Its clips like this that hurts this cars | FerrariChat

Its clips like this that hurts this cars

Discussion in '308/328' started by MS250, Sep 13, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Delorean had a lot of innovations, but outright SPEED was never one of them! LOL!

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    No matter, really. History records that these were supercars of their era. I doubt that their challengers will be remembered 35 years hence.

4. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    #4 dbdreams, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
    The Ferrari got the jump but who's to say that guy driving can really drive a stick. Did he shift at the proper power points? I am sure the Camry was probably an automatic so not much to do after the start.

Anyways I am sure Camry owners all over the world would gladly trade pink slips for the Ferrari 308 GTS QV assuming they chose based on what they want and not what they need.

5. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Speed is relative, and for that era, those were considered pretty quick.

For reference, a couple of years ago, a new Acura sedan slowly pulled away from my Boxer from a light leading onto a two-lane on-ramp. Irritating, but all a matter of perspective, and advancing technology.

Only a hundred or so years ago, people thought you could burst into flame if you went too much faster than a horse could run.

6. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    No doubt!

7. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    The more important test would have been the 308 vs. the Delorian.

8. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Which driver had the s**t eating grin on his face for 2 days afterward when he found out he would be driving the 308?

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As I said in the other thread, why not compare or race with the same year?

10. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Yes but which one would you rather have in the garage? I'm only worried that the 308 didn't get too beaten up in this dumb challenge. Is it for sale by the way?

Ace

11. star4747

star4747 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Midwest - USA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    That would be me with the s**t eating grin.... Happens every time I take my 308 out :)
    Maybe I should test drive a Camry and see if I get the same results?

12. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    It would have been better if they had compared a Euro QV against that Camry. It would have totally smoked it. The 308 isn't at fault here, the US lawmakers are.

That said, modern cars are pretty amazing.

The DeLorean should have had a real engine from the start, it could have been a great car.

13. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    why even bother talking about it. Who TF is interested in this kind of info?

for the money in my f's i could have bought a much, much quicker car. I didn't.
    I didn't buy the F for the speed but because i love it for it's beauty.
    How many current youngsters will have a poster of a camry on their bedroom wall?

The comparisons, and discussions, are always based on performance. Only because that's simple to measure and compare.

When it comes to beauty there is no scale. But if there was, the 308 would be on page one, top 10. The camry on the other hand would probably be on a page well past 100 of that list.

14. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Our Ferraris will be remembered forever (at least until the Apocalypse, when all we really want is BRAINS!!!).

15. sumlin

sumlin Karting

Jan 12, 2009
    As someone who is yet to be able to afford the glassfibre 308 GTB of his childhood dreams I say trash talk these cars as much as possible then at least the prices stay low...

16. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    +1

17. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #17 DGS, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
    I've always said that, on paper, the Camry is actually a pretty good family sedan.
    The 2010 SE model cranks 179 HP to a six speed slushbox.

It's just odd that people on four continents are complaining about Camry drivers blocking the roads.

It's like Camry owners resent having to give up their Supras, and are taking it out on everyone else on the roads. ;)

So not does the 308 driver wind up smiling, but the Camry driver ends up grumpy. :p
    (After all: messing up someone else's day doesn't really make your's any better, despite popular opinion.)

But in the "class warfare" world, you're going to continue to see such fabricated "sour grapes" for the herdbeasts.
    You'll notice that they never mention that you can get a good used 308 for the price of a Camry. ;)

People don't *want* to hear that they *could* own a Ferrari. They want to think that "real people" can never own one.
    That's easier for people to accept than reasons like needing room for the family .... or not wanting to put forth the effort to really *drive* a car.

So they zombie out on the cell phone behind the wheel of their commuter appliance, telling themselves that they can't possibly afford a Ferrari, and "they're not so great, anyway".

18. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Having owned 2 308's --- some 308 owners need a thicker skin.

The car IS slow by today's standards. Face it. It is.

So freaking what!!!!!

Geez who cares??? The car is a blast to drive and looks great even today. That's all that matters. And, I think that's the point of this bit.

Trying to make excuses for what it's real stats are is like sticking a sock down your pants.

It's a great car, as are most classics -- but not for modern speed or conveniences. Enjoy it for what is and race the kid down the block with your wife's Camry.

BTW: The Delorean always was a POS. They were right about that.

20. Tim Wells

Tim Wells Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Full Name:
    Tim Wells
    #20 Tim Wells, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
    I know I'd trade a million times over even at half the speed. There is nothing on four wheels sexier than that Ferrari; nothing! Not even a Camry with a couple of naked ladies spread accross the hood...

Besides, the 308 wasn't designed to be a drag racer, they were made to haul ass around the twists and turns of the Alps all the while staying on the road; try that in a Camry.

21. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The speed thing is not what scares people away from "Classic' (used) Ferraris- it's the perception of high maintenance costs.

Now of course the perception is actually reasonable compared with the reality- My dad said, when he found out I bought a 308 some years ago..." Geez I bet a tuneup costs like a thousand bucks on one of those!"... if only...

A friend of mine was going over the details of a $23,000 repair bill on his TR- and it all actually seemed reasonable to me... that's when you know you're officially a "Ferrari guy".

22. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I would like to point out that the guy driving the DeLorean proudly announced that he hit "top speed, 85 miles per hour!" before they put up some time-travel graphics. :eek:

Everyone knows that you don't see "some serious ****" (to quote Dr. Emmett Brown) until you reach 88 miles per hour. ;)

What a dork. :rolleyes:

All the best,
    Andrew.

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It is what it is.

24. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Just different cars from a different time. Why not compare a 70's Ferrari 312 T4 with specs of 0-60 in 2.3s / 0-120 in 5.5s. Also, the Camry would be too exciting at 130, can you say, "scared to death!"

And lastly, I love the point about fill the Camry with Sports Illustrated models, and the Ferrari is still sexier!

25. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    The comparisons of old to new are a total waste of time. You can see how desperate these guys are to make their TV show interesting that they have to come up with something like this. Pathetic.

Of course most modern cars will beat 40 year old technology in a stop light 0-60 or even 1/4 mile race. First off, the 308 was never designed for drag strip racing. It's a road race based technology. I dare say that if you took the 308 and the Camry out to virtually any road course track, the 308 would run away from the Camry. But what does that prove? Nothing.

Clearly, comparing old cars to new makes no sense. New technology will win over old any day of the week. So what? It may make for an interesting TV show for some folks, but in terms of proving anything, it's mean absolutely nothing. On the other hand, it was fun seeing a 308 out there being driven. And the DeLorean too.

p.s. Talk about underpowered cars, even for their time -- I think the DeLorean was the all-time winner. Hot looking car with a lawn mower engine. OOFAAH!! Not since the Kaiser Darren have we seen such an incredible mis-match in styling and performance.