Daytona vent window latch adhesive | FerrariChat

Daytona vent window latch adhesive

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jimmyr, Jul 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Any suggestions on an adhesive to reattach the vent window latch? Have tried Permatex rear view mirror adhesive, but it did not last too long. Will not use the latch to close the vent in the future, but do not want the latch to pop off again.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I used clear epoxy on my Dino window latches.

The prior owner had them glued on so well that when mine detached, it took some of the glass with it. The clear epoxy filled that void, and kept them stuck on for five years until I sold the car.

Best solution, unless you're doing the concours thing is to stick 'em in the glove compartment. :D

D

sixcarbs likes this.
  3. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    BTW

New glass vent windows, both coupe and spyder willbe available shortly

4. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Hey Jim, When I got my Daytona, the passenger side latch was in the glove box! I was told that nothing really works well, but being a surgeon, I cleaned both surfaces (lacquer thinner) within an inch of their lives, and re-glued using the kit they sell at O'Reilly. This is essentially what the article says....no dirt, grease, finger prints or cross-eyed looks. So far so good, but, like you, I never plan to touch that vent window again. steve

5. goddrivesa365gts4

Nov 14, 2009
    Hi Shanghnessy,

Just curious, can you tell me what is the difference between the coupe and spyder versions?

I recall reading in a thread about the spyder vs coupe windshield rake and that they used the same part # and therefore the rake was identical. Is this not the case?

Thanks

6. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #7 shaughnessy, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
    The sizes of vent glass was different, had original samples of both

Very subtle difference, undetectable at a glance

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    So subtle Tom its the same part number. Possibly the difference was just being a hand made car?

You can buy the new glass with a pre drilled hole in it from Ferrari in the UK and they can supply the catch to suit so no glue needed, I went for these as both of my catches had pulled a chunk of glass off when the fell off, it seems its not so much the glue that fails but the 40 year old glass. I should now be able to open and close the vent widows without being scared to death of the things falling off.

I was watching the judging of a Daytona at the FOC concourse last year and one of the Daytona's had the new bolt through type, so i asked the judges, when they had finished, if that lost the car points, and they said no as long as it was a Ferrari part. [ just out of curiosity you know ]

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #9 TTR, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
    Fairly common problem (?). As some one who, along with 30+ years of experience in restoring cars and almost 20 of them producing custom-made curved glass for obsolete and one-off applications, I'm fairly convinced that this is mainly due to, as suggested, the "hand-made" characteristics of the Daytona.

To put it simply (?), the O.E. glass glass was manufactured in Germany by S. Gobain to a pattern provided by either Pininfarina prototype builders or Scaglietti people and probably all made alike with not that much, if any, detectable difference between them, unlike the bodies, door window frames, etc..., which were all hand-made somewhat individually per each car and therefor the shapes and contours can vary quite a bit from car-to-car (and due to this, as we all know, most of the body related components were numbered for that particular assembly). I've seen up to 1" differences just in the door lengths on the same (not collision damaged or restored) car and if You think how much that alone can affect the upper-door/window-frame and glass fit, ...

I haven't seen many of the "prototype" Daytonas, but plenty of "production" models and any time I see them, it's obvious that the contour and curvature of the vent glass is completely different than what it should be to be a "proper fit".

IMO, when working on these cars, the above and many other similar aspects should be taken with same mind-set as referenced for the windshield replacement labor in the "Flat Rate Summary" of Braden/Roush book, "Few windshields fit without body work, not quotable"

Timo

9. Fpayntr

Fpayntr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2008
    You don't notice it in a picture but the rear edge of the spider glass is about 3/4 of an inch shorter. The curve of the glass is the same

10. jdowling

jdowling Karting

Oct 4, 2010
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Jack Dowling
    Please provide information on how to obtain the drilled vent window from Ferrari UK.

Is it possible the vent window is the same as a 246 Dino, which is readily available drilled?

Thanks in advance

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Please can you provide proof of this?
    Maranello classics dept have told me they where the same part?

Jack.
    PM on the way re. contact details.

12. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    Best place for the latches is in the glovebox. Mine have been there for 36 years- since they fell off and took a chunk of glass with them

sixcarbs likes this.
  13. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    im not sure-I dont have parts book in front of me-but from recently(last week) the door glass is different in a spyder-ever so slight as TS suggests the vents are...but there is a noticable curvature difference none the less...it is DIFFERENT...and likely shares the same p/n...hand made has nothing to do with it...
    "spur line" assembly is a more accurate reason there...

14. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #15 Wheels1, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    Yes you are right, the door glass is a lot different as it has a corner missing on the Spyder.

The vent frame has the same part number for the Spyder and the Coupe, so it must have the same curvature, give or take a little for fitting, the vent glass also has the same part number [ Spyder and coupe] so it must also be the same, .
    Are you saying Ferrari made very slightly different parts for different cars with the same part number?

15. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Wow. An eight year time frame.

This is a great thread. But it should include mention of the reason for the delamination. It is the swelling of the rubber surround/gasket. I foolishly turned my locking device. And was rewarded by my glass delaminating. As others have mentioned.

Now I know that in order to close vent windows. Pressure is to be placed directly on the glass against the resistance caused by the swollen ribber. Then, turn the lock. ... And pray.

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    OEM vent glass on Daytona shouldn’t delaminate as they were made of single pane tempered, not laminated, glass.

IMO, the biggest contributor to latch failures on these is the less than adequate (rushed?) OEM construction/forming/shaping of the vent & entire window frame structures.
    Easy & smooth operation of vent & door (drop) glass on these can be achieved by reforming/-shaping framework, but re-alignment/-configuration of various related structural components inside the door(s) may also be required.

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    if your wing windows are too tight when shut, then perhaps increase clearance by reducing the striker height.

I drilled out the two rivets that attach the black plastic striker plate and shaved the backside down with a grinder then riveted it back on to have more clearance.

18. rick stormer

rick stormer Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    rick stormer
    Thank you will look at that!

19. rick stormer

rick stormer Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    rick stormer
    i also bougth this product that i have used for many years with great results-Rick

• Genuine:
      Image Unavailable, Please Login
    • SKU:83-19-2-449-390
    • Description:
      BMW Gummi Pflege Rubber Care. Long-lasting protection on all rubber seals around doors, windows, the hood, and trunk. Perfect for protecting and revitalizing rubber seals on sunroofs, doors, and engine compartment seals. Water-based and silicone-free formula keeps seals flexible and repels water, preventing rubber seals from freezing in winter. Also provides UV protection. The convenient foam pad applicator allows for precise application. 2.54 fl oz.

20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ buy at bmw dealers only? online?

21. rick stormer

rick stormer Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    rick stormer
    no you can google-gummi pflege-and research it-cheers Rick

22. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    #25 open roads, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    I probably could have said that my glass broke. But the term delamination seemed to be right. Though my glass was original, and was not laminated. I did not mean to infer such. ... My breakage resulted in a small piece of the vent window remaining attached to the metal part. It was about the size of a half dollar. Or slightly larger than the glued metal facing surface. And the glass material removed by the breakage was about one fourth the size of the width of the original glass. Creating a divot out of otherwise pure glass.

I would expect that others reporting "delamination" had a similar product and experience. I've known of replacement windows that were not laminated. But I've never know a Daytona to have laminated glass.

I think the tern delamination is used (at least in my case) as a small "layer" of glass is detached. And I use the term "layer" loosely here. Previously, I would not have thought that a piece of glass would have failed like that. But it did.