13 exotics confiscated | FerrariChat

13 exotics confiscated

Discussion in 'Canada' started by crazy canuck, Sep 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    #1 crazy canuck, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
    *****WATCH OUT GUYS -- GOVERNMENT REVENUES ARE DOWN -- AND THE TAX COLLECTORS ARE OUT IN FORCE *********

http://m.ctv.ca/bc/20110901/bc_young_drivers_racing_cars_110901.html#menu

Mounties say 13 young drivers, all under the age of 21, were caught zooming through Metro Vancouver in luxury cars Wednesday at speeds of up to 200 kilometres per hour.

The cars – which included Ferraris, Maseratis, Lamborghinis, Mercedes, Aston Martins and Audis – were reported speeding southbound on Highway 99 from the Massey Tunnel at around 3:30 p.m.

"These drivers seemed to be looking for attention," Cpl. Holly Marks said in a statement. "Well, they definitely got the attention of police."

Officers were able to stop six of the vehicles in Surrey, while the other seven were located and stopped a short distance away in White Rock. All 13 vehicles were seized.

Few of the drivers possess a full Class 5 license, police say, and one of the vehicles had less than 200 kilometres on the odometer.

Each driver is being charged with driving without due consideration and will receive a $196 ticket. They will also have to pay towing and storage charges.

The cars, estimated to be worth more than $2-million collectively, will be impounded for seven days.

Two luxury vehicles were impounded last November after allegedly being driven 200 kilometres per hour on North Vancouver's Mount Seymour Parkway. The cars were eventually seized by B.C.'s Civil Forfeiture Office.

The Ferrari Scuderia and BMW M6 had a combined value of $310,000, representing the largest forfeiture in the province's history at the time. The office's mandate is to deter illegal activity by appropriating cash and assets associated with it.

There is no word yet on whether the province has an eye on the 13 vehicles seized on Wednesday.

Anyone who witnessed the alleged speeding is asked to contact police.

2. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    WHat ever happened to inncocent until proven guilty -- even the headlines have these guys convicted before any day in court -- No mention of it being "alleged" speeding-- they just call it racing outright.

You never see the media to try that with any other allegation..it's always "alleged bank robber" even when the guy still has the balaclava half on and smoke emanating from his sawed off shotgun in one hand, and a bag of stolen money in the other.

WTF ?

http://www.driving.ca/vancouversun/sports+cars+valued+million+impounded+after+Surrey+highway+race/5340015/story.html?tab=PHOT

3. Strictly Stuttgart

BANNED

Jul 18, 2011
    #3 Strictly Stuttgart, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
    mmmmm $196 is a Bargin... i had to pay way more when i had mine impounded 2 years ago...

4. VorteC

VorteC Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2009
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Elan
    Speeding/racing is strict/absolute liability no? So you immediately pay the consequences and then have your trial after.

Lol, no sympathy for you there.

5. Strictly Stuttgart

BANNED

Jul 18, 2011
    lol dont worry the Cop got it way worse than me. My case was thrown out due to False Evidence...

6. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    I'm purely basing my opinion on what little facts are available online.

I have no doubt in my mind that these cars were driven by amateur "kids with money" who were messing around with no regard or respect for others' safety or property. However, I do question the fact as to whether or not police can actually confiscate cars based on hearsay (i.e. 911 calls, then catching up to cars driving "rather erratically"). I'm sure they had enough evidence to charge them with reckless driving, speeding, etc, but confiscating all 13 cars? Really?

It looked to me like a textbook case of profiling.

7. VorteC

VorteC Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2009
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Elan
    They DIDN'T have enough evidence to charge them with reckless driving or speeding, that's why they were only slapped with a $196 fine for "driving without due care for public". Witness reports probably aren't enough to issue reckless driving and speeding charges. Also, the cars weren't confiscated, they were just impounded I believe and they will get them back.

8. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    Having a car impounded is still a huge hassle, and we all know that if 13 Toyota Corollas or Honda Civics had been called in by witnesses doing this, they wouldn't have been impounded.

9. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    True.

10. MD911

MD911 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    I can't imagine how much of a hassle it would be to be behind a Honda Civic and a Toyota Corolla drag racing....it'd take the entire afternoon. ;)

11. VorteC

VorteC Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2009
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Elan
    ROFL. During the interview the police said that they are holding onto the cars "until they gather enough evidence to lay down charges" while having a smirk on their face.

12. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    This post just made my day. :D

13. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    LMAO!!

Hillarious!!!

14. gus355

gus355 Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2011
    B.C. and WA
    It scares me to think I could be in the wrong place at the wrong time - I mean what if I was in the area and didn't even know of the incident and a cop pulls me over thinking I was involved - impounded for no reason???

15. D-360Ag

D-360Ag Rookie

May 30, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    ...considering you probably weren't one of their friends, under 20, and identified by other motorists as being involved, I suspect you wouldn't be at risk. That section of the hiway is usually very busy, and well patrolled. They were being idiots. You probably wouldn't have been.
    With cell phone cameras so prevelant, I expect ANY vehicle being driven improperly is at risk.
    And yes, the police do have an obligation to take multiple identical complaints seriously.
    It's one thing to play on a blank section of hiway, it's quite another to impede traffic just to create some free space for your races.
    100% in support of the action the officers took.

16. IAmAChild

IAmAChild Rookie

Mar 14, 2011
    This is actually a SERIOUS problem, which in British Columbia, has pushed our insurance rates through the roof !!

Young, inexperienced, new drivers with high-end sports cars have reeked havoc and created nothing but problems for the rest of us.

For example, at my son's high school, two 15-year old kids with Lambo's and a third with an F430 were suspended because they drove to school in their cars knowing full well that they're not even old enough to be driving !!

Hey --- I love my car as much as the next guy and, of course, it's awesome to open her up from time to time and let her breathe. But, I also think there's a clearly delineated line between experienced drivers who open up their cars for a few minutes and inexperienced kids who block traffic behind them in order to orchestrate high-speed racing on the freeway.

Unfortunately, as owners of exotics, you and I will continue to pay the price for their antics.

17. MD911

MD911 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    I wonder if the 13 cars 'identified' by other motorists were identified by their plates or was it a generic colour and make sort of ID?

18. Strictly Stuttgart

BANNED

Jul 18, 2011
    i vote for Deportation... but then again, if it wernt for them no $$$$$$$$$$$$$ would be coming in...

19. CrazyEnzo

CrazyEnzo Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2006
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #19 CrazyEnzo, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
    You ain't deporting anyone as these are local kids from one of the most prestigious high schools around... anyone take a guess? males? pays 13k for their high school education... and flashes their beauties as soon as they graduate and enter university...

Zero cars are under names, all parents on title. lol... parents response... w/e...

"Car not fast enough... buy another one"

Lack a respect, lack of tolerance is what happened here.

I don't care if you can afford it nor do I care about them driving it, but trying to show how "cool" they look is so laughable. They seriously think they are all that. Big wooop, nothing to be proud of when they will be living off their parents for the rest of their lives.

... How I know? I know these stupid idiots personally. Good kids, but seriously "first-class *d*ots all the way!!!"

Harsher punishments need to be made for new-licence drivers. More than just a short suspension.

20. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    13K for high school sound steep? I can name at least two prestigious schools here in Toronto (one's in Oakville, the other's in Forest Hill) that charge at least $50K tuition per year for high school. In fact, an FChatter here who's a good buddy of mine teaches at one of them. No names though.

It's actually ridiculous how much these people pay just to have a high school diploma from a "well-known school". I paid $5,000/year for my undergraduate education and that's at one of the top universities in the country.

21. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    If they are classified as non-residents then the fees go up. Even universities do that, in most countries.

22. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #22 DenisC, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
    Still our governement subcidized education ( note no complaint here) makes still affordable for the serious student. A friend of mine from NY has his daughter studying medicine at McGill ; his cost including tuition as a foreign student, room & board, food, travel, is still cheaper that having her study at a local college.

Canada is so lax, many now have dual citzenships (remember last August, Manila bus blast, 2 canadian students and their mother all had dual citizenships, but father was from HongKong)

Police and imigration can't profile by age, race sex or ethinicity. Yet journalist have no problem citing all 'exotics'. In most cases it's the 1% that ruin it for the rest

my 2 cents.

23. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    I have dual citizenship, is that bad? :) We became Canadian citizens because this is where we settled.

Bad people are bad people, citizenship is irrelevant, except if it helps to extradite them.

It's also nice to hear that not everything is better or less expensive in the US :)

Gerrit

24. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Nothing wrong with the dual citizenship, I just hate it when it is used either as a shield, in an economic sense (come here become a resident thenget for medical treatment/surgery or do their studies and leave) , or avoid a foreign governement legal pursuit or for political reasons ; The Goverment got wise to the 50.000 Lebanese/Canadians that were returned to Canada at the governement expense in 2006. Whereas they billed the Canadian/Egyptians in January and flew them to Paris/London or Frankfurt. And finally thye have made a list of some undesirables.

I beleive 99% of new Canadians come here for a better life, again it's those 1% that screw it up, cry discrimination, hide and take advantage of our beutiful country. Most of the 1st & second gen Canadians I know would never go back to their former homeland, yet again some will go to parliament hill, do sit ins and complain, heck go or write to the embassy or forget about it!

25. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast