I am being told that Silver or Gray are NOT the colors to buy? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

I am being told that Silver or Gray are NOT the colors to buy?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dogdoc97, Sep 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    #51 Bradley, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
    Very good point! And you're also right that the salesman is looking at volume of cars, which has little or nothing to do with what certain individuals want.

The list of preferred colors of all new cars sold in the US in recent years doesn't correspond to Ferrari at all. Ferraris are rare, high performance cars, most of which look better in brighter colors than a typical minivan, SUV, luxury boat, economy compact, etc. Ferrari buyers, obviously, don't want a typical car - and quite a few don't even want a Ferrari in a typical color.

For what it's worth, a dealer at Ferrari of Denver told me, a few years ago, that the top-selling Ferrari colors in his recent experience, at that time, were red, black, yellow, and silver.

This says little about the re-sale value of any single given car, though. If any Ferrari was impossible to sell in a certain color, Ferrari wouldn't paint them that color.

A new Ferrari costs a lot of money, or at least a lot of money compared to most other cars. If one has the wherewithal to buy one, he should consider first and foremost, that the car is for him - not for an unknown future owner.

Spill-Chick well insure itch weird U right's spilled property.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Love it. But why does that matter?

My old Maranello, which is for sale, but not by me, was silver and lipstick red. My salesman told me it was a classic color. After I brought the car, eight years ago, the smart guys here on Ferrari Chat told me, "too bad about the color."

Bottom line? If you drive a 550, I mean really drive it, the color will not make any difference. You'll have too much going on out the front windshield to care.

The best advice I ever got about buying a Ferrari came from Tom Shaughnessy. His mantra was, and is, if you see it, buy it. Trust me, I wish I had followed his advice. Over ten years ago, there was this 250 PF coupe for $60,000. Last I heard, that same car had sold for over $250,000.

Dale

3. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Exactly.

The trouble is, nobody can predict which cars are going to appreciate so astronomically. There was a time, only a couple of decades ago, when many people who owned "real" Ferraris looked down on Dinos. If I'd told them then that 206s and 246 values would appreciate to the levels they have been in recent years, they'd have laughed at me.

Silver over red is a gorgeous combination. It's what I have on my 308, and I've never seen another one in person. I like that it's a bit unusual.

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    This was the list for sports cars. There is a slightly different list for SUV's , Full Size Sedans , Midsize and trucks.

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Tell him you will pay double his asking price for a silver/gray one and see if he still thinks it is a bad idea.

6. Jack & Jones

Jack & Jones Karting

May 9, 2006

Do you still got the original wheels, it would look much better/OEM? :)

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #57 TheMayor, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
    Again it's irrelevant. They include BMW's 2 seaters, Miata's, Porsche's and Nissan z's. You cannot make such generalities and say they apply in some way to Ferrari. It's unique to the auto market.

8. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    FWIW... red pigments are the weakest ( quickest / easiest to fade ) in the color spectrum... should we avoid buying red cars because the next purchaser will not want a faded paint job...

only thing that matters is that it pleases us, as the owner... that's what all the high dollar custom shops are about... pleasing the car owner... get what really floats your boat er... barchetta

9. rusty2010

rusty2010 Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    avon in.
    Full Name:
    rusty
    It seems the color red and Ferrari is synonymous. I have a 348 spider, red with black interior. I was told that it was less expensive than one with tan interior. WTF, can a brother get a break. My favorite just sold at Ferrari Maserati of Atlanta, a 2004 Ferrari 360 Spider, Grigio Titanio with red interior. This car looks like an stunning sculpture

10. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
    It came with the penta-star wheels which was the only thing I did not like on the car..I had the HGTE handling kit added and I really love the look of the HGTE wheels which I had painted G. Silverstone and added CF centercaps..Kevin

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #61 TheMayor, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

You are talking about cars made before 1972, aren't you? Unless you're talking about a 68 Buick with original paint, I don't think we need to worry about it.

Modern pigments are incredibly stable and clear coated for oxidation protection. I wouldn't consider "paint fade" to be an issue in choice.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    On 550's silver black or argento/nero are the most popular colors I see. I happen to have that color and it looks particularly good on the 550. White is the new hot color and I thought how terrible. But I saw it on the 458 and it really looks good. You can never go wrong with resale red but I don't think 550's look particularly stunning in red. I think the best 550 color is generic silver which is easy to sell and you never tire of, or TDF blue/tan which is probably the only color that could demand a premium. The titanium looks great but the stock silver wheels I don't like. I did Titanium on the wheels on silver car and I really like that business look. I'm not 25 lookin for chicks anymore and I don't want a car that screams Ferrari in your face.

13. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley

Yeah, and most Ferraris do look better in red than any other car. But that doesn't mean that Ferraris must be red. I actually think that the later front engined V12s - especially the 456, 550, 575, 599 and 612 - look better in deep blues, grays, and black. Just my opinion, of course.

I seem to remember a recent thread regarding which Ferraris practically have to be red (F40, 250GTO) and which look better in other colors.

308s look good in any color, although I'd personally not want one in pale blue, lime green, or brown.

14. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Have you seen the 550 in silver with your own eyes, dog????? It's one of the loveliest color on 550/575.

And the bottom line is you buy what you want to drive, not for the next guy.

15. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Are you asking me? Yes, I've seen it - and I think it looks fantastic! What I did say is that the front-engined V12s look better in colors other than RED. And I also said that it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks when one buys a car. So, no argument here. . . dog. :D

16. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, he was responding to the original poster, whose username is dogdoc97.

17. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Oh.

Hee, hee. :D

18. aschultz19

aschultz19 Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    Plain"Jane"Field, IL
    Full Name:
    Tony..........
    I am glad I ordered my car the color I wanted and not the color the next guy wanted. Grigio Titanium all the way..........

Tony.............

19. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    +1

20. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    599 still my favorite new(er) Ferrari. Thank God you got the right color! :D

21. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #71 Ed Niles, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a pic from 1966---note how many are silver and how few are red. Of course car color preferences change through the years; a moving target. IMHO, the condition is far more important than the color, as long as it isn't lime green or some such. The best advice was given earlier: Go with what you like.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    HEAVEN! Great photograph, thank you Ed.

23. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thinking about it, there is not one single Ferrari I don't like in one of the silver colors, they all look fantastic. I do however have cars I don't like in all of the other colors, rossa corsa on a 612 comes to mind.

24. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My 330 2+2 looked great in silver...perfect color for a car of large proportions and a "gentleman's Ferrari". I've seen pics of 330s in Rosso Corsa and they looked like fire trucks.

Rosso Corsa is perfect for the 308 GTS; IMO silver is too bland for this particular open 2-seater model.

25. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think it would look good with a red interior.