Repair shop in Tampa Bay area | FerrariChat

Repair shop in Tampa Bay area

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Evolve13, Sep 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Evolve13

Evolve13 Rookie

Sep 3, 2011
    Hello,

I am new to this forum having recently purchased a 430.
    I have already had two not so great experiences with the local dealer.
    I realize they are in business to make money, but I am feeling as if their tactics and suggestions are not in my best interests.
    That being said, does anyone know of a reputable repair shop in the Tampa Bay Florida area?
    Thanks for reading this and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. slewman

slewman Karting

May 4, 2004
  3. lgrf50

lgrf50 Formula 3

Jan 18, 2005
  4. Geoladd_328

Geoladd_328 Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Hmmm....I am also interested in an answer to this question.

Sarasota is a bit outta my way.

What bad experiences did you have with our local dealership?

just FYI Ferrari of Tampa Bay charges a buttload of money for PPIs

5. Evolve13

Evolve13 Rookie

Sep 3, 2011
    I have just found out about a guy in largo.

He is out of town, but I plan on meeting him within the next week or two.

I will let you know, if you get me an email address.

As for our local dealer, spot on about your PPI comment.

In addition to the $800 charge, I received a laundry list of their suggestions.

I was told brakes were just over 50% and needed to be changed, that all 4 tires were bad and needed to be changed, and about 5-6 other items that were clearly not necessary.

The estimate was around $5500.

What they didn't know was I had an inspection done in the city I purchased the vehicle, and was interested in a second opinion, but more importantly, establishing a relationship with my local dealer.

I agreed to their 10k service as a way to start off with a clean slate here locally.

I got billed the $1800 for that, and the $800 for the PPI even though I did the service.

The PPI results turned out to be a photo copied form on which the technician checked off that he looked at items on the car.

These ranged from tire pressure to wiper blades to brake lights.

A rip off at that price, and not even a proper looking report!!!

The overall experience IMO just felt like a hustle.

I felt I was treated as a mark, and I felt that if I didn't know a little better, they would have gladly taken ALL my money that day.

6. Geoladd_328

Geoladd_328 Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Yah.

I thought the PPI report they gave me was on real cheap ass paper. I was expecting something on a Ferrari ring binder or Ferrari folder for the money they charged me - thought would get something more professional - just got copied scratches on shop form

The PPI was informative as they informed me that my car has AC upgrade to t134 and it needed a recharge. They also noticed the aftermarket Xost exhaust system which dealer forgot to mention (it's sweet btw) :) bonus

mechanically car they found was in good shape but they couldn't verify belt servicing which really pissed me off. I have invoice record from dealer so I suppose it was done (assuming invoice not faked)

They also told me my tires were old and needed replacement but they look fine to me and my car mechanic friend who I brought along to the PPI as my wingman...

Overall, it set my mind at ease that car was good mechanically but thought was overpriced and report format low class. expected more from Ferrari. Sigh...on bright side so far car running great. :)

Only advantage I can see going to Ferrari dealer is it looks good on your maintenance pedigree and might make resale easier in long run.....but I don't think I could ever part with my 328...so if I can get excellent reliable maintenance for less then I might go that way

7. brm

brm Karting

Apr 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Bruce R. Morehead
    Contact Frank at the e-mail below. Frank has done 2 major services and several minor things for me and I was always pleased with the results and the price. Frank and Ron Clark are opening a shop in the Clearwater area. They both have extensive experience and have an up to date SD3 that is needed to service your 430. I do not think you will be disappointed.

8. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    x3

Frank's a good guy and handled the service on my car for the time I had it in Tampa. Very thorough, communicative, and competent.

9. Evolve13

Evolve13 Rookie

Sep 3, 2011
    Same here!! It was a badly copied sheet with a bunch of check marks on it.

My 8 year old nephew would have filled it out more neatly.

Funny, they also told me I needed new tires even though the treads were at 70%.

I was told there was dry rotting and cracking in the tires center, on all four.

I still haven't found this cracks!!!

Shoot me an email and I'll let you know how this local shop looks when i hear from him.

10. brendon0

brendon0 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Brendon
    x4

Call Frank. He did my engine out on my 355 + much more (brake system issues
    various other items). He's honest and knows the cars well. I have never felt like
    I was getting ripped off.

The local dealer is a bunch of con artists and just talking to them gives me the creeps.
    Also don't tell them you use an independent shop to do your work = instant uninvite
    to any and all future events held by / sponsored by them.

11. Geoladd_328

Geoladd_328 Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    LOL.

8yo line too funny.

hmmmm....might need to look up this Frank one of these days when my first full servicing is looming...I have some time yet..

good too know. thx, all.