Underground Racing - Twin Turbo 458 Italia | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Underground Racing - Twin Turbo 458 Italia

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Trance, Aug 31, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonlevel2

jonlevel2 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jon Dubrick
    stupid question.....Would this mod void warranty?

2. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    I doubted UGR when the first came on the Viper scene, claiming to get a supercharged Viper GTS into the low 10's with just a Novi blower, no nitrous. (Back then, all of the really, really fast quarter mile Vipers ran nitrous). They had just come out of the Mustang world, and everyone thought they were FOS.

Well, I think it's obvious we were all corrected. UGR has been the real deal for at least 5 years now, and I think it's clear the quality of the work, the drivability, and the reliability of their turbo systems speak for themselves. This car probably gets better mileage than a stock 458.

BTW, did you hear it spool from the front-view as they rolled the throttle?! Wow. :) Doesn't seem at all peaky to me. Because of this, I don't actually believe it would be useless on a road course. Super flat torque curve and that many revs to play with = excellent trackability.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Geeeeezzzzzzuuuuuzzzzzzz!!! Wow!! That is incredable!! The shift speed of that thing is amazing!! Love it! More please!!

4. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    The 458 looks good in White!

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    any drivetrain related warranty is gone for the most part.

6. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    The speed is amazing but did it sound sedate compared to the regular 458?

7. Quadcammer

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    turbos generally act as a muffler and dull the sound a bit.

8. MommasBoyOnline

Jul 21, 2011
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Matt Simmons
    What now Turbo S!?

This car is PERFECT! :-D

9. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    #34 racerdj, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
    I never get tired of hearing Luca introduce the 458!

10. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    +458 :)

11. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You do realize it is utterly pointless to compare modified to stock cars. Spend the 70k or whatever it costs on the Turbo S and then see what you get, the 458 won't come out on top due to not having AWD.

12. MommasBoyOnline

Jul 21, 2011
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Matt Simmons
    Merely a joke. :)

I was complimenting both of the cars. The Turbo S is kind of a threshold for acceleration times. It's one of the best in the world, with its 2.6 second 0-60 time. For a Ferrari to match that, it needs an extra 150 horsepower from a TT. That shows the greatness of the Turbo S to do it stock, but also shows that the Ferrari can be more hellishly quick than it already is. Aside from the dragstrip, the modded Ferrari will beat a modded 911, allowing that only engine modifications were made. The cars are apples and oranges together..in the way that they're both equally good for you! ;-)

..If that makes any sense!

13. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I've never tracked a Ferrari but I have with many different Porsche models. Even the lowliest Boxster is an amazing track machine and more car than almost anyone could handle. I would be proud to drive any of them or any Ferrari in anger.

14. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    Isn't this a Ferrari site.. Who cares about pcars....it's a German Corvette. See them all the time...dime a dozen......

15. MommasBoyOnline

Jul 21, 2011
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Matt Simmons
    My old S2000 was a great trackster, for a younger guy it had all the power I needed, along with its nil to none weight. The manual shifted like a dream.

My 335is is also amazing! It's fairly new, so I haven't had too many track days. I have modded it extensively, though. It has 460ish ponies to the wheels with around 480 ft-lb available with overboost. (Any BMW guy knows how far little mods go with the N54)

I've never tracked a P or F car, but, from studying editorials, examining lap times, and working my calculator a little, it's easy to conclude that a mid-engined Ferrari can beat a rear-engined Porsche, this is a staple in racing. But, the weight over the rear wheels gives traction in acceleration. It's kind of comparable to how a Sprinter will lower his weight downward, then surge forward at the siind of the starter pistol.

If Porsche would put the Turbo S engine in a Cayman R, then everybody would be in some trouble..including the 911. The Cayman would be the front runner while the 911 could only pick up nostalgia sales.

Anybody who tracks their car, will find at least a few ways to love it dearly. :)

16. MommasBoyOnline

Jul 21, 2011
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Matt Simmons
    An enthusiast should respect all performence cars! Who cares about brand, if it's fast, looks good, drives nice, and comfortable; it deserves respect! You don't have to buy it, but you don't have to just hate it because you choose to like 1 brand in particular.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't pay 300gs just for the sake of being a brand nazi who likes to be different!

17. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The Cayman R was just one of those models I've tracked, just perfect on the track and you could tell the chassis could handle the extra power.

18. MommasBoyOnline

Jul 21, 2011
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Matt Simmons
    Lucky guy. It seems like such a great driver's car. Looks great too, especially in red. I'm waiting for someone to go ahead and drop the Turbo S engine in already! Gotta see the specs on that with the PDK!

19. Quadcammer

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    May want to take a look at their racing histories. Porsche has been kicking ferrari's ass on tracks all over the world for decades.

one thing you don't want to mess with is Porsche's racing history.

20. MommasBoyOnline

Jul 21, 2011
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Matt Simmons
    I'm not talking pro racing. I'm talking about production car vs production car. A 458 will smash a Turbo S all day.

21. Quadcammer

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    you sure? you won't be able to tell that with your calculators and spreadsheets.

22. MommasBoyOnline

Jul 21, 2011
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Matt Simmons
  23. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Underground Racing never ceases to amaze me :)

24. Weiss458

Weiss458 Rookie

Aug 31, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Full Name:
    David Weiss
    what a work of art. I cant imagine what a stage 2 or 3 are pushing...

25. MommasBoyOnline

Jul 21, 2011
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Matt Simmons
    Well their F430 got 1000! ;-)