RPM FACE COLOR CHANGES--the whole process--LOTS of pics | Page 5 | FerrariChat

RPM FACE COLOR CHANGES--the whole process--LOTS of pics

Discussion in '360/430' started by brokenarrow, Nov 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    #101 spiderscott, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #102 360trev, Feb 21, 2011
    Looks excellent Scott but may I suggest you look into the EL panel mod too, so the entire rev counter gets illuminated.

The electroluminescent panel (backlight which Ferrari used instead of conventional bulbs) that fits behind the Yellow dial plastic covers is cut slightly different on the Strad. The shape of the light cut out is different so you get a bit of an annoying shadow when illuminated which is shown on your pictures (not a problem, it doesn't stop you seeing anything you need to but just doesn't look 'perfect').

You can actually buy an A4 piece of electroluminescent panel from ebay like beow;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EL-Lamp-electr...item35aff2f1b2

Here's a cheaper alternative (check the size fits the width of the clocks mind before ordering!)
    http://www.rapidonline.com/Electroni...ource=googleps

Another good source of info on EL panels...

http://electroluminescence-inc.com/customPattern.htm

... And then simply cut out the panel to shape so it fit behind the dials to get full backlight working with the yellow dials. Otherwise you get some of the lighting missing if you retain the original 360 one. I've attached pictures to illustrate the problem

The solution above is also a cheap alternative way to fix failed back lighting on the standard 360 clocks too.

Very annoyingly Ferrari (tut tut... ) do not sell the back light panel seperately to the clocks themselves so you cannot buy just a CS backlight panel or for that matter a 360 Modena panel, you have to buy a complete dashboard clocks. This is unnacceptable really, very frustraiting and thankfully you can at least DIY fix it now !

You can also choose different colors these days too so perhaps blue could look cool instead of the boring and now rather dated green. ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    yer agreed Trev need to update the backing light panel .... just measured the dash fce its roughly 360 mm x 170mm so im guessing im gonna need a sheet of the Electroluminescent around that size .... im on the hunt for one at a decent price :O)

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You can also check with FAI in California and see if they can just get a CS lighting panel for you. They stock most of the lighting panels for the 360/CS/575/F430/Strad/16M instrument panels and also provide a repair service for those panels. That way you know it will work.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

Franchorchamps of America, Inc.
    935 Sunset Dr Suite A
    Costa Mesa, CA 92627
    (949) 631-6373

Rod Drew
    [email protected]

Will White
    http://www.ferrarioc.com/

5. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    + 1

6. ParkCity360Spider

Sep 20, 2010
    Park City, Ut
    Full Name:
    Tim M
    Great pics and details. You're a great asset to this site. BTW, the Yellow looks great.

7. burner42

burner42 Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Myles
    I want to do this to my 360 dash... I think the yellow looks killer! Thanks for posting!

8. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #108 Ky1e, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks for the tips and for posting the details. Just installed as per your post (Ricambi Yellow Tach). Only tips I'd add are:

1. Do remove both upper and lower steering column shrouds as you suggested but take your time and be careful.-- the top section has long plastic tubes that receive the screws from the bottom piece and they break easily.

2. After you remove the top steering column shroud, put a cloth or towel over the bare column -- there are two metal tabs and they WILL scratch the silver paint of the dash face plate when you lay the dash down onto the steering column.

3. Use the steering column tilt (up and down as well as telescope out and in) to help you gain access and make room where you need it.

4. To help get the harnesses off, wedge a flat tip screw driver at the bottom of the harness and (gently) pry it up to get it started.

Took 2 hours. It was my first go at dismantling/tinkering with the 360. Anyone can do it, just take your time.

Thanks again for the post, it made my project possible.

9. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    hello guys where do i can buy the rpm face here in usa ,i like the one thats looks just like the cs , thankyou

10. hmfic1

hmfic1 Karting

Aug 15, 2011
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #110 hmfic1, Sep 1, 2011
  11. hmfic1

hmfic1 Karting

Aug 15, 2011
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #111 hmfic1, Sep 1, 2011
  12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

13. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Where did you get your gauge face? It looks like factory with the correct matching font style for the 360 numerals.

14. hmfic1

hmfic1 Karting

Aug 15, 2011
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    There are CS style faces, from Ricambi, as I remember.

15. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    hello i just talk to ricambi and they told me that they dont sale the one with the horse, they have the yellow without the horse

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Correct. The horse is trademarked so no one is selling with the horse because Ferrari would decent upon them.

17. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    so that means that all have to buy the one without the horse?there no more options in the market

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes and no. I bought one without the cavalino but had a printer do an ink transfer to add it to my dial. There are otions but nothing pre-rolled that is an exact match.

19. OceanSide760

OceanSide760 Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    please let me know where you get the horse (decal)?

I am planning to get it from Ricambi but I want to horse, thanks!

20. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Prosport sells the one with the horse

21. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    correct thanks prosport haa the one with thehorse

22. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #122 Ky1e, Sep 3, 2011
    Here's mine I installed as per this threads great instructions. Exc mod-- I thoroughly enjoy it. Its something I (the driver) looks at all the time so to me it's a great mod. Goes great with the yellow cap on the steering wheel. Speaking of that... with the hose on the steering wheel one could make the argument that a horse on the tach as well is a bit overkill anyways... so to me the Ricambi one not having a horse was not an issue at all.

23. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Does anyone have a link to Craig's post of how to initially get the console out? He mentions Craig but I don't see a link to the post.

24. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
  25. samba-lee

samba-lee Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Lee Griffiths