Jackie Stewart doesn't think MS is one of the greats? | FerrariChat

Jackie Stewart doesn't think MS is one of the greats?

Discussion in 'F1' started by vinuneuro, Sep 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Interesting phrasing:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94854

He (Hamilton) has the skills, and he has the abilities, but unfortunately he is having too many incidents.

"Michael [Schumacher] has had the same problem, but all the great drivers, the Fangios, Jim Clarks, Niki Lauda, myself - we didn't have many accidents."

2. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    It seems a common disease among old racing drivers to maintain an unhealthy close proximity between their feet and their mouths... ;)

3. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    LOL

So he considers himself one of the all time greats, and the guy who demolished ever record Jackie ever had and bested every height Jackie ever reached isn't one of them?

Laughable.

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #4 texasmr2, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
    +100,000,000

My personal respect for Jackie decreases more and more with each passing year as he continues to ramble on which in all essence he is just stroking his own self serving ego. Atleast MS had/has the BALLS to come out of a self-imposed retirement and drive an actual F1 car instead of letting his mouth do all the racing for him!!!

Oh I almost forgot to ask, who gives a rats arse what JS says anyway as he has done NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING but criticise/find fault in EVERY F1 Driver except himself!!!!!!

5. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    exactly.

6. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I love Jackie. He has the greatest hats

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Well said. I know Jackie doesn't like the daredevils as they have endangered others in the past, but he also needs to understand that some winners are smooth and keep their noses clean, while others push the envelope and enforce their will. Both types are champions and greats (personally, I prefer the guys who push the envelope, but I can respect both types).

Pushing the envelope is the very essence of competition.

8. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    the one's that survived that era of racing became WDCs, the rest mostly were killed in their accidents

Todays car are so close to indestructible that the drivers take indeterminable risks that would have killed the drivers from the past so it's stupid comparing any driver from the modern era to the men who raced the flimsy cars from the past.

Is Jackie missing out on some attention ?

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't remember having read any statements from Stewart that I ever liked.

One can say many negative things about Schumacher but not counting him amongst the sports' greatest is simply ludicrous. The man has redefined the records of the sport. He is by any measure the most successful F1 driver of all times. If that doesn't guarantee him a place amongst the sport's greatests, then nothing else will.

Stewart is a fool and a little man to say such things.

PS: Watch how disrespectful Stewart treats Senna in an interview in the movie "Senna". That was like 20 years ago, so don't give him the excuse of senility. The guy was always an odd ball.

10. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Love it. I love Jackie Stewart.

LOL

MB

11. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Jackie Stewart isn't even the top "Jacky" of F1. :D

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think Jackie Stewart is most likely the greatest driver in History.

WDC 3 times... but more importantly all that he did for racing, safety and the business of racing ..... HE KNOWS what he is talking about.

In his day, if you had the errors and accidents that MS, Hamilton etc.. do you were dead! simple as that. I'm not taking anything away from Schumacher etc... but the new cars are so much safer BECAUSE of Stewart...Those of you who dont like him, have you ever seen him drive? and or listend to him talk about driving... everything he says he can back up with action.

13. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    He is relativizing his discourse to evaluating drivers in terms of 'incidents,' the appropriate context of the conversation. Perhaps within those parameters, he does indeed have a point. He never struck me as an egomaniac.

The eternal question of "now vs. then" is...could the guys today do as well on the equipment of yesteryear or vice versa with regards to the old guys now. It seems that the old school, in any domain of human endeavor, always looks at the current doers of the do as somehow implicitly inferior to themselves. "Vanity, thy name is human."

14. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    I'd agree MS is not in Clark or Fangios league.

15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1

16. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Another great post.

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That's like comparing an Analgesic with an Anesthetic.

Why, back in my day, I stayed awake after taking an Aspirin. These days, the wimps can't handle Nitrous Oxide.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You didn't have many accidents because you would be dead. How many truly great drivers never made it through seven or eight seasons?

MS is one of the greats because he helped to bring Ferrari out of the wilderness. The team was molded around him. And he had the talent to make the most of it.

For bringing Ferrari back alone he gets to be called one of the greats.

However, it has to be noted that the drivers of Jackie's or Fangio's era drove with the knowledge that each time they sat in the car could be there last day on earth. Yes, driving in the Schumacher era is dangerous but nothing near what it was in the 50's through 70's.

You have to give them some major credit for having the balls to do what they did while all the time knowing they could end it all in a firey crash

I don't know how they did it.

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think he's just jealous. I mean seriously..who cares what he thinks or says. If your done, your done. Keep your mouth shut and enjoy the show. If you don't enjoy the show. Try golf or something else.

20. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Growing up as a kid, Jackie was one of my favorite drivers, but with comments like these I lose a little respect for the man each time. It would be like Bruce Tegner saying that Bruce Lee was not a great martial artist because he doesn't do it like I do.

21. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Yes. But that was thirty forty years ago. In today's technology and safety standards, drivers are able to push it further.

22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Wait, I'm confused now: are you talking about Stewart or Schumacher?

23. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Jackie gets asked his opinion by the media, he gives it and doesn't sugar coat things. It's not like he chases them down to say these things. He's also from an era where they didn't have this diplomatic pc crap that defined Schumacher's era.

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Well said.

25. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    Michael (barring another Ferrari stint) needs to hang it up,,,again. Stewart needs to take his hats and go back to his Taurus gig. With smiles, David