By Pass Valve Operating Details - 355 / 5.2 | FerrariChat

By Pass Valve Operating Details - 355 / 5.2

Discussion in '348/355' started by WATSON, Oct 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    In reading the WSM & Owners Manual, the bypass valves opens when the engine RPM'***** these levels in each of these gears:

By-Pass Valve operating range:
    1, 2, 4, 5 & 6 = 2800+ RPM
    3rd gear = 4000+ RPM

I assumed the valve opened up once the RPM's were reached. Period.

However, I need to have the throttle almost wide open to get the vacuum necessary to open the valve....

To check, I hooked a vacuum gauge up and was able to watch what happened while I drove around. Here is what I found:

1. The vacuum was not engaged unless I was at (or above) the specified RPM/ Gear range...but also had the throttle wide open. Just cruising above the RPM/Gear combination did not generate vacuum to open the valve....is that normal & correct?

2. In 2nd gear the range was 4,000 rpm. Is the manual printed correctly? There have been more than a few mis-prints in that thing.

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The throttle needs to be at least 80% open for the exhaust valve to open (along with the requisite RPMs).

3. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Thank you Mitch. I appreciate hearing that from someone who knows these cars way better than I ever will.

Any guess on the 2nd gear limits I found during my test?

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I remember that the exhaust valve opening was delayed on one gear due to Swiss noise regulations.

5. gus355

gus355 Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2011
    B.C. and WA
    I really badly want to hook my valve back up, I am till trying to figure out the vac. hose routing

6. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    #6 WATSON, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    Looking at the two solenoid valves from the rear looking forward....

The left hand one operates the by-pass valve
    The right hand one feeds the cut off valve.

Left hand top hose connection goes to a metal tube tack welded to the cross bar.
    the outlet of that tube is forward of the by pass valve and to the right.
    Connect hose from by pass valve to that tube.
    - or -
    Connect hose from bypass valve to top hose connection on the LH solenoid valve.

Right hand top hose connection feeds to the cut out valve.

Bottom LH & RH hose connections are teed together and go to the vacuum tank.

Follow the diagram here: http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=1450

7. gus355

gus355 Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2011
    B.C. and WA
    Very confusing description (sorry!)

I keep studying the diagram but cannot for the life of me figure it out.

8. gus355

gus355 Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2011
    B.C. and WA
    I think I have come to the conclusion that I no longer need any other project cars, this one is a full time hobby.

9. gus355

gus355 Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2011
    B.C. and WA
    OK, so on my car 16 and 37 are hooked from the vac. cannister left top port to the nipple on the large metal (5/8") pipe that is near the right airbox.

I am going to trace the solenoid hoses and see what I find.

10. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    #10 WATSON, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Pretty heavy handed....but you get the idea. The orange section is the steel pipe tack welded to the steel air pipe. Hope it helps.....best of luck
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Philippe

Philippe Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Brussels, Belgium
    #11 Philippe, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. gus355

gus355 Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2011
    B.C. and WA
    Are you sure - as I said, my car is plumbed different.

Where your red line turns yellow, there is a nipple on the metal pipe, that nipple runs a hose to my vac. cannisters left port.

There are no open lines or nipples in my car.

I realy appreciate the help guys!

13. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    #13 WATSON, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    I am never really sure of anything anymore.

Line #37 in table 8 is the same line #22 in table 14. http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=1456

It splits into two lines where each has a check valve and attaches to the throttle body. Follow the "=" signs:

.............................======= check Valve =====throttle body
    #22 on table 14..../
    ===============
    ...........................\====== check Valve =====throttle body

You can see the two check valves in Philippe's first image. The two open ends were connected to the throttle body RH & LH The one running off the page to the right is #22 on table 14 which picks up as #37 on table 8 and goes to the tank.

It looks like he replaced his with a single unit before the tee instead of separate ones afterwards. Might have to get me one of those!

14. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Lets be clear about that orange section. That orange piece is a small tube that is welded to the back side of the air pipe that feeds the extra air into the exhaust. They are separate systems.

The line from the throttle body feed the vacuum tank. The other line from the tank provides vacuum at the base of each solenoid. the top of each solenoid has control vacuum that is engaged when the solenoid switch is activated. If the bypass valve solenoid is engaged, the vacuum flows and pulls the bypass valve open. If the solenoid closes, the vacuum is released and the valve closes.

The exact same logic holds true for the other solenoid and the cut out valve.

If your car has the right hand side of the orange line in my diagram plumbed from that nipple to the tank, I think your valve will be open all the time. You have by-passed the solenoid switch and the control that goes with it.

In addition, how are you getting vacuum to the cut out valve on the other solenoid valve? one port on the tank goes to the throttle bodies to provide the vacuum. The other now goes direct to the by pass valve. You are out of ports :) Must be a wayward tee in there somewhere????

15. gus355

gus355 Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2011
    B.C. and WA
    Does anyone know of an alternative replacement part for the solenoid valve? I am thinking any 12V solenoid may work but who knows.