what is your F car driving experience in heavy rain | FerrariChat

what is your F car driving experience in heavy rain

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by DL997TT, Aug 25, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DL997TT

DL997TT Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Daniel Leung
    Hi all,

I tried to search but couldn't find any threads regarding the F car driving experience in heavy rain. Please let me know how good is the F car handling heavy rain and your experience?

Thanks
    DL

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Just say NO especially w a TR or a high hp car

If you really must put it in top gear and be Very careful w throttle application

3. NWaterfall

NWaterfall Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
    I thought it was fun. The 360 was very progressive with the slip angle.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    512TR is out of control above 60mph

Havent driven the F40 in really heavy rain, I always put in in 5th & just cruise when it gets wet

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    355 can be a bit difficult

6. GML

GML Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Kansas
    I tried going through a very heavy downpour (visibility was only about 10 or so feet due to the rain) on my 430 and even on the "rain" mode, it was pretty scary. I was doing a 60 on a 75mph highway and the car was slipping all over the place. I guess those wide wheels aren't helping too! I wondered whether the "snow" mode would've made a difference... Fortunately the car didn't melt!!!

7. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Since 1970 when I bought the Lusso, I have zero experience with that.

8. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I did an autocross event last fall with the morning session during very heavy rain. Totally wet pavement with big puddles, rivulettes etc.
    The windshield fogged up a bit but the wipers did their job ok.
    Max speed was <60mph, and the all-season Bridgestone tires were awesome - very predictable in all directions, kicking out the back end at will powering out of turns. Mucho fun.

I don't have video from the morning but here's the very end of my last run of the day on a mostly dry track:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYUJ5ZviEXM[/ame]

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Two years ago, I drove my F355 on near slicks from Texas to WV over 3 days. Two of those days were spent driving through 2"/hr rain. I mean heavy, continuous, pouring rain.

Background: I have done many stints driving the F355 on race tracks while raining, and have a good sense of what the car will do when hitting one kind of puddle or another on the road. Needless to say, this develops a special kind of touchy-feely control over the car, and a keen desire to keep the front end in front of the car.

So, other than a whole bunch of 65-70 MPH darting caused by heavy patches of water tugging and pulling on the car, and the underarm excretions that accompany such movents of the car not on behalf of driver inputs, the car went just fine. No electrical problems, no running problems, and it did take the car a whole day to clean once I got there. {It also killed both <original> radiator fans--as in locked up tight, so tight that you cant turn either one by hand.}

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've driven my various Ferraris in heavy rain. Not generally my first choice, but sometimes that's the deal. It's not a big deal-- other than in my old Mondial Cab, which leaked so badly that I needed a towel across my legs to keep dry.

11. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    From the Magnum contingent, I've driven my 308 in heavy downpours, both moving and stuck at stoplights, and once hit a large bit of standing water at 40mph. No problems, no drama, no leaks (mine is a GTB which does make a difference) and the car just purrs along. I probably wouldn't make a habit of it, but I'm definitely not afraid of getting caught out.

Rain-X is highly recommended. The wipers suck.

12. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    It's all about the tires. I drove a Stradale on track in the rain....with Pilot Sport Cups. Not advisable. But, I've driven a regular 360 in light snow - with the right tires....no problem whatsoever.

In general, you will have less grip than a standard car because of the width of the tires, but if you have good tires and a light foot....you're all good.

13. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Ditto, but my windows and gauges kind of fogged up.

14. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Drove my 430 four hours in pouring rain. It was the culmination of an ill fated, long road trip. It wasn't by choice and I hope to avoid those conditions in any car.

Passenger window started to leak after a while. It drove and handled without issue but as soon as I got back to town, CEL came on. It ran like crap after that. I think the heavy rain caused some problem. I don't recall the specifics of it at the moment. Bad memory I'm trying to forget.

15. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    was at a car show recently. suddenly people started leaving. i wondered why until i turned around. the sky was black as night and full of lightning. i packed up and headed for home. within minutes the storm hit, hard. suvs were pulling over. the curb lane was inundated with the ocassional large tree branch lying in the roadway. the water was actually coming over my hood. my first fear was of stalling but remembering the engine was behind me i decided to press on. i could hear the alternator belt slipping a bit but it didn't seem a problem. the defroster worked remarkedly well as it cleared the entire windscreen except for the area behind the binnacle, the section i was looking through. other than that the car performed perfectly. i would have loved to have seen the people's faces in the trucks that pulled over as i came ploughing by.

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I've had 308s, 348s, TRs and an F40 in the wet and it was a no brainer. You just have to adjust your driving style for the wet.

The biggest surprise was my CS on P Zero Corsa's. I had the car for about a week and I got caught in a monsoon. Car tracked fine. No real hydroplaning. No drama.

And for the record, none of them melted.

17. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    My old CS in the heavy rain was tracking OK if the speed is below 120km/h....but the sliding window wasn't!!!! It leaks like a sinking boat (worse if you park in and it rains heavily).

The 355 in heavy rain is also driving just fine below 120 km/h... but higher speed brings out some funny floaty feeling to the steering whee.

The current car, 575 seems to be the most stable of the bunch except going through a deep patch on the road.

The wide tires are the problem I think....

18. D-360Ag

D-360Ag Rookie

May 30, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    We had a track day (pre-paid) when it rained all day, so went anyway.
    With new Pirelli PZeros, and the traction control full on, it was actually pretty good in my 360 spider. Top speeds at the end of the short straight were for me 160km/h (100 mph). Third gear on most of the track. Braking was very controlled, and corners/accel were kept under control by the traction control. In fact, if it wasn't engaging regularly, I wasn't pushing it as hard as I could...
    I did get a splash of water on my chest from the front edge of the fabric roof, and it took a day in the sun (next day) to dry the carpet behind the driver's seat. But the car was in heavy rain from 8am to 5pm.
    Tires, tires, tires.

19. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    all about the tires; being in the Pacific NorthWest, we drive in the rain or don't drive at all. Best to stick between 60-120km/h with the top down in rain, and maybe 348's just don't have enough hp to get into much trouble. Or maybe the Bridgestones just do a great job.

It's a pain to clean the car after, and best to never leave the car parked in the rain (lots of water collection spots in the engine compartment, only protected by chicken-wire mesh).

20. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #20 JazzyO, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    11 1/2 hours (900kms) in a 330GTC in heavy, heavy rain was not fun. Very tiring, and the doors were full of 20 litres of water.

Otherwise I'm not too bothered. The 550 does become a bit twitchy (had wheelspin at 100mph), and I've had the 330GTC sideways at 80mph, unexpected, on a highway. But just as long as you are mindful of this loss of traction and drive a bit more careful, there's no reason not to drive them. And make sure your tyres are up to it - the thread quite often looks fine on the outside but might be worn on the inner side.

Onno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have no experience in rain.