the 360 is many things but it sure isn't the fastest car on the road | Page 3 | FerrariChat

the 360 is many things but it sure isn't the fastest car on the road

Discussion in '360/430' started by auclutch, Jul 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    #51 raptorduck, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
    + 1/2.

The only part I take exception to is that an R1 handles like an F1 car (assume you mean an Formula 1 race car?). An R1 does NOT handle like an F1 race car (nothing legal even comes close, even an Arial Atom). As sportbikes go, the R1 handles very well indeed, but not as well as a 600 (particularly an R6). The new R1's do handle like the old 600's though, which is pretty impressive for a big bore bike.

To keep this thread on point, my 360 spider is pleanty fast for me. Is it faster than my R8? No, whether in the straights or corners. Do I care, no. It's a Ferrari, which is why I have both. :)

2. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    I would put money on my 360 Spider with Tubi vs. an R8 V8 any day of the week. Sorry, but the R8 is cool, but heavy.

3. superbike81

superbike81 Karting

Sep 15, 2011
    I used to be obsessed with being faster (at least as fast) as everyone else on the road. I wasted so much money building cars to be fastest not only in a straight line, but also in the twisties, especially here in Japan where "touge" (mountain road) racing is very popular. I guess getting older I just kind of grew out of it, now I don't really care if other cars on the road are faster. I still want a fast car, but more than anything I want a car that makes me feel a certain way. I've had cars with as much as 650hp, but no matter how much power it has, no car has ever made me feel the way I felt when I was driving my father's 355. Or when I was babysitting a friend's 430 and drove it a few times. If a new GT-R pulled up next to me in a 430, yes I'm sure it would beat me without much difficulty, but his will never feel like a Ferrari, or sound like a Ferrari, or be as beautiful, or have the rich heritage of Ferrari.

Don't concern yourself with speed so much, the 360 is by no means a "slow" car in any way, but try to focus on the feeling you get when you drive it, not losing a street race to another car. There are little Honda Civic hatchbacks that will walk all over that 360 up to about 140mph, but it's a still a Civic.

4. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Raptorduck has both, so no need to pick either or other than depending what mood one is in that day ;)

5. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    #55 raptorduck, Sep 26, 2011
    Well, IMHO, it is always the driver, but with me in both, my R8 is noticably faster than my 360 spider, which also has Tubi, both off the line and in the corners. There is a fast corner I take in the 360 at my comfortable max at 100, that I can take in the R8 at 120, and it is even better in tight corners. So if I race me anyway, the R8 wins. In the wet? Fogetaboutit! The 360 is too scary to drive in the wet and the R8 "seems" to get faster in the wet.

You are correct that the R8 V8 weighs more than the 360 spider (242 lbs more), but I think it makes up with the extra hp and AWD off the line grip and corner traction. Steering on the R8 is heavier than on the 360, but the R8 feels more planted in the corners, less bouncy, and off the line there is no comparison . . . at least when I drive them. ;)

6. superbike81

superbike81 Karting

Sep 15, 2011
    Just curious, which tires are you running on the R8 and 360? Tires can make a HUGE difference in cornering speed and acceleration.

7. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    So lets see if I got all this:

Are you guys telling me that my 360 isn't the fastest car in the Whole Wide World? and that other Manufacturers make very fast cars too? and that if I wanted I could buy one of those other cars?

OK,,,so let me give this some thought.....Nah!!

8. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    #58 raptorduck, Sep 26, 2011
    Hey that is a good point and question. I am embarrased to say I can't recall, but I will check tonight and post a response.

Either way, both are very fast cars on twisty roads. In straights, there are numerous cars that can go faster than both a 360 or V8 R8, but not so much when straight lines give way to sinous delight. Frankly, I have yet to see a car that can keep up with my R8 on meandering 2 lane roads and I live in an area inundated by Ferrari's, Lambos, and Porsches.

Of course, this is with "normal" drivers. Put a pro in a Prius and he can probably out drive me in the R8. I have taken only a few track schools, including the R8 one, so am no expert driver. As I said before, IMHO it is the driver and not the car. When I took the R8 driving school on the V10 R8, I was the 2nd fastest student out of 20 or so students, yet I was 30 seconds slower per lap in the R8 than I have run on that same track on a 600 sportbike (where I am an expert rider) and a pro driver in a V8 R8 could certainly lap faster than I could on a sportbike. So there you go. :)

9. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Yep its simple a 36O is SLOW, the only reason I still own my 2001 996TT is that it is pretty easy to mkae it 550 Hp, one cant do that with a 360 and we are in 2011

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I Trev, I agree with the overall analysis but I still disagree with the weight thing. Yes the 360 was the first aluminum chassis but that doesn't mean the lightest. Curb weight for 360 Modena is listed as 1,450 kg. Curb weight for 355 Berlinetta is listed as 1,350 kg. Yes it is 100kg difference but favors the 355.

11. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    #61 Mattyrae, Sep 26, 2011
    I was talking just straight line acceleration. Audi does 0-60 in 4.3, 1/4 mile in 12.7 at 111.
    360 Spider 2001 does 4.2 0-60, 12.2 1/4 mile at 115. Now as for the twisties, ?? I would have to take your word for it, I have not driven an R8, V8, nor V10.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/content/download/67068/1721060/version/4/file/RT_2008-Audi-R8-4.2-FSI_data.pdf

Here's another:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkm38E8VjXM[/ame]

12. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #62 360trev, Sep 26, 2011
    Don't believe everything you read on the web, errors from wikipedia filofax copied to multiple websites, dear or dear ;O)

Seriously the 1,350kg quoted is always a DRY weight. Actual kerb's weights published in the manuals listed the F355 at around 1450-1475kg! The Modena sales brochure listed the benefits of the aluminum chassis as the reason why the 360 weighted so much less than its predecessor, the F355!

Its been discussed many times, even on here;
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190885

Realistically there wasn't a huge amount of difference in it, probably 50kgs saving towards the 360...

http://www.autozine.org/Graveyard/html/Ferrari/360.html

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thanks. And once again, you know WAY more than I do. I should have known better.

14. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    #64 raptorduck, Sep 26, 2011
    Very interesting video. I don't know how my R8 would do against a Modena in a 0-60 race. My R8 has been timed to 60 at 4.0 seconds (for the V8 R8 I have seen as low as 3.9 and as high as 4.3). It is bone stock. My 360 has never been timed to 60, but is supposed to be faster than stock (which lists at 4.5 to 60), but I suspect it is no faster than a stock 360 spider. My spider is heavier than a Modena, of course, which suggests the Modena would be faster. However, the problem with my 360 (and 2 others I have driven hard off the line) is that the wheels spin when you go hard from a dead stop. That suggests that it might be worse in a lighter car, but the video says otherwise. Not so with the R8 though. With me driving, it is not even close in a straight line. The 360 gets closer on a twisty road, but not a straight line.

The only comparison I have between my R8 and a Modena is my Bentley (sort of), which specs 0-60 in 4.5 secs. I got into a race off a stoplight on an expressway against a yellow Modena in my Bentley (with it in sport mode) and the Bentley got the better of the 360 by the next stop light probably 1/4 mile later (b/c we were both well over "censored" mph by that point) by 5-10 car lengths (this is a pure guess). About 4-5 months later, a good friend and I did, um, done some testing at that same spot wiht me in the R8 with he in the Bentley and the R8 got the better of that dual by few car lengths.

I also have an F1 trany on my spider and R-tronic on my R8. I have driven the stick R8 and for an amateur driver like me, I am much faster at shifts with the paddles. The R8 manual has a gated shifter like a 360 manual would. To boot, my heel to toe ain't so good. I don't know what tranys the cars have in this video.

15. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've been reading this thread with great interest. I've always LOVED the 360 Modena...it is just a drop dead gorgeous car. What we have to keep in mind is that "360" means 3.6 liters.....ONLY 3.6 LITERS....that is a very small V8. Add in the fact that is naturally aspirated...and it's quite amazing how quick the car is. Practically EVERYTHING it's being compared to has a larger motor, or turbos....or both! We need to keep things in perspective. I have a Testarossa right now and love the torque of the flat-12 motor, but some day I would like to get a 360 coupe....

16. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Says it all in the video title upon playback: 360 manual vs Audi R8 R-Tronic

17. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    #67 psorella, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
    The 360 weighs a little less than the 355 while being 10% bigger in size. Also, the stock engine on a 360 is rated at 400HP and if you have a Tubi and or sport cats, that can easily increase by 8%... Although I finf the 355 very sexy, the 360 is another animal when compared to the 355.

Lino

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    To put this to rest I went and and pulled both owners manuals. Trev is right again (as usual), the 360 is lighter and many locations on the web list the wrong numbers.

The 360 is listed as 3086 lb and the 355 as 3152 lb. The 360 is lighter by 76 lb (30 kg). They are very close but the 360 is slightly lighter.

According to the manuals the 360 is listed as 294 KW, 395 HP. The 355 is listed as 280 KW, 375 HP. That puts them 20 HP difference in power.

As for adding a Tubi, etc. I discounted that because you can do that to both engines and get more out of them.

19. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    So I decided to troll the internet for 0-60 times for the 360 vs the R8 and found a number of websites that list 0-60 measured times for tons of cars, all the major print, TV, and on-line car magazine tests, and manufacturer data. In all I found dozens of individual 0-60 times for each of the V8 R8 and 360.

0-60 times for the 360 ranged from 4.2-4.6 seconds with an average of 4.45 seconds. The most common time was 4.5 seconds. The official Ferrari manufacturer time is 4.5 seconds for the Modena and 4.6 seconds for the spider.

0-60 times for the V8 R8 ranged from 3.9-4.4 seconds with an average of 4.25 seconds. The most common time was 4.4 seconds. The official Audi manufacturer time is 4.4 seconds.

So at least it appears that the true difference is that the R8 1/10th to 2/10ths or so faster than the 360, which really makes them about even.

I would imagine the differences in times are reflective of conditions, the partiuclar car, tires (as pointed out earlier), whether F1 or stick or R tronic etc, driver skill, launch method yada yada.

For little ol me, I can't get my 360's tires to not spin on take off, a problem I don't have with my AWD R8. Personally, I think the 360 requires more driver skill to go fast, so with two average Joe drivers at the helm, I think the R8 would win. However, on that logic, my Bentley GT (with a 4.5 time to 60) would beat them both with an average Joe at the helm, because all you have to do is press the pedal hard in sport mode and the car does the rest. Kind of like easy mode in Grand Turismo.

20. SED

SED Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #70 SED, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    #71 raptorduck, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    360 = Michellin PS2's with about 1,500 miles on them (recomended by my dealer)

R8 = Pirreli P Zero with about 5,000 miles on them (recommended by Audi for the R8)

At least in my stable, the R8 is king. The turn I described earlier is perfect for my "testing" which is always on the way to work in the early morning because that is the only time that road is bare bone empty and safe for me to go fast into those corners. Before the turn is a long straight so you can build up speed. It is a wide and long double apex turn. After the second apex, the road narrows (going from 2 to one lane) into a 120 degree tighter turn. In my Audi Q7 the max I can take the first is 70 and the second 55 and at those speeds, I feel on the edge. In my Bentley (in sport mode), the max I can comfortably take the first turn is 80 dropping to 65 into the second turn. In my BMW that is 95 or so dropping to 75 or so. In the Aston, it is about the same as the BMW. In the 360 I can take the first turn at 100 and drop to 80 on the second. But in the R8 I can take the first at 120 and drop to 90 on the second, and I can do that every time and the car feels stable like it can go harder, far more stable than any of the others. Even in the wet this morning (from a lot of mist) I took the first at 100 in the R8 and the second at 80. Nuff said.

I am just giving credit where credit is due and I have yet to see a car keep up with the R8 when the road starts to wind about and it has gone up against Vettes (Z06 not ZR1), Porsches (including Cayman's and Turbos, but not GT2 or 3), a GTR, and a couple Gallardo's (this was the most surprising one. An R8 should not pull away from a superior car?).

At any rate, emotionally, I prefer the 360 to the R8. Practically, the R8 wins because it is a DD supercar, whilst the 360 is a special occasion (Friday-weekend car anyway) supercar. I think the 360 is more exciting to drive than the R8 V8, which in turn is more excting to drive than the R8 V10. The 360 requires more effort, more finesse. It is more involving to drive. It announces itself to you and the world with deliberation. Driving it feels like more pomp and circumstance. Performance is performance, but there are aspects of a Ferrari that go far beyond performance that make it stand out. Comparing the R8 to a 360 is like comparing (as I have said before) a dependable german wife to your wild Italian mistress. You trust and can depend on the first and don't always trust the second and she is far more demanding, but you just don't care.

22. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    WOW i never would've thought a 360 could keep up with an r8.

what exactly is an rtronic? just means it's a tiptronic?

23. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    #73 Mattyrae, Sep 28, 2011
    I don't care what has been previously said, any place you look, dragtimes.com, motor week videos, fastestlaps.com, the 4.2 R8 cannot beat a 360 in the 1/4 mile, maybe off the line with the 4WD, but I have seen nothing lower than 12.6 at 113 mph. 360 Spider can do 12.2 at 115, coupe would be better with the lower weight, as shown in the video.

If Audi ever gets a nice DCT transmission like Porsche or Nissan, or the 458, it would be a different story. Most magazines do not favor the R-tronic transmissions, but enjoy the 6 speed manual R8's.

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    screw all the magazines and heresay- real world, my good friend has an R8 8 cylinder and another has the v10 spyder. V10 is way faster no arguments, the v8 is very close to the 360. I have him raced him multiple times from standstill and rolling start, i get him every time in 1st and 2nd and he only catches me becasue I cannot shift as fast from 2nd to 3rd vs his auto. The cars are pretty close. For what it is worth, he coudnt beat my manual e92 m3 and my 2003 RS6 (slightly modified) absolutley destroyed him.

Hopefully this will put the speculation to rest.

25. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    #75 raptorduck, Sep 28, 2011
    Considering I own both a 360 and an R8, I have no vested interest in which car is faster. All I know is that my R8 is faster than my 360 with tubi and an ECU upgrade. Nothing you say changes that. In terms of on-line data, I looked at a lot of web sites and for a 360 Modena, the fastest I saw was 12 flat on the quarter mile, but most were in the 12.5 and 12.6 range. For 360 spiders, all the numbers I saw were 13 flat to 13.2. For V8 R8's, all the times I saw were in the 12.4-12.5 second range for the 1/4 mile. It is not my data as I have never run either of my cars in the 1/4 mile. I have only timed my R8 to to 60, which it did in 4 flat, 4 tenths to 60 faster than the typical time you see to 60 for an R8. Dunno why, but it is what it is.

I have full confidence that my R-Tronic V8 R8 can outrun a 360 spider to 60 and 1/4 mile (and outhandle), but not necessarily that it could out run a 360 Modena, but I would love to find out. That would be fun and I ain't afraid of loosing. After all, I own both cars and there is always something faster.

This is all like comparing two Victoria's Secret models to eachother (a German one to an Italian). Kinda fun, but in the end, nobody looses.