308GTSQV Hood and Trunk latches? | FerrariChat

308GTSQV Hood and Trunk latches?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mdsassaman, Jan 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdsassaman

mdsassaman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Mike Sassaman
    My 1984 308GTSQV has two latch problems. I need to replace the engine cover release cable because it broke and I am using the emergency release now. Where do I get the cable and how do I replace it?
    My next issue is more difficult. The front spare tire lid latch releases on the passenger side but not on the driver side. The latch cable is fine and the emergency cable is ok too but will not release the driver side latch. Any ideas on how to release it? I will probably replace these cables too while I am at it. Any advice would help.

Mike Sassaman
    Reading, PA
    [email protected]

2. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    #2 Badman, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I managed to get both of my latches stuck at one point this fall, and the only thing I could find about getting them free was to take the whole front of the car apart and then detach the front hood from the car and pull the whole thing forward off the latches. Forget that!

Well, after a bit of head scratching with Verrell, Birdman, and Prova85 all over at my place, we finally designed this using Birdman's 308 as a reference car. We went through a couple revisions, but after we got the tool right and our technique right, it was fairly easy to jimmy the latches open manually.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. mdsassaman

mdsassaman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Mike Sassaman
    Thanks, At least I can get one side open and I can get to the other latch through the weatherstripping. I'll try your tool and let you know if it works. Many thanks.
    Mike

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Also when you do get it open just remove the hooks on the underside of the hood for the engine cover. It stays down by itself even at 70 mph. I left mine off until I got the cable. As you can see you can't do that with the front.

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Are there dimensions for this special Ferrari tool?

6. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    I'll go dig up the tool and perhaps make up a drawing if it's useful for folks.

7. amo66120

amo66120 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Poughkeepsie NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Could also use dimensions of tool.
    Passenger side releases. Driver side unlocks but doesn't release.
    Any recent ideas how to open with the least amount of damage

8. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Cable is primarily available in two materials, stainless and galvanized steel. Stainless is only 70% the strength of galvanized but has absolute rust resistance and much higher cost. Take time to count existing number of strands and if you have access to micrometers, measure strand diameter as well as overall dia.

Google 'aircraft cable <name of your town>' as a walk-in store will produce a better match than hoping you read the catalog right. Don't overlook motorcycle shops.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=gavanized+steel+cable&op=search&Ntt=gavanized+steel+cable&N=0&sst=subset

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_chain_rope_cable-ft1_cable_accessories_1;b1a14c72.html

9. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    YES !!!!!!!!!!!

PLEEEEEEEEEEASE ........ ?

10. kafugelum308

kafugelum308 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2003