Steve Matchett - always staggering | FerrariChat

Steve Matchett - always staggering

Discussion in 'F1' started by kylec, Jul 28, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Does anyone else notice that Steve Matchett always says that something is staggering? Usually he says something to the effect: "The pace of this race is staggering." Last week, I think the "speed of Red Bull's pit stop was staggering." Does it have something to do with Queen's English or what?

2. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Matchett is enthusiastic and continues to be mightily impressed with F1 despite his years of involvement, so 'staggering' could be sincere, or a verbal tic similar to Hobbs' 'there's no doubt about it'. I hadn't noticed Matchett's use of it, so my perception is sincerity.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Didn't notice that one so far, but I'm sure I will going forward. :)

Matchett drives me up the wall with his "there or thereabouts".

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Matchett is my favorite person in F1.

His description of the way a paddle shifted gearbox works in his book "a mechanics tale" is my favorite piece of prose ever, period.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I like him. He's staggering.

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D LOL

The only problem now is this W/E we're all gonna be counting how many times he says it! :eek:

:)

Cheers,
    Ian

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Steve gets paid to leave France and expound on the state of F1...great gig!
    CH

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 Good for him!

Sounds like he also gets to visit the pubs around S/stone and visit with his buddies too - Betcha he visits the UK during the break. S-w-e-e-t!

Cheers,
    Ian

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    "Come on son! Come on!" :)

10. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    "That's the speed and ability of McLaren INTERNATIONAL!"

So annoying.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    My fav part was in his previous book "Life in the fast lane": Description on how they had to do and undo the cable tree a gazillion times. And the description of how they were greeted in Japan (rockstars would be putting it mildly).

12. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The next time I hear any of them say something incredibly annoying, I will kick a puppy. I hope they are reading this because I really like puppies.

13. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I love Matchett, but the thing that REALLY annoys me is his overuse of the word "chassis".
    Come on man, can't you just call it a "car" once in a while???

:-0

Greg

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    well, at least he pronouces it correctly... I absolutely hate when the NASCAR guys pronouce it cha' ass y... its sha' si...

All that being said he does get a bit consumed on the car side... but overall i think it works well ...

15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Lets play "Staggering".

Do a shot every time he says it.

Staggering indeed.

16. pawlie

pawlie Formula Junior

May 10, 2006
    Philly, USA
    Full Name:
    Paul F.
    +1000. That drives me crazy!

My number one pet peeve is every time he mentions the FIA plank getting scraped off the Benetton in 1994 at Spa. I think he mentions that once a weekend.

17. Logical1

Logical1 Karting

Apr 14, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    What's the point of starting a thread that criticizes a phrase used by Steve Matchett?

18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #18 TifosiUSA, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    The point is, Steve Matchett uses the word staggering a staggering amount of times per race. What's the point in posting in it if you think it's such a stupid thread? I don't see much logic in that, Logical1.

The Speed commentating crew was absolutely horrendous this race. Naturally Matchett had to bring up the 1994 Benetton and Hobbs said multiple things that made legitimately no sense. Sounded like he was speaking another language, must've been drunk.

19. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Varsha's obsession with the drivers eliminated from a shot at winning the championship was absurd to me....he brought it up 3 times. Really, I pretty much had those guys eliminated before the first race of the season. AKA: who gives a ****?

20. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Well as long as he kept talking about that he was mathematically eliminating himself from saying something else quite stupid...

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    ROFL

22. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    He's the best of all of them, so he can say "staggering" as many times as he likes. No problem.
    After I read some of his books, I emailed him & he was very polite to email back.
    He has had some "staggering" accomplishments, so I can cut him some slack. Not many of us have helped produce an F1 championship.
    Just my 2 cents
    B

23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

But, man are we hard on these guys! They're not the best (see; BBC for that ;)) and certainly can't please all the folk all the time. It's gotta be difficult to keep talking for two hours, and all in all I don't think they do a bad job.....

As hard core fans, we know the points system and that probably 18 guys are "eliminated" before the first race (!) - He was trying (admittedly ad-nauseum!) to say we're now getting down to the wire - It's getting serious etc.

I actually woke up & watched the Speed stream of FP3 - No commentators! - They just stream Bernievision - It was OK, but definitely strange......... I don't remember the NFL game they broadcast the same way, but do know it didn't work.....

Cheers,
    Ian

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed. I actually like all 4 of them. To me Varsha is the weak link: Often states the obvious and always wants to be politically correct.

Well, that's the rub: I don't mind if they don't talk all the time. I'm perfectly content with watching cars go by for a while with only the engine sound. I know this flies completely against all rules of journalism, but who said we need constant chatter in our lives? It is TV afterall, not radio.

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I certainly hear you, and they do sometimes STFU when we've got a nice onboard going, which isn't bad. A difficult balance indeed ;)

I agree that Bob is probably the weakest link - Who's the Aussie (?) dude who covers for him on occasion? - I like him.

Cheers,
    Ian