Question from a younglin | FerrariChat

Question from a younglin

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by JFinne16, Sep 6, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JFinne16

JFinne16 Rookie

Sep 5, 2009
    I'm a 20 year old college student majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I absolutely love it. Being a full time student I only have time to work part-time during the school year and I get to work full time during the summer. Currently I have about 10k saved up from work. I'm planning on saving about half of my money from the remaining school and next summer and thinking about the idea of tracking a car. This is where my questions start.

As a 20 year old is this a stupid idea? I have loans for college. I for part of them monthly and so do my parents. I will leave for Air National Guard basic training next summer and then onto technical training. I will be paid for that and other than attending drill each month I'll also have a full time job.

Would it be a better idea to go to those schools that cost loads of money and learn from there? I've driven on tracks before and loved it. I've only driven little miata track cars but loved it.

If it were do-able what car for under 10k would be a good idea? I understand you have to pay for tires,brakes,gas etc but it would be a once a weekend thing at max. Worth it? Are there better options?

2. kppolo

kppolo Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    If I were in your shoes I would buy a lightly used clutch kart (NOT a shifter kart) and find somewhere to race it. I would look for whatever kart is popular where you would like to run and go from there, try to find a class with a lot of entries so you can have some competitive fun.
    You will develop driver skill and race craft with a kart that will translate to full size cars if you ever decide to make the jump. Also, your initial costs, running costs, tire and fuel expense, and potential costs from hitting something solid will be a fraction of the price of running even a cheap race car. You do not mention where you live so that may be a factor, but I know I have at least 4 acceptable tracks to run a kart within 60 miles of my house so that is a plus as well.

3. JFinne16

JFinne16 Rookie

Sep 5, 2009
    I go to school in Las Vegas but am from right outside Chicago. There are a few tracks here in Vegas and a few in Chicago. Also, I go with a friend on vacation every summer to Shawano and ride his family's shifter karts. I guess I never considered karts but they'd be a good cheap alternative.

Do you know any good brands of clutch karts to look at or websites??

Thanks for the reply.

4. kppolo

kppolo Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Instead of pointing you to a specific class or motor choice I suggest that you find a track that is local to you and go visit a race weekend. Most tracks are in the middle of their race seasons so events should be common. I would see what other people are racing and look for a kart class with a lot of participants. Engine and chassis combinations vary wildly by region and you would have a better time choosing something that already has a large field than running around by yourself because you picked the wrong motor or class. I have found a good bit of info on the forums "karting.4cycle.com" but their are many more out there.

5. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    +1 on the clutch kart (aka sprint/enduro kart) idea, but I would recommend that you rent your equipment for now instead of purchasing. Why? A decent clutch kart with a fresh motor is going to set you back anywhere from $2K-$3K. Plus, you'll need a starter, tires, sprockets, etc. So, you've got this sunk cost investment sucking up your money before you've even turned a single wheel on the track.

On the other hand, if you start karting by renting, every dollar spent goes toward learning and track time. Make sense?

Good luck!!

6. JFinne16

JFinne16 Rookie

Sep 5, 2009
    Ok, I appreciate the help. I'll read into it forever like I always do and come back if I have any questions you or other f-chatters might know about. Thanks.

7. JFinne16

JFinne16 Rookie

Sep 5, 2009
    Makes perfect sense. I've already found some cool tracks in my area that I'll check out over the weekend. Thanks!

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Dude as an ME does your school have FSAE? It is not racing but auto-x but the cool thing is you can learn so much on someone else's nickel. You can take FSAE anywhere from learning to TIG weld your chassis to telemetry on your adjustable shocks. You would be miles ahead of any racer if you had the technical ability to "develop" your car. As an ME if you have the inquisitive engineer mind thats where you need to be. You will be miles ahead if you can focus your talent with technical ability too. If you don't do FSAE then I'm with the otehr poster who talked about the Rotex karts. There are cheap and fun to develop some basic skills.

9. JFinne16

JFinne16 Rookie

Sep 5, 2009
    No we don't which really sucks :( But we participate in the Baja(BSAE) West competition and we're building a new car this year. This will be my first year involved in it. Btw, I know a lot of people on this board know, but some don't. The engineering that company's like Ferrari Porsche Mclaren and even Corvette put into their cars is unbelievable. We've come a long way.

10. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Agreed on karting, agreed on renting equipment first before investing. In SW Michigan is Michiana Raceway Park with an excellent kart school, not too far from Chicago and affordable.

Agreed on FSAE or any collegiate SAE programs and competitions, invaluable experience and will significantly help during job searches and internships.

Best,
    Rob

11. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    vs. spending that money tracking a car, school is the best value you can get. vs. a kart, it's harder to say.

If I had $4k I'd spend $3k on driving school. Skip Barber doesn't look long for this world so I'd jump on it.

12. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    It sounds like you attend UNLV. Is Dr. O'Toole still the SAE advisor?

13. NWaterfall

NWaterfall Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
    Shawano is easily the most fun kart track in the world!! You are fortunate to have driven there!

Talk to Curtis or any of his associates at Acceleration Karting in Vegas. He'll get you taken care of. 702-740-5868

Also make sure to find yourself at The Rio November 16-20 for the SKUSA Supernats!