Best Truck/SUV for the Urban Jungle | FerrariChat

Best Truck/SUV for the Urban Jungle

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Craigy, Aug 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    In y'alls experiences and opinions, what brand/model truck would be the most capable of soaking up daily direct impacts of potholes, speedbumps, and bicyclists. . . and stay solid, not develop dozens of rattles and squeaks, not blow shocks, et cetera.

Excluding vehicles like a hummer or unimog. . . . thinking more along the lines of a wrangler unlimited, landcruiser, range rover, or maybe even a F-150 but preferably an SUV.

;)

2. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    GMC Yukon, as long as gas isn't a concern. Very handy, and surprisingly easy to park for the city.

3. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Yeah I was thinking the yukon or tahoe might be a viable option, but GM build quality would be the only question mark.

Fuel is in theory a part of the equation, but stepping up to an SUV it kind of goes out the window.

4. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    If you hit potholes hard you will probably get rattles in anything you drive and if you are worried about blowing shocks you really should be driving something with solid axles and leaf springs. I would recommend an FJ-80 preferably one with factory lockers since it sounds like you are going to be traversing some punishing terrain.

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #5 El Wayne, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had an FJ Cruiser and found that it did all of the above nicely and was extremely reliable. It was comfortable, not too big or too small, and could go anywhere/do anything. It took a ton of abuse but remained solid without a single squeak or rattle.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Another good idea. I had never really considered the FJ, and assumed they wasn't much to it. But upon brief research it looks like a more jeep wrangler-esque land cruiser.

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Another plus is that you can get the 4X4 model with a 6-speed manual - a major factor in my purchase decision. :)

8. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I looked into the FJ a few years back and really liked the truck (I still like it), but was turned off by Toyota. At the time (2008), the Fjs were having an issue where the front frame was flexing and causing the fenders to bend inward at the top due to the loads/stresses of just regular street driving. I stumbled upon the issue on the FJ forum literally just as I was about to order one. I asked the dealer about the issue, who said they knew nothing. I asked Toyota about the issue, who said they knew nothing and denied the problem existed. Yet a lot of owners were reporting problems. About 6 months later in late 2008, Toyota started adding extra rigidity to the frame and front fenders to prevent the problem from happening, however they never admitted the problem even existed so a lot of owners of earlier models got stuck. A year or so later, the whole Toyota cover up thing happened with other models....go figure.

After the FJ, I considered a Wrangler and test drove a bunch, but having had other Chrysler products, I knew Chrysler quality was awful and the dealer service wasn't even subpar.

So I bought an H3, which was the best truck I ever owned. Unfortunately, earlier this year a NYC sanitation department snow plow had other ideas and unless your in an army tank, the sanitation department snow plows wins in a contest.

Net-net, if you want a FJ, lease it, and don't buy one used pre-2009 model year, as they will have this issue with the front fenders.

The new Durango looks interesting, but it is a Chrysler product.

If you don't mind pre-owned, look for a Porsche coming off lease.

9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had an 08 GMC Sierra. The build quality was great. I didn't have any squeaks or rattles the entire time I had that truck. It went anywhere and looked the part. I would get a Yukon or Tahoe with no regrets. Plenty of aftermarket parts. You mentioned the "urban jungle". A Yukon or Tahoe will blend in a little in the bad areas.

10. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #10 cavallo_nero, Aug 23, 2011
    i have the 07 fj cruiser since new - the TRD special edition off roader. never heard of or have problems with teh front fenders. and i have been doing some extreme off roading in colorado - even been airborne a few times. what an incredible vehicle and solid..and i have almost 70,000 miles on it..

11. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    "what brand/model truck would be the most capable of soaking up daily direct impacts of potholes, speedbumps, and bicyclists..."

Land Rover Defender, no doubt about it IMHO.

12. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I'm not down on this truck, I liked it then, and I still like it now. It's got quirky looks, a nice ride, and is fun to drive. I'm currently thinking about acquiring one for one of my sons. Could be that the TRD special edition has a beefier frame, not sure. The issue was resolved in the 2009 model after I bought my H3. This problem is out there on the net if anyone wants to research it, it's real. Even wiki has a reference to the problem, but they say it was corrected in 2008, which I think is incorrect.

It wasn't this problem per se that annoyed me, all products have issues, especially the initial model years of a new vehicle. But up until that point, Toyota was the world's golden child in terms of automotive "quality". My concern then was around Toyota and their dealers outright denying this issue existed. Shortly thereafter, Toyota's quality issues and ignorance around them became tabloid fodder when the "auto acceleration" issues came to light. Now that they've been humbled, they are more transparent about issues with their products.

13. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #13 cavallo_nero, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
    all FJs are built on the proven Tacoma frame. no new tweaks for the FJ or the TRD model. hmmm
    i am on the fj cruiser forum - i will check to see what they are saying on there - i am curious now,,

14. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #14 nathandarby67, Aug 23, 2011
    I will add another vote for the FJ. I have a 2007 4x4 with about 110K trouble free miles. I find it perfect for in town running around. You don't give a second thought to potholes, curbs, and bumps that you would have to negotiate very carefully (or not at all) in a normal car. It is also fantastic off road, and can tow small to medium sized stuff very well. Holds a decent amount of stuff, and has a rubber floor you can wash out so you don't have to worry about tracking in mud, dirt, or grime. I find the large (Yukon etc) sized SUVs are much more cumbersome in town due to their size. The FJ is easy to squirt in and out of traffic and easy to park.

I have read about the frame issues on the FJ boards, but have never had a problem with my truck. I think the overall percentage of trucks affected is small, but the issue is out there. There have also been reports of rear diff problems in early trucks that got fixed in 2006/2007.

15. brassM3

brassM3 Karting

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    FJs are built on the Prado platform (same as Lexus GX) which is a little different compared to the Taco platform though they do share drivetrains.

I've got an '07 FJ Cruiser as well that has been heavily modded for off road use. I don't have the fender rips/bulges on mine but I did have the throwout bearing issue (currently on my third bearing with 65,000 km on the truck) which is common on the FJs and Tacomas with the 6 speed manual. Overall I love the FJ and have had a lot of fun modding it, I hope to keep it until the wheels fall off. That said, unless you're going to use it offroad I would choose a 4 Runner, it is similar to the FJ but more practical (4 doors) and more comfortable.

Also take a look at Ford Raptors, I've been eyeing them for about a year and a half and want one bad!

[​IMG]

16. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

#16 b-mak, Aug 23, 2011
    Without question, a Raptor.

Best urban assault vehicle ever, based on first hand knowledge...

17. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Another FJ issue is frame rust. MY FIL has one and he told me about it. When i saw the pics i couldnt believe it. Lots of rust underneath and at suspension P/u's.

18. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Interesting to hear more about the FJ. I guess I'll have to dig a little deeper. . . :)

I've also been checking out the Lexus GX, which seems like a more civilized alternative, yet still pretty rugged (won fourwheeler of the year award twice in a row). The new body style is a little less attractive IMO, but money wise a new one be out of range anyway. In theory it could have some of the same frame problems as the FJ, but I haven't heard anything like that so far.

The Raptor is pretty killer, but I have a feeling I would rarely want to leave anything in the open bed, although the ability is nice. A cover would probably solve that, but I wouldn't want to wussify it too much :D

And then the Yukons are very appealing, except it goes against every ounce of my being to purchase something from GM. I see a lot of them and they do blend in well.

19. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #19 msdesignltd, Aug 25, 2011
    I am a Little Partial...

On my 4th Range Rover now..
    First time I leased a sport model, SC.
    I truly believe that the sport is more comfortable than the full size..
    This year suspension has electronic modifiers that put an end to body roll..
    Just Hunker Down and Blast off!

20. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    Between me and my wife we have owned 4 Range Rovers. A Classic, a P38, and two of the current full size Range Rovers and I am very surprised to here you say that you like the Sport better. I have never had a Sport but I have driven and ridden in one and while it is very nice to drive I do not think it is more comfortable than a full size.

Also the interior quality of the Sport is no where near the quality of a full sized Range Rover. Maybe I am just a RR traditionalist and I have gotten used to the body roll but I like the full sized RR suspension better. I also think the visibility is better in the full sized model.

21. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    AllTrue............The sport is 9/10ths of the overall full size..

I am basing my observations on my travels...
    Each weekend I go out east, its a 110 mile drive, usually 2 1/2 to 4 hours... Been doing it for 10 years..with my last 08 sc full size , and all the others...I was screaming by 2 hours that my butt could not take it, sqirming like crazy..
    Sounds odd, but now 2...4..or more hours is no pain, no discomfort.
    It took getting used to the step down in size, but now I consider the full size an elephant, And now I drive a Gazelle..

BTW..mine is now an autobiography...the leather and sound insulation has been upped..and the suspension vastly improved.
    This car stands third in performance behind the BMW M and CayenneTT.
    but equal to the Cayenne tt in comfort at half the price.

22. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I weighed several factors before buying my Excursion

ability to carry lots of people & gear

plentiful & cheap parts

easy & cheap to fix

Large

4x4

Diesel

The only truck that filled all the boxes was the 4x4 turbo diesel Excursion

23. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #23 msdesignltd, Aug 26, 2011

On Certain sport models, The Interior exceeds the base model full size..

Tea and Crumpets for all..

24. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    #24 AlfaR, Aug 26, 2011
    I think it is debatable.

This one has the upgraded leather but the interior apart from the seats (and possibly the wood on the lower console) is exactly the same as the base model.

25. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think William has it down. When the food riots start, let's all pile in that thing. I'll bring the guns! :)