Excellent news: Mexican GP! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Excellent news: Mexican GP!

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Oct 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
  2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Cancun was fantastic 18 years ago, now just another cheezy vacation destination. F1 is all about the circus, not about the racing. That's why it is at INDY, another wonderful circuit . . . what a joke.

3. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I didn't expect anybody else, he seems to have the monopoly on this. And quite frankly I find his layouts are improving. Nuerburgring or Sepang I consider rather boring, but Bahrain wasn't too bad and the Shanghai I think is actually a very cool layout.

And I really like what he does with the amazing grand stands. Now if somebody would tell him, that some ups and downs would be really appreciated...

5. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    yeah his layouts are really nice, but they say he goes for style over substance. I mean Spa was such a great race, I found the chinese GP a little bit boring. Too much open space. Street circuits are always the best.

This circuit looks to small and simetric, looks too much like a football stadium. if its going to be designed that way.

It also says that it has the posibility of hosting cart and NASCAR.

NASCAR in Cancun, dont know if its been done before, but I would love to see the reaction of the people that live there.

George

6. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    The layout it seems extremely versatile. Local F3, F Renault and stock car series will certainly race there and hopefully other international series.

Nascar has had discussion of racing in Mexico but never anything solid. Cart already has a race in Monterrey (Mexico) and Mexico City. Maybe the IRL can have a race in Cancun.

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Just a necro-bump in response to the latest rumors.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Dr. Strangelove will give you the Necromancer card.
    :)

Glad that Todt is thinking about Mexico. It'd be awesome to have that venue back on the calendar. Just imagine the American contribution to the race calendar: Montreal, Austin, Mexico and Sao Paulo

9. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #34 TifosiUSA, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
    Read half the thread...saw 2006 mentioned several times (figured it was just a typo the first time) then realized it was from 2004 lol.

I would be all for a Mexican Grand Prix...and I wish they would allow more tobacco $$$ in the sport. F1 would be better off. I think it's BS tobacco companies can't have their name on cars but booze manufacturers can. Yeah, booze and fast cars...great mix.

10. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I want my 30 seconds back for clicking on this thread.

11. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    #36 italiancars, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
    I was at the '87 Mexican GP in Mexico City. I had a perfect view of Senna when he went off and the corner workers pushed him back on the track in the middle of the S turns after the front straight and left him there stalled as the rest of the field came back around past the spot. After the field cleared Senna got out of the car and started kicking and swinging at the corner workers.

Found this video, it is pretty much from the same angle that we had in the Grand Stand.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMLcSPQcOp8[/ame]

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  13. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    This thread goes a long way in helping me understand Andreas' Austin naysaying.

14. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    The more the merrier...as long it's not as boring ah Boh-rain track...

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks.

Yes, by all means do not interpret my Austin scepticism as a Debbie Downer kind of thing: It's just that I've been down that road so many times, that I only believe it when I see it.

Granted the Mexican project, which caused me to start this thread 7 years ago was a bit optimistic (although that was before the financial and real estate meltdown when the sky seemed the limit). But we have seen similar and much more advanced projects go up in flames, most surprisingly to me the Roman GP, which logistically was feasible and given Italy's political climate wouldn't have been an issue. But I underestimated the might and opinion of Ferrari.

Next one I'd like to see before I believe it is Sochi. Haven't heard anything there in a while.

As far as this new Mexican GP idea is concerned: This goes into the category of wishlist. Akin to Mateschitz saying that he'd like the Austrian GP back. Possible, but currently no tangible plans.

16. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    With Carlos Slim involved, I can see this happening..... He doesn't need any "investors" or have to grapple with the eco-mentalists etc.

From Autosport this morning;

*Please* upgrade Hermanos - Not another friggin street circuit!

Cheers,
    Ian
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93694

17. meloyelo

meloyelo Karting

May 20, 2002
    Houston Texas
    I'll pass on Mexico. Let the drug lords attend.

my