575 to 599 | FerrariChat

575 to 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by msgm1, Aug 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    Who has made the move from 575 to 599?

What was the major difference between the two cars?

I have a 575 I used as a daily driver during the summer months and I'm thinking about making the move.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments.

2. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #2 fou, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    I would love to hear from owners who have made the switch as well. I have owned my 575 for 5 years and love it, but have some seat time in many newer cars such as Scud, 16M and 599.

I have not had the "daily" routine in a 599 that I enjoy in my 575. I drive my 575 to work and even park it in crowded parking lots at work, grocery...even took it to Walmart last night to pick up something quick. Drove it all day today and left it in the lot at court.

My limited impression was the 599 being SO much quicker and much more of a daily car if you so choose. Easier to get in and out of. But damn, that thing can MOVE. massive leap in noticeable HP.

I too am thinking of the move and would love to hear from others.

3. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    Who has made the move 575 to 599, please give us you thoughts?

4. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    #4 AlfaR, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
    I have not driven a 575 but I moved from a 355 to a 599 so while I cannot give you a comparison between the two I can try and give you an opinion on what it is like to live with the car.

The 599 has the F1 SuperFast which is the smoothest single clutch gearbox I have experienced. The difference between and F1 SuperFast and what you get in a 430 is night and day in my opinion...it is a significant improvement. I used mine for long road trips and drove it to work on nice days.

The 599 is not soft by any means but it is comfortable and has a pretty good stereo by Ferrari standards. The car is big but it is easy enough to park. A great daily driver if your commute does not involve stop and go traffic.

5. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    thx eric

6. jpcourt

jpcourt Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe C.

Well said....

7. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    I'm currently in Europe where 599 prices are dropping faster than a stone in a lake. I never thought that a 599 could be within my budget so soon, but by next year (if in my business all goes well...) it should be within target.

I have never owned a 575 but I have had years with the old 550, a car that I love for its engine but which can be frustrating in the handling department - too much understeer and it always feels very front heavy, my recent Maserati Granturismo MC Stradale is a much, much better car at handling on curvy roads or at the track.

Are there any 599 owners out there who have experience of really DRIVING their cars - i.e. not just "cruising the boulevard", but actually pushing the car on the limit, taken it to the track, driving it like a stolen rental, you know what I mean?

And how does the 599 feature in terms of running costs / maintenance / reliability? I have no illusions about mileage, but if it is a solidly reliable car without known problems, I would be willing to pay the fuel costs, safe in the knowledge that nothing else will go wrong - not something you could say about all supercars. And how is it on tires? My 550 kills tires at a rate of a full set every 3000 miles, which makes it almost as expensive as the fuel bills :). Is the 599 gentler on the rubber?

So, to all 599 owners - please give us a full review, it will be highly appreciated! Thank you!

8. Johnny Prezemullo

Apr 24, 2006
    Well, I have recently changed back from a "normal" 599 to 575 again.

In December 2010 I bought a 599 with 2.700 km and drove it up to 33.000 km in June 2011. I used it as every day car, especially on long german "autobahn" trips.

Compared to my 2005 575 F1 with Fiorano package the 599 has a worse road holding especially in really fast curves an no chance against a well driven 575 with Fiorano package; the 599 composite brakes are of course from another world that the ones from the 575 and the 599 F1 shifting is much better.

Out of my personal point of view the 599 has too much "play-station character" compared to the "soulful" old 575 with its frontengine layout and its therefore "heavy" steering touch compared to the "light" steering touch of the 599.

The 599 is of course much more spectacular than the 575 in terms of speed and noise but the more or less "effortless" acceleration on a straight is boring compared to the thrill of a well executed curve for which the 575 is the far better "partner" - which I find out of my backtime racing activities including 3 times 24 hours Nürburgring.

I am really happy to have now a 575 with GTC package and I don´t miss my "old" 599.

My advice is:
    Give your 575 a chance to get old with you.

9. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    Johnny very interesting that you feel the 575 with fiorano will out handle a base 599 in the twisties...

10. xto

xto Karting

Mar 20, 2006
    Get the 599 with the HTGE package and it will eat the 575 for lunch.

11. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    If you regularly push your 550 to the limit then I am sure you will be able to afford the maintenance of a 599. I am not aware of any "known" problems with the 599. I put about 30k miles on my 599 and replaced the clutch once. I have heard clutches going as early as 4k miles and they a several thousand dollars...that will likely be your biggest expense since you "DRIVING" you car. My tires never went as early as 3000 miles but 5k miles is pretty normal for the car.

12. Johnny Prezemullo

Apr 24, 2006
    For those who find the HTGE package as a "better" solution:

Both the 599 and even more the HTGE package is overdamped and "hard" and only the best if the road and/or track surface is "flat" otherwise the car starts to jump where the electronic networking steps in to brake power and cuts speed.

The same jumping goes with eletronics "off". So in both "modi" and on a "bumby" surface the hard layout is worse. Therefore the same car but with "softer" dampering and spring rates is quicker that the "hardcore" damped car.

On a normal daily not track use you don/t have a "flat" road to eat the "soft", only very seldom.

Thats why is the softer 575 with Fiorano Handling in its latest configuration is "faster" than the often "air jumping" 599 if driven to their limits on normal streets.

So on a twisty german autobahn route with no long straights between the curves the 575 will not be eaten by 599 what a 599 driver found when we had a nice and friendly battle by chance on very twisty part of the german autobahn.

Besides: a well running and cared 575 is faster than the 599 in the range between 4.500 and 5.500 r/pm. The 575 is not a "slow" car.

So out of my point of view the sheer speed of the 599 comes from the combination of a much higher power output of the engine, much faster shifting and finest brakes but not from a better basic suspension - damper - spring layout.

13. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Wow, I'm very surprised by your posts, I would never have expected anyone saying that the 575 was in any way better than the 599.

If I look at lap times (as tested by various European magazines over the years) I see a quite clear picture:

Top Gear track: the lap time of the 599 is 5.6s faster than the 575 Fiorano
    Vairano: the 599 is 4.4s faster
    Nurburgring: the 599 is 18s faster
    Hockenheim: the 599 is 2.7s faster
    Fiorano: the 599 is 5s faster

Looking at these numbers, I would say that the 599 is overwhelmingly superior to the 575 Fiorano. Do you really think that this huge improvement in lap times is due only to the superior straight line acceleration? I mean, this is possible, but it would mean that the 599 is enormously faster in a straight line in order to build up such huge gaps without gaining anything in the corners.

Somewhere I have stashed away the German Sport Auto magazines where I can dissect the individual lap times at Hockenheim and Nurburgring, and compare the speed through each corner for both cars.

Interesting... if the 575 Fiorano is that good and the 575 HGTC presumably even better, I don't even need to stretch my budget so much to get a 599... :)

Thanks everyone for the replies, in any case it seems that the 599 is a very user friendly car that I could really drive without too many worries (apart from the risk of theft...)

14. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    I think it certainly could be the 599s straight line acceleration. The F1 superfast is amazing. The 599 has more weight and less horsepower than an Enzo but it is faster to 60.

15. Johnny Prezemullo

Apr 24, 2006
    All the race tracks you mentioned - with the exception of the Nurburgring - are not bumby but "flat", i have driven on all of them.

On the "old" Nürburgring (22 km long) the 575 looses 18 seconds which is less than 1 second per kilometer.

On the really fast stages where acceleration, top speed and engine power counts = Döttinger Höhe - Flugplatz - from Bergwerk on to Klostertal - the 575 is loosing about ten seconds.

If you keep in mind that the 599 brakes are much much better than the 575 brakes you will realize how good the handling of the 575 (with Fiorano Package) is.

If a 575 would have the same engine power and torque of a 599 and those 599 brakes the 575 would be not slower.

You will realize how different the 575 is from the 599 if you enter the 599: the 575 is much lower and the entry is easy whereas leaving the 599 is uncomfortable.

16. Sassicaia

Sassicaia Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Walter

Based on these observations and analyses, would there be a significant differerence if the 575 has the HGTC package w/CC brakes v. the FHP? Or, are the FHP and HGTC packages very similar with respect to performance when compared to the 599?

Thanks.

17. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    All this track talk is kinda useless for the daily driver routine. With my extensive 575 driving experience v the limited time in a 599, I just found the 599 to be crazy fast on back country roads. probably never will take either to a track. i guess the real question is if it is worth the price of admission to step up to the newer model for a city/country afternoon driving experience? I am undecided. I really like the look of the 575, but that extra Umph from the 599 has me on the fence.

18. xto

xto Karting

Mar 20, 2006
    Go for the 599! You will never look back.

19. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    To the Gentleman that claims a 575 can be faster than a 599.....

Please study the following link comparing the 2 vehicles;

http://www.fastestlaps.com/comparisons/ferrari_575_maranello-vs-ferrari_599_gtb_fiorano.html

In particular the 0 - 100 MPH

575 = 9.4sec
    599 = 6.8sec

There is a massive amount of difference there alone.

I have driven both vehicles and I can confirm that a 599 is far superior in everyway and it should be, given the advances in technology...

Can you drive a 599 everyday... Of course you can.

In stop, start traffic probably not, however this would be the same as the 575 anyway.

20. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #20 Ferrarista3, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
    I agree with the above...but from experience, the 599 behaves very well in stop and go traffic. The 599's F1 gearbox is very gentle on the clutch (unlike previous F1 systems).

After 32K+ miles she still has around 80% of clutch life remaining (and she has seen her fair share of traffic + slow speed maneuvering).

21. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I'm not sure where you've read that? Not in this thread. What I read is that he is saying is that the 599 has much better brakes and much better acceleration (which ties in with what you say anyway) but that the 575 HGTC (not many of those around - only six UK cars, for example) handles as well as a 599 and that he enjoys driving it more. Having not driven a 575 HGTC or a 599 I cannot say if he is correct or not but I do find it interesting.

Jonathan

22. nfg2507

nfg2507 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It seems like you didn't read any of Johnny's posts. Read his posts and you will have answers to yours.

I don't know why this bothers me, probably because your post feels like ignorance - Johnny already explained EVERYTHING you mentioned.

23. tocho

tocho Karting

Oct 6, 2006
    I went from a 550 to a 599 earlier this year. I love both cars. The reason I changed was that I found a car (599) spec'd as I would've had I ordered it new, and obviously that I had the money. The 599 is a technically superior car, it feels (scary) faster compared to the 550 and it handles beautifully. Both of them are perfect daily drivers and very comfortable GTs.

I do miss the manual gearbox of the 550 (the F1 superfast in t he 599 is phenomenal don't get me wrong) but this is more of a personal taste.

Either way, its a 12 cylinder Ferrari...

24. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Ok, so the million dollar question seems to be: how much is the 599 really worth over a good 575 Fiorano or HGTC?

In Switzerland where I am now I can get an excellent 599 F1 with nice spec for $160K. On the other hand, a good low mileage '03-'04 575 Fiorano can be had for $100K or even less if you go for a car with 20-30K miles.

Is the 599 worth 60K more than the 575? From what I'm reading, I would guess that it probably is. For starters, it is unquestionably technically superior, and it is a much newer car. Although the 575 seems to be pretty much bulletproof, a younger 599 is probably going to be more reliable and cheaper to run in the long term.

The handling of the 575 FHP seems to be on a par with the 599 on low speed corners, but the 599 is far superior everywhere else. Acceleration and braking are part of the fun, and in these respects the 599 is by far the best car.

So... is this worth a 60K premium over a 575? I think it all comes down to personal taste (and wallet size :) ). For me, I'll wait until the 599 drops to 130K and then I'll bite. Or I may get a 575 at 90K now. Or maybe not. Help!!! :)

25. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You always have to balance the additional money against how much you value the new car. Otherwise we would all drive 6 to 10 year old toyota camrys.