Help, need a measurement please | FerrariChat

Help, need a measurement please

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by abz, Jul 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    I am getting close to doing the final specs on my 458. I am trying to decide if I need to order the front lifter. If I really don't need it, I would prefer not to get it just because I may need it. I have a F430 and the only place I have ever had had a concern is the entrance to my driveway. However, the 430 does clear with a small clearance margin. I need a measurement in a 458 (one without the lifter) to compare to my 430 to help me determine if I will or will not have a potential problem.

What I am asking if someone could please measure the following for me: From the center of the yellow Ferrari cap on the front driver side wheel, drop a perpendicular to the ground. From this point measure 30" to the front of the car and at this point I would like to know the height of the front valence from the ground.

Thanks in advance, Al

2. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Unfortunately I'm currently travelling, so I can't throw a tape on it, but I can confirm that after lowering my 458, it still clears my driveway better that my 430 did, and the 430 was not lowered.

3. jokr

jokr Karting

Nov 30, 2010
    I have a Euro spec car, and I would say the lowest point is about 12.5cm (5") above the ground. This is in the middle of the car slightly closer to the front wheel than the 30" point about where the bottom of the boot is. It is difficult to say at 30" exactly what it is. At the very front it is about 19.5cm (7.7"). I can say that the ground clearance is better than my M3.

4. fuse

fuse Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    #4 fuse, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My US car left driver side front corner is at 7.125” off the ground. There is a lot of room, it clears everything easily so far. It is considerably higher than my Stradale I had. I am sure we can lower it an inch or so and still not have problems.

The black lip isn’t factory, it is a skip plate that the dealer put in. It is not needed. My friend’s car had the front lift, never needed to use it. He had to use it on his Enzo once in a while.

(Sorry, been driving all day today, the car is plastered with dead bugs on the nose. Detailer coming.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    458 is higher than 430.

6. Superquant

Superquant Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    As previously discussed on this forum the front lift can be broadly considered unnecessary as the car clears very well in pretty much all standard conditions. I have yet to find a clearance problem and I live in the northeast with all sorts of elevation changes/ramps/driveways/etc.

7. fireplace63

fireplace63 Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    If the 430 can clear it, the 458 can...perhaps marginally better. I have a 430 stock and the front base gently rub against the floor when i reverse up the slope at my house driveway. I tried on the 458 and it cleared the slope with no contact.

8. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    I want to thank everyone for their comments, recommendations, and measurements. It looks like I will not be ordering the front lifter. Just got back from a fun drive on such a beautiful day in my 430 which I will soon have to say goodbye to. But looking forward to welcoming a 458 in the spring. Have a great day.