Did you drive your Ferrari home? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Did you drive your Ferrari home?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by NathanBennett, Aug 13, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NathanBennett

NathanBennett Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Full Name:
    Nathan Bennett
    Thanks! I will certainly keep that in mind. No doubt these cars are a magnet to police.

2. brettgagnon

brettgagnon Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Brett Gagnon
  3. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    i drove my 360 about 80 miles to get her home. Possibly the best drive of my life.

4. kmartin

kmartin Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    No.Va
    Fifteen years ago I purchased my355 , drove it home from Chicago to dc. Had a blast, execpt when I got pulled over in Ohio doing 92/55. All the cars I flew by in Indiana honked at me while I chatted with the trooper.

PS-he let me go!

5. NathanBennett

NathanBennett Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Full Name:
    Nathan Bennett
    Nice Mustang you have!
    I appreciate the ideas you have for the trip. I will need to do that for sure.

6. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    #31 Sled Driver, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
    I purchased my 360 coupe in May, 2010. I picked it up in Houston & drove it home to Seattle.

I got pulled over in Kansas for speeding (95 in a 75 zone). The two cops in the car were more interested in checking out the car (one was taking pics with his camera phone), where I was heading & what I did for a living. They let me go with a warning. One of them was curious if it could out run their Crown Vic. I said with a straight face "I had no idea, I would never drive that fast."

Called my sister & told her "Guess what I'm doing? I just bought a Ferrari & Im driving it home from Houston." She didn't even know I was in the market for one

It started snowing as I drove through Wyoming. I knew I was in trouble when I saw a sign for the "Continental Divide". Who would have thought miles of flat barren plains would be above 7,000 feet? Spent the night in Rawlins & woke to a car covered in ice. I had to get in through the passenger door (the driver's door was frozen shut). Another benefit of the F1, it's easy to climb over the passenger seat. I wish I had a camera with me, would have made a great shot of Ferrari abuse.

On an empty stretch of highway in Idaho (I could see for miles, no cars) I floored it & hit 160 mph (a new personal best). After a short time at this speed I realized that while no police car would catch me, "Police aircraft" could certainly keep up & call their friends to set up a road block.

At that speed a ticket isn't an option, it's straight to jail.

Hooked up with an old school friend in Boise & surprised him with my new car. He complained that his next door neighbour would wake him early in the morning starting his Harley. It was around 11:30 at night so I said why don't we return the favor? I revved my 360 with a Tubi NGT Comp exhaust 5-6 times to red line. I think they could hear it all across town.

All in all a good trip, the car was filthy from the drive & needed a good bath when I finally got home.

"M"

7. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I used my truck and enclosed trailer to bring my F355 home from CA to AZ. It wasn't too far and weather wasn't a factor but it gave me an "out" if I didn't make the deal on the car. This is an important point that hasn't been discussed. If you fly down planning to drive the car home and the deal falls through what will you do? A one-way ticket home on short notice is gonna cost $$$. Also a chunk of miles on the highway (boring to me, I like the twisty stuff) along with the rock chips from trucks just wasn't appealing to me. Call me cautious but I just prefer to avoid the situation of trying to find a tow for a Ferrari in the middle of nowhere, it's not on my list of things to experience in life.

Whatever you decide you will still have the joy of peeking in the garage a few times the first night it's home just to make sure it's real. ;)

8. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Nathan,

For me, finding the car was half of the fun. The other half was just being able to drive it.
    I hope you find your perfect car.
    When that time comes, I hope you enjoy your experience whether you decide to drive it home, pick it up in your trailer or have it shipped to you.
    Happy hunting! :)

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Yep. Bought the 360 F1 Spider and drove it home. 3.5 hours of pure bliss. Went over Independence Pass 12,000' above sea level. Just magic.

Life is good.
    Life is better when driving a Ferrari. :cool:

10. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I bought my 1967 GTC (sight unseen) in Tucker, Ga and drove it to Rochester, NY, around 950 miles.
    One overnight stop, a great road trip.

DRIVE IT!!!!!

Bob Z.

11. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nope. Shipped from WA DC to Seattle. (328 GTS). I can't imagine the discomfort
    of driving this car 3000 miles on crappy freeways :eek: I can do about 2-3 hours
    max at a shot, then I just have to get out of it. Fun as hell sure - but hardly the
    kind of car I'd drive across the US!

:)

Jedi

12. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    My 348 arrived on a flat bed, hadn't been started in over 5 years.

I checked it over, vacuumed a ton of acorns and leaves out of the air cleaner, changed oil, poured in some fresh gas and hot-wired it (ignition lock was gone). Fired right up and ran good. I drove it outside and took it to the end of the block and back.

Back inside and dropped the motor out for some long-deferred maintenance and repairs.

13. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    My first Ferrari drive-home was a bit surreal...

I took my 993 C4S in for a regular maintainance in Greensboro NC... but I drove back home in Raligh in a black 355.... I didn't know exactly what I have done. My girlfriend at that time also didn't know what I had done. She didn't freak out, more like pissed off..ha ha ha.

So, the drive home was full of strange feeling...what to say to her, how will friends react, what about its usability as a daily drive machine???? The driving was just OK as it was on Freeway only, but man, the head was full of qustions.

14. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Drove mine about 150 miles or so home after I purchased my F355 B 3 or so years ago. I've put about 13,000 miles or so on her over the past 3 years. I'm not shy about driving it.

15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mine was shipped from the West Coast to Port Huron, Michigan...I drove it home from Port Huron, which is about 60 miles east of Port Huron.

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yes, from Chicago....

Yes, from Portland Oregon...

Yes, from Springfield, MO

Also:
    TransAm
    Yes, from Madison WI

Saturn Sky
    Yes, from Akron, OH

17. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #42 toggie, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
    I drove my 1998 550 home from Algar Ferrari in Philadelphia, about a 3 hour drive.
    It was all interstate driving and I learned what a great highway cruiser a 550 is that day.

It was a wonderful trip, I bought the car about 2 and a half years ago.
    I rented a one-way small Hertz rental car from home to Philly.
    Fellow fchatter dm-n-stuff met me at Algar and helped me drop off the rental car a few miles away.
    The sales staff at Algar showed me how to work everything in the car, such as the radio, lights, windshield wipers, and built-in radar detector.
    The car was fully detailed when I picked it up and looked great sitting there in front of the dealership.

I highly recommend you start a thread when your planning your trip and meet up with a few fchatters on the way home.

18. James J

James J Rookie

Aug 15, 2011
    I drove my 360 from Austin, TX to Birmingham, AL nearly 800 miles and back. I went with my friends for a party. I can't forget how i felt on that day. Its really a nice experience. Why to drive brand new car from showroom to your home, they provide you the free delivery if got damaged f** them and get a new one.

19. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    I flew into Phoenix on a Saturday morning, July 2001. Had the dealer pick me up at the airport (in a brand new Jag by the way). Took the 308 QV I was looking at for a test drive, liked it, bought it. Headed out of Phoenix around 12:30 and hit Albuquerque before sundown. Left Albuquerque Sunday morning around 6:00 and made Denver by noon. Best drive of my life and will never forget it. Not many people on I-25 on a Sunday morning. It was a nice introduction to Ferrari ownership. And yes, at every stop you definitely draw a crowd.

20. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Ok, so this is fairly embarrassing...

About a month ago my wife and I drove my 2010 BMW M3 from where we live (near Dulles Airport in Northern VA) to near Philadelphia (roughly 3 or so hours) to go look at a 2008 F430 Spider.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I traded in the M3 there and then, and bought the F430. By the time we had finished the paperwork and such, it was around 6PM and we started driving home -- apparently I had had a little too much excitement, and so after 50 miles or so I was REALLY sleepy (ever seen a puppy that has been running around all day? Like that!), and so my wife drove it the rest of the way hope, while I zonked out in the passenger seat...

So, yes, it was driven home, but only partly by me....

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'm in Charleston, bought the car in Miami... debated driving the car up but in the end had it shipped. Didn't want a car I hadn't seen in person or driven prior to break down on me on the way.

When that big white box (delivery truck) came down my road it was like Christmas... but only 20 times more exciting! It opened and there she was. Turning her on to get her off the truck was my first drive.. I will never forget it. :)

22. IDV8GTB

IDV8GTB Karting

Nov 25, 2006
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #47 IDV8GTB, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I picked up mine near LA, drove through a snow storm in Utah, and arrived 1000 miles later in Boise without any issues. Interstate cruising in a 328 made me wish for a 6th gear to bring the revs down below 4K. What is sweet music on short drives is more like intrusive noise after several hours. Don't get me wrong, I love the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    850 miles from Dallas to Atlanta in the middle of July, and I loved it. The a/c really was pretty good for the whole trip - yes southern US in the middle of summer and it kept up. I also don't have any issues with the sound or the seats. My son and I were totally comfortable for the entire drive and while he listened to his ipod, I just heard the engine. The 308 is a surprisingly good road warrior, with a comfortable ride and at least for me, comfortable seats.

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Teamwork!!

Great first post, buy her some roses on the way home tonight.......

25. AlanWard

AlanWard Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2010
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alan Ward
    I had my 360 shipped but later learned that it's sometimes better to drive them home. Apparently shipping a 360 from sea level to 5400 feet sometimes confuses them whereas driving them during the altitude change allows them to adjust gradually.