1998 Ferrari F 355 SPIDER on ebay for $50k | FerrariChat

1998 Ferrari F 355 SPIDER on ebay for $50k

Discussion in '348/355' started by RichardGilmore, Feb 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardGilmore

RichardGilmore Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Richard Gilmore
  2. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
  3. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    if it seems to good to be true , then it is

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    The guys got lots of good feedback, but it does not make sense. The pre-approve thing is odd as well. I agree, if its too good to be true....

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yes but he has never sold anything even remotely expensive before...aside from some agricultural appliance.

6. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Something fishy here.
    $50K for a 355 spider just is impossible. Could be a theft recovery or something. Or the car has 180.000 miles instead of 8.000.... who knows....
    Remember 50 grand is more or less 348 spider money !!!

Interesting to follow anyway!

Joren REMANS

7. Red Baron

Red Baron Rookie

Feb 14, 2004
    N. Cal
    I ran the Carfax - and it looks OK...but it had both a "lease" and a "fleet" title in the history...and that can sometimes be an issue. I looked at a car when I was searching for my 355 that had a "fleet" title...and it turns out it had been used in one of those "Dream Car Rental" businesses. I'd say 10,000 miles on one of THOSE cars is a bit different than only a private owner.

I would do a LOT of questioning of the owner, the purchase date, his use, it's history before him (titles issued in N. Carolina and Illinois), files and records, etc... As had already been said, "if it seems too good to be true, it usually is..."

8. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Proceed with caution. :eek:

9. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    One other point to add that is actually not uncommon amongst Ferrari owners is that there is a spell of 14 months where the car is only driven 230 miles - from February '02 to April '03. As RedBaron said the CarFax looks fine as does AutoCheck.com. Usually one or the other might show some anomoly if anything happened. That being said - it is definately too cheap to be on the "up and up." Worth watching though!

10. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying the CarFax shows a reading of only 230 miles between these mileage data points??

11. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Low price.....Big deposit Hmmm.

12. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    My guess is it's a another scam. I reported similar incident to Ebay some time back. Guy steals identity of legit Ebayer, offers Ferrari way below market, gets you to wire big deposit or put in a bogus escrow account and you never hear from him again. BEWARE!!

13. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    It says the seller lives in the United States. Does anyone live near there? Maybe you could drive by and look at it.

14. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

No bids, he hasn't had anyone fall for it yet. At this point half the selling time is up. Hmm, you'd think if it was a scam he'd at least show some scham bids.......

15. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Is it possible to be a winning bidder but only agree to buy on your own terms i.e. the only way you would buy it at the agreed price is if you're allowed to do all the due dilligence necessary? Does this go against eBay policy?

16. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    With only 8K miles - The price should be more like 95-100K.

If it is identity ebay posting - if you send an e-mail to the seller - it would go to the original e-bay owner - unless the e-mail account was stolen as well.

If this is true - I just paid 38K to much for my 355 with 17K miles on it and it wasn't an F1...

Tell me it isn't true :)

17. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Ok - I just sent the "seller" an e-mail - cause this is driving me nuts.

Here is what I sent -

Can you tell me the dealer who did the Service - to verify records before bidding.

The price is very low for this car - based on market pricing... Can you tell me why you are selling an why such a low price.

What I figure is he sends back the dealer which did the service - I am betting no matter which dealer he sends back - one of us on here will know the service department - and can dig into the info - and see if this is for real.

I also wanted to see how he will respond to the 2nd question - to see if he will come up with a legit answer.

No response = Fraud

I will let you know if I hear anything...

18. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    When I went through the experience and emailed the guy with the Great Deal 355 previously, the response was " I will pre approve only that person who will agree and transfer the funds into escrow company account wire transfer or e-gold.com account". I later received a notice from Ebay saying somebody had tried to log on to my account several times. You know what they say about it looking too good to be true

19. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    This in 100% fraud. I know cause I went through one of these. Notice te bidder must be pre approved, meaning you cant place a bid unless you get an approved. Well you will never get approved, instead you will hear some BS story about how this guy is out of the counstry or some other BS and he will ask you for a deposit through ascrow or a deposit through Western Union. Eventually if you send a deposit you will get screwed. Someone did that to me with a $12k plasma TV only the idiot thought he could get away with it while making the deal through PayPal. Since I paid PayPal with a credit card they I was able to stop the payment after this crook sent me a box full of newspaper. He never got my money and I never got a plasma(from him). Just a warning that if you see an auction that is way too cheap and you must be pre-approved RUNNNNNNN.

20. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    Sorry for all the spelling errors, i'm on 2 hours of sleep.

21. Throttleman

Throttleman Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2003
    Pasadena,CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Ablett
    I am glad I continue to read this forum. I too saw that auction and figured it had to be a scam. Thanks for the posts.

22. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris

Why would not he get the money?
    If you paid him by CC through Paypal, the money goes from your CC to his paypal account, he can immediately transfer it to his bank account that links to paypal account, then he can withdraw the funds from the bank, before you receive the box for newspaper and take action.

Of course you dispute with CC company, and get your money back. Now Paypal is the one of the money, not the guy. With that amount of money, Paypal prolly really go after the guy hard, but still Paypal is the victim here.

By the way on the side note, what card did you use? Because it is not a guarantee you can get your money back. It is your word against his, no one other than you and him know if you really get the TV or not, not every creditcard company is willing to chargeback on your claim.

23. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Kind of a red flag that he is offering free shipping. When was the last time you saw that on a vehicle???

24. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    I used a Discover Card and you're right it was the CC Co. that charged it back not PayPal. However I know for a fact that PayPal went after him hard I did fallow up on the whole deal. Long story short he tried and failed and hopefully this Ferrari seller won't succeed.

25. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Autocheck shows it was DRIVEN only 230 miles in that 14 month period. Not all that UNcommon for some Ferrari owners. Just one more point of interest for whatever it is worth.