The iPad thread | Page 20 | FerrariChat

The iPad thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by mhh, May 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Is that you pap? If you don't know the answer, why respond?

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #477 moretti, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    What the **** are you on about ****. I own one of these pieces of **** too. I didn't get no ****ing update about anything other then quicktime so shut the **** up, bozo.

4. 916senna

916senna Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #479 916senna, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
    Search for .ipsw files
    If you want to jailbreak don't go higher than 4.3.3. Everything higher was only to stop jail breaking. Didn't fix anything meaningful.

R u on Mac or windoz

5. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's what I thought, but a search came up with nothing. they reckon they can jailbreak 4.3.5 now.

Windows 7

6. 916senna

916senna Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #481 916senna, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
    4.3.5 Only as a tethered break. Might depend on what device though. I think iPad 1&2 are different.

I use a Mac so I can't help with where they are on 7
    Edit.. Google
    http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/97320

7. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Hey PP, I looked at some Android tablets today, sick of lugging my 13" notebook around when I travel (not to mention waiting for Windoze 7 to boot up) but they all seemed slow to me.

I need to able to work on large-ish spreadsheets and pdf files and the office type apps on the tablets took a while to load, then seemed slow to execute basic facilities.

All had the same processor, memory, honeycomb blah, blah.

Are these things only good for web browsing and basic email? Am I expecting too much of something so cheap? The Asus combo thingy (tablet that docks with a keyboard base) was $600 - seems good value.

8. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    They're all pretty much the same as far as hardware And the OS is concerned. Try a netbook perhaps? They really don't do the job if you want serious work done. The iPad is no better. I played with the Asus last week. I liked it, but I've never used a tablet for anything more than browsing, email and satnav really.

9. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    TLDR

:):)

10. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    if you want serious computing power, battery life and thin/light weight, get a sony Z series notebook. they are $3999 but they are the best. other companies make similar things, toshiba have one, macbook air....

11. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    $4k??? where the hell do you think he's going to get that sort of coin from? Roland?

12. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    Correct answer - buy a ThinkPad X220. Boots fast, has a proper CPU and tons of RAM, runs Office like any sensible computing device, proper keyboard and trackpoint, battery life for ages if you want (depending what battery you choose and if you get the optional slice battery too), built better than any Android tablet. Slightly smaller and lighter than a 13" laptop (not much, but if a an iOS/Android slate won't do the job, it's pointless weight). If you really like the whole touchy thing, you can get the X220t which is a convertible tablet, with a stylus (a good one, pressure sensitivity, decent handwriting recognition etc) and optional touchscreen. If you're trying to get work done, it makes any Android tablet look like a joke.

Alternatively, wait for Windows 8 devices to come along and you'll get some more interesting stuff in the convertible tablet space.

13. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    $4K is cheap! Imagine how much they'd cost if Sony had hired a team of engineers to actually make them robust and easy to work on too :)

14. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    fair enough.....

there is also a new tablet out by HP. it uses their own software called WEB OS. they bought out Palm for it. its actually a really intuitive device, works well with syncing multiple accounts and collating contact details etc... or facebook.
    being HP it is a bit better as a business focused tablet over the android system....
    that said, none of them run a proper microsoft office application, but the ones they do are meant to integrate pretty well....

there are windows tablets available. Asus have the e-slate. a 12" windows based core i5 tablet, although hard to get hold of (out of stock for 4 months) it might be the answer... but its just as heavy as what hes got.

15. app

app Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2008
    Adelaide, Australia
    That's ridiculous! Makes the MacBook Pro look ridiculously cheap.

I would never pay $4k for a laptop. It couldn't be that much better than other laptops to justify such a high price tag.

Have Sony VAIO's improved too? I thought they were very unreliable at one stage.

16. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    A friend (who's Brother drove him home drunk recently) salary sacrifices "work" laptops.

3 years ago he paid $6K for a BIG mo-fo laptop, and this year he spent $4500 on a new onw. The old $6K laptop was given to his Wife when he got bored with it and he is still tinkering with his new one.

I forget what brands, but I think the $6K one was an Asus. Top of the line at the time (still good now Id say), had so much crap in it it blew my mind. :D:D

And this guy is on a modest income, just loves his tech stuff. He keeps telling me why his new laptop is the best but I dont pay much attention to him as I have no interest in spending anywhere near that sort of money on a laptop. :)

17. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Apparently you might be in the wrong forum. :D

18. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol, I 'got' that one. ;);)

19. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Agreed, I have one, a Z17. It's my 3rd Vaio and they've all been perfect, my kids are still using the old ones.

It came with Vista, which was hopeless. I installed Win 7 which boots up in half the time, but it still needs about 2 minutes to come out of hibernate.

I'll look at the X220t - thanks for the suggestion.

20. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    you need this guys PC :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGdoqBxqZuw&feature=related[/ame]

works with all alien OS's ...... even MACs :p

21. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    after a couple of days of net research I am amazed at the range of variables attached to what should be a simple product and I've reached the conclusion that they're all flawed. The tablet with the best connectivity has the worst screen, the best screen has the worst battery life, Android Honeycomb 3.0 is buggy, etc, etc.

I've decided to wait for the Sony S1, seems to have the right combination of features and performance, plus its pretty. :)

22. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Just buy a gaming netbook. Sure you will be ass raped on price but nothing is more powerful for 11"

http://www.dell.com/au/p/alienware-m11x-r3/pd?oc=u510413au&model_id=alienware-m11x-r3

:D

The Asus Transformer is one of the best tablets out there. If you not in a rush tho, I'd wait till Oct where the Transformer2 is rumoured to be coming out. This will have the new Tegra3 quadcores :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI-guAGGK3s[/ame]

23. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've been using the Z Series for the last twelve months or so and as a company we bought 7 of them and have just bought the latest version. They have performed faultlessly and are very quick. For me the size plus screen resolution (1920 x 1080) are the key points (and I need the resolution).

As an aside - WTF is wrong with apples website? Why is it so f***ing slow!

24. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Great...just what I want my tablet for...games. *sigh*

25. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Is your name IanB?

If you had a clue you would know that 3d games use the most resources so if it runs games smoothly then it runs all the ****ty office crap.