Colorado Grand | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Colorado Grand

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by redtailalfa, Sep 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    #26 camchain, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. juanito308

juanito308 Karting

Mar 7, 2003
    Littleton, Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Great pics Ron, thanks! How did the little LM Coupe keep up with all the 250's?

3. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    A few years back I had the pleasure of co-driving in the Colorado Grand with my friend Hugh Ruthven in his Drogo bodied 250. (The red car shown in two views in post #16) The Grand is a fantastic event. I sure wish I owned an appropriate car.

4. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    #29 camchain, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Now now Juan, be gentle. It sort of depends which 250. We were not embarrassed by 0345 EU but the photo below was taken about the same time we were dispatched by the silver 250 GTO in the photo above. I would bet that there was easily a 45-50 mph speed differential. It certainly sounded that way - glorious.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    Hugh is a fixture on the Grand. He is a treat. The event would not be the same without him along.

6. Altitude Problems

Sep 20, 2009
    #31 Altitude Problems, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
    SPEAKING OF HUGH RUTHVEN !!!!!!! --- HUGH RUTHVEN SAVED MY ASS !! THANKS HUGH !!! READ ON YOUZZ GUYZZZ !!!

HI Redtailalfa.

That was me you saw changing jets in the Silver GTO,

It should have been a straightforward procedure given that I've been there three times with the same owner's TR59 but this time the gremlins were really screwing with my mind....... A new condenser failed right in the middle of the tuning process ...

I only witnessed a condenser failure one time 40 years ago so this was the last thing I looked for when the engine suddenly began acting up on me but around 10:00 pm I finally figured it out.

So It's 10:00pm , all the auto parts stores are closed and I'm standing there looking like a dope with a dead condenser in my hand when out of the fog appears Hugh Ruthven. and I say "Hey Hugh !" "Got a condenser in your back pocket" Hugh says; "No but I have one in the trunk" .... (the guy has one in his trunk)

Hugh hands me an old used Magneti Marelli condenser with the two eared mounting bracket.. I install it.....end of problem. I finish tuning the GTO in the morning.

Second day out the new condenser in the other distributor craps out 30 minutes into the run but I had a generic condenser from the Napa store and I threw it in ..end of problem...
    Another 850 miles trouble free..

I'm in the process of buying up some OEM Mirelli Stamped condensers and will never use those unstamped aftermarket Mirelli look-alikes again.

And YES, for the tenth time..the ignition coils and ballast resistors were wired correctly when the condensers crapped out.

Anyway Youzz Guyzzz.... just wanted to give you a heads up with regard to those crappy aftermarket condensers because you may not have Hugh Ruthven there to save your ass when your Ferrari craps out in the middle of the night..

Thanks Again Hugh ! I.O.U. Big Time

Alec Giaimo

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Incredible, thanks for posting pics. Seems to get better every year.

I definitely want to drive this one at some point.