the NHTSA pages, here are the requirements of the provision:

"In determining whether a vehicle is eligible for importation for show or display, NHTSA will consider the following factors, among others:
    1. Whether a vehicle of the same make, model, and model year was manufactured and certified for sale in the United States.
    2. Whether a vehicle of the same make, model, and model year has been determined eligible for importation pursuant to 49 CFR Part 593.
    3. Whether the vehicle is currently in production.
    4. Whether more than 500 of the vehicles were produced.
    5. Whether the vehicle is a kit car, replica, or special construction vehicle.
    If the answer to any of the above is affirmative, you should not expect NHTSA to grant permission for importation.
    If the answer to item 4 is affirmative, the applicant must establish that the vehicle is of exceptional technological and/or historical significance."

To me it sounds pretty straight forward and I feel the significance of the vehicle should stand up. However Im guessing this needs to be worded right the first time, I doubt there is a second chance once the vehicle gets denied.

I don't think this is impossible, the list includes vehicles such as Ford Sierra 500, RS200 EVO, Audi Sport quattro, Maserati Ghibli Cup, Peugeot 205 T16. It's almost baffling how the Integrale' isn't already on that list".......

Seems everyone thus far has avoided trying thru NHTSA, snuck it here and found a dummy or friend at their local DMV. Geez, they sometimes even register in someone else's name stolen cars.

I rallied in many JDM rallycars (Evos and WRXs) before they were legally imported here and others never imported (Ford Cosworth) that were all registered. Another car built from a shell-in-white w/ no vin#, is registered. Trust me, there are thousands of registered grey market cars in the US. If all else fails, dealer tags go on anything.

Really? I've owned 5 Lancias which is your handful. They were imported here until 1982. Another way some people who get one here may just swap a VIN# with their rusty Beta knowing very few cops have ever heard of a Lancia Beta or Lancia Delta.

3. PlayersMarkus

PlayersMarkus Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    I'm not being ******, relax pro rally codriver.
    The threat was asking for Lancia's in the US and you posted links of Canadian ones, then a post that it's basically no difference and I responded that this is BS.

You don't own one (Integrale), you have never imported one, so you are really not qualified to discount Integrale ownership in the US.Do it once, then you can tell us how easy it is.

More power to you re show and display, my take on it is that it's impossible to add a car to it unless your relationships are as good as Bill Gates's...

And btw, Lancia Beta's are a complete different animal, they have been officially imported. I should have stated Integrales instead of Lancias. And I would love to hear who Andy and Ron imported theirs...

And please don't take this personal

4. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #29 ProRallyCodriver, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    True, I haven't imported a grey market car myself. Just saying there are lots here and people are able to get them registered thru their state DMV or in some instances maybe not so legally. One of my best jobs included driving a right-hand drive Mitsubishi Evo4 from Washington DC to Seattle. Pretty sure its registration was bogus but that just made it more exciting.

I disagree that Canada is not just like the US in that its so easy to cross the border with a car without a second glance. Customs there is more worried about how many cigarettes and beers you are bringing back than what you are driving/towing unless it looks like you may have just purchased the car on a trailer. Throw some racing decals and #s on it and it'd be a cakewalk. Or just have the Canadian seller drive it to you and leave it here. No hassles as if you were importing from overseas to a port.

I think I would try this to temporarily register and insure one if I got as a collector car to just take to weekend shows.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/temp_permit.asp

Link says:
    "Do you need to move an unregistered vehicle from one location to another? Then, a trip permit might be just what you need.

A trip permit allows the owner of any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer to move the vehicle from one location to another without registering the vehicle. These permits are valid for three consecutive days. Motorized vehicles must be properly insured or the owner must pay 1/12 of the $500 uninsured motor vehicle fee. If the vehicle is designed as a property carrying vehicle, such as a van, property cannot be carried in the vehicle while it is operated under the permit."

This gets around registration and insurance and only cost $5 each time in my state. I know I've seen similar permits taped to rear windows in some rallycars.

I'll ask Ron next time he calls me and I'll probably see Andy next month. So are you going to share what you did?

5. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    canada and usa is not the same..

ive lived in 3 boarder states most of my life and have had 3 grey market cars importing cars exporting cars both ways. basically most comments you have made are valid but its hardly a "cakewalk" depending on the vehicle. i'd say its the luck of the draw on which custom officer you'll get and how deep he wants to dive into your vehicles history or legality. if it isnt coming in through one of the show and display type or exempt loop holes you stand a chance losing the car just trying to slap a few stickers on a street car.

just ask the fellow that got his bmw m1 confiscated in blaine after purchasing his car in vancouver. they later auctioned it off for a few patrol boat as i recall.

btw ive driven both the integrale 16v and evo . wicket awesome drive, never driven anything else that remotely feels like that. i actually prefer the lighter 16v over the evo driving wise but its hard to deny the appeal of the wider butch assault weapon like looks of the evo. too bad photos cant capture how they look in the flesh.

cheers all

6. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    The Integrale is definitely a bucket list car, where can you get more info? Any good forums?

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Where does one go to find an official list?

The Maserati Ghibli Cup I find interesting because I know of one in Canada but I'm not aware of any in the USA. I'm not saying there aren't any. I own a Maserati Ghibli Open Cup but that came in as a race car (two of them) not under "show & display".

Presumably someone got this approved and I would think has a car here?

Thanks.

8. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  9. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Yes, bought it on a whim as it is on my bucket list of cars...my other franco-italian project is stalled with custom bearing taking forever (14 month now), thinking I might play with it for a while and see is it worth modifying to an Evo style. Insurance had no problem with the VIN and it's cheap!!

10. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Congrats! Plz post pics/thoughts once rec'd.

What is your "other franco-italian project"?

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    wow, very cool!

let us know how the registration/inspection/emissions process goes...

12. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    you can get the list from the DOT website

13. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...it's an Citroen SM, French Hydraulics with Italian mechanicals what can possibly go wrong ;) I am doing a resto mod on it (shaved gutters, doors, new modern interior, etc..). Also brought in a Euro nose with turning lights, all black going to look very stealth when done....maybe another 2 yrs at this rate!!!

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  16. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004

hmmm maserati ghibli cup... another on of those cars the look much better in the flesh especially if it came with the later tecnomagesios

17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #42 staatsof, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    No good for the road and they only fit the Ghibli Open Cup a.k.a GOC which is NOT a road car. They're magnesium and they crack but they are much lighter than my 3 piece forged wheels and you can feel it on the track.

I would think that a case could be made for the Shamal as well.

18. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004

im surprised they are cracking since that wheel is also shared with the 155 DTM cars, FIA S2 pantera, and various F3 cars in the 90's.

tecno's history and there relationship with campagnolo is most interesting during this period and there wheels are highly sought after during the pre MIM ownership

19. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Edit; I will not be taking possession of the Lancia.

20. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Any reason why?

21. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Nothing directly related to the car, don't mean to generate controversy, but it is not the obvious issue that has been bantered in this thread.

22. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Just off the boat, nearby me.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiciexAPBKU[/ame]

23. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    hmmmm, i recall they arent old campys but newer casting with an updated mg casting process. tecno has done mg wheels for production street cars.

24. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    See, its not so hard.

Perhaps the most legendary Delta ever is now in the states permanently. It won 3 WRC rounds driven by D Auriol. Just codrive it at Chasing the Dragon Hillclimb in N Carolina and next stop is Rally West Virginia hillclimb July 27-28.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p480x480/1013698_10151726549221942_330690237_n.jpg

And another w/ Fina Oil livery is on its was to Nevada and hopefully a S4 soon.

I have connections in Italy now w/ company that restores, races, provides parts and cars w/ experience shipping to US if anyone wants one or 037.

25. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    cool really... an S4? that would be a rare sight indeed over here. last one i saw over here was at the very last group B race in olymipa washington.

i was there with my buddy's along with about 20 spectators (1/4 of them came in my car!) at this finale gr B race that would determine the championship. imagine that compared to the massive 100,000 plus crowds in europe. it just shows the level of interest of rallying here in the states. at the finish line i recall how jubilant the lancia team was think they had just won the world championship and how gutted kankkunan was in his pug. i remember speaking with kankkunan in his car before the crew got there. he was totally exhausted from trying to keep those monsters on the dark rainy forest roads. i wished i had taken some photos of that historical event.

regards

hf

PS anyone have an updated grey market legal car list?