Road Debris Phobia ?Do I need a head job? | FerrariChat

Road Debris Phobia ?Do I need a head job?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Geoladd_328, Sep 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Geoladd_328

Geoladd_328 Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Other day, I was on the highway in my daily driver when a truck flung up a piece of road debris which bounced from car to car (my car included).

At first, I thought I got lucky with just a couple scratched to the paint but while washing my car today I discovered significant (if relatively minor) damage to driver side door panel and chrome trim - deep ding to chrome trim, lots deep scratches to paint. Anyways, its just my daily driver so not that upset about it.

Been thinking tho', that if it had been my 328 that this would not be the case. I think it would have driven me temporaily insane BOTH from the wound to my Italian Lady's spirit and from contemplating the thousands (and thousands) of dollars it would have cost me to repair.

Also (not that I am ever planning to do this) but if I ever sold the car my sense of honor would require me to disclose this repair job details to the prospective buyer and would drive the price down.

I am now afraid to take her on the highway.

Is this normal? Am I crazy? Should I seek professional help or self-medicate myself?

I have already read the thread entitled "My Ferrari has ruined my Life" SIgh. The truth hurts.

;)

2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    you are crazy and it's normal during the first few months :)

But without kidding; our cars 308 / 328 are not precious to such an extent, but great fun machines. Therefore they don't deserve being garage queens.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

3. shawxhurst

shawxhurst Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve Hawxhurst
    I recommend self medication! I do think you're overreacting. Most Ferraris have stone chips here and there from debris. Usually not difficult or super expensive to touch up. This should not influence the value of the car much. Just say "of course it's been touched up here and there". Its expected. The problem is, if you're afraid to drive it on the freeway you're just one step away from being afraid to drive it at all. As someone here quotes: "Buy a nice painting"!

4. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    and one of the best ways for self medication is: Enter it and drive the hell out of it.
    Somehow I just can't believe what I am reading here :)
    After all, it's just a car.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

5. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    In Italy, it is the stone chipping that's kept as a matter of honour!

6. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    #6 dbdreams, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
    I don't have a Ferrari but when I was racing motocross each year I would get a new bike and it was always so cool all shined up and gleaming with perfection, unmolested and flawless before the first ride. So the first ride if you are lucky it just got dirty and you are able to keep it in top condition but the ride was not as fun as the rides you had on last years bike because in the back of your mind at least on some leavel you aren't really riding to your full potential for fear you might cause some sor of damage. Sooner or later though, if you ride dirt bikes you know you will crash, lay it over or take an unespected dismount, and when this finally happens you can finally ride it the way you bought it to ride it. At this point after that first scratch, broken brake/clutch lever tip or whatever happened you finally enjoy yourself becuase you won't be so worried about another scratch or blemish.

I assume a similar situation when you get your first stone chip or maybe even door ding you won't like it but from that point you won't worry so much about blemishing the fine example of Italian automotive artwork and then truly enjoy what Enzo meant it for, driving!

7. DWPC

DWPC Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2011
    Sedona AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Sh*t happens. Don't obsess. This is why we buy insurance.

Ten years ago, a flying rock kicked up by a truck did $2000 damage to my brand new Audi 2.7T when I was driving it home after taking delivery at the dealer.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yes, I ran over the frozen carcass of a dead deer because some guy would not move over and let me avoid it!! destroyed the spoiler, radiator, fan etc...

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #9 308 GTB, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thank YOU! Nice to see a Ferrari that actually gets driven and looks like my '99 911 did after 7 years of daily driving + occasional weekends at Lime Rock.

11. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    You are phobic about driving, I'm so about parking. And my fears have grown with age, not been ameliorated. There are crazies out there so best to find roads with light traffic and drive faster than the rest.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have a dent on my hood and fender from an 18 wheeler lug bolt, it richocheted off the wiper arm, instead of crashing thru the windshield into my face.

I'll fix the paint someday, but I think the wiper arm is going to stay.....you can count the thread pitch of the bolt, in the depression.

13. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    I picture you turning on the wipers, pinball machine style, and whipping it back at the truck.

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #14 Bullfighter, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
    Barry, looks like you got 6 new chips since the last pic.

EDIT: 5 new chips, sorry.

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    1. Don't tailgate - give yourself room to manoeuvre when those tire scraps appear.
    2. Put some kind of protective film over your front driving lamps if you do much freeway driving. The real ones are expensive and originals are hard to find.
    3. It's just metal and paint. It can be fixed.
    4. Read some of MalcolmB's posts over in the vintage section. The guy lives in San Diego and has put tens of thousands of miles on his 275 GTB and Daytona, rebuilt them at least once, etc. He's one of my automotive heroes.

16. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    Hey Barry! If that's your car, what happened to the Plate Clip (LOL!)?

17. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #17 308 GTB, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think you were right the first time, Jon. :D

Anyway, that's what the previous owner collected in 59,000 miles. The front was resprayed before I bought the car. In the 9,000 miles I've driven it, I'm collecting my own. Some are bugs and some are chips.

Some bugs, at 150 MPH on the track, can do the same thing as pebbles on the highway...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Bob, I take the Plate Clip off on track days. It produces too much drag. :D

Barry

19. 308 GTB