Button better than given credit for | FerrariChat

Button better than given credit for

Discussion in 'F1' started by moretti, Sep 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I must say that Jensen has performed way better at McLunken alongside golden child than most people would have thought.

Hambone seemed to have the entire team to himself so if anyone turns up they are #2, but JB has driven way better than most would have expected against LH and I think is the better and more mature driver.

JB drives smoother, doesn't crash into people, drives the car more consistently and is playing the "long" game.

You also notice that JB doesn't get caught up in any controversy that is caused by him getting a penalty.

I loved the fact he KNEW it was the car that got him the WDC and was humble about the fact.

2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I think there are about 16-18 drivers on the grid that are better than people think.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

JB is a winner. Period. He makes a team work no matter the situation and is a gifted driver. Id love to see him in Ferrari red but that is not in the cards. Im a big fan.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Fixed ;).

Easy to be a one race wonder, and easy to pick up a WDC when the car is super awesome, but it is another thing backing it up with consistent performances. I also thought Button was not the real deal, but in the end he is making the most of the machine that he has been given and doing a top job. LH is still driving like a rookie and is in F1 for the entertainment value only ... such a pity because there IS real raw talent there.
    Pete

5. lmunz22

lmunz22 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    JB is the perfect second driver, owing to his consistency and smooth driving style. He'd be great at Ferrari. He was brought into McLaren with the purpose of being second to Lewis, but it's all down to Lewis' reckless driving and strategy luck that he is turning into an equal player.

6. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    IMO Jenson this year is better then Hamilton. He may not be faster than Hamilton in qualifying but he makes it up in the race. If he drove as hard as Hamiltion in qualifying, I am sure he would be a litte faster than him. Overall, he is one of my favorites, never *****es or whines. Very classy and humble guy.

7. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    classic british driver in the vein of graham hill or stirling moss.

8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Yup. He is one of the better #2 drivers out there.

JB>Massa
    JB>Webber

9. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Very simple equation really Jenson Button = Good quality driver, smooth, thinks things through, never complains, excellent team mate, works well with engineers. Lewis Hamilton= good natural talent, poor judgement, immature, never thinks things through, throws away races/championships, more concerned with who's in his entourage in the garage, rather than learning with his engineers. Ad them both together and should have Jenson as #1 and Lewis as #2.....funny how math works out....

10. Savoy6

Savoy6 Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2007
    Lago Vista, Tx
    Full Name:
    John
    yeah but f1 is entertainment. hamilton and kobayashi are by far the most entertaining to watch. i agree button is not really give credit for his racecraft but booring.

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I disagree, I still think Hamilton is in the top 3 drivers along with Alonso and Vettel. I also think that he will outpoint Button by the end of the year. He has done some dumb things on track this year but that tends to happen when he knows he has to race on the edge to have any prayer of sticking it to the Bulls.

12. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I think JB is actually a "complete" driver in the sense that he is consistent, smart, competitive and politically correct. He may not be the fastest ever but he definitely has the qualities that make him an excellent all around driver. Like many people I believed his championship year was ONLY the car but in hindsight I believe he actually had something to do with his destiny. I think Mclaren would be smart to extend his contract and JB would be smart to see out his career at Mclaren if given the opportunity.

13. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    He's had a few good races, but i still don't think he's on the same level as lewis, alonso, or vettel. He's been out qualified by his team mate nearly every race.

14. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    apart from Monaco and Hungary I don't think qualifying is as important as good racecraft, and Jenson has more than Hamilton at McLaren.

Jenson is no #2 and will prove this by the end of the year, he is doing what I would have hoped Webber could do as I believe Jenson is in the same "team" predicament as Webber , ie, the "team" support Mr #1 LH/SB, and Webber/Button have to try and overcome that obstacle ....... Webber nearly did it last year but Jenson IS doing it currently in McLaren

15. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Like I said earlier, if Jenson pushed as hard as Hamilton in qualifying, than I think he would be just as fast or even faster than Lewis. But Jenson is smart and realizes that tire startegy is really important this year. I think right now, Jenson is better than Hamilton.

16. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    One other comment I might add about Jenson is that he avoids the drama both on and off the track. Rarely do you see him involved in any kind of incident whether it's whining about being #2 at the team, his team mate receiving preferential treatment, his car not doing this or that, etc. He doesn't complain. He just drives and avoids conflict across the board. Conversely - Webber - with similar experience, tenure and circumstances seems to always be involved in some kind of controversy or caught making some kind of comment involving his team. I have respect for JB now which I didn't have before.

17. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    And as we speak, JB is 3rd in points and LH is 5th.

Jimmy

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If I were a team manager and had to choose between JB and LH, no question: Button.

19. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Jensen rarely gets into incidences where he takes himself out of the race, he's smooth and steady. He is a racer as well, as he overtakes when he has to but doesn't force moves that aren't there. One thing that is different between him and Hamilton is that when something goes wrong he doesn't blame the team. He has missed out on a few podiums this year that he could have blamed his team for but he took the higher road publicly.
    Hamilton tends to throw tantrums when things don't his way.

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1

Pete

21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It is really rather simply, here. Button has learned to bring the car home, Hambone has not.

22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

That usually equals points and wins.

23. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Excellent article on Button. I hope he gets a raise.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #25 PSk, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
    Yep LN is still in rookie mode. Such talent but by all accounts of his F1 history so far not prepared to listen and learn ... maybe it's a Gen Y issue?

Maybe making him pay for the parts of the car that are broken during preventable race accidents would help? All these things he would have learnt in a 2nd tier team with a tight budget ... unfortunately we will never see how good LH could have been due to complete and utter miss-management of this raw talent. He really could have been the next Stirling Moss.
    Pete