Dyno run | FerrariChat

Dyno run

Discussion in 'Texas' started by GrigioGuy, Feb 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    To make up for not getting to go the the IAFS, I instead went to a local tuner shop and made some dyno runs on the Dynojet.

This was the first time the car has been on a dyno, and I wasn't sure what to expect.

Short answer: 223 at the wheels on the best run. Fuel/Air is just about perfect. The car's in great tune.

Made 4 runs, ambient temp was in the mid 50s so I'm sure that helped. Car is stock with a Stebro test pipe. It even has a stock air filter.

First run was a 217.8, second showed 221.7, third 217.9, 4th was 223.0

My buddy ran his modified 2nd gen MR2 turbo after me, ran a 197, then 202 with new plugs. Then the car literally blew chunks of black stuff out the tailpipe. Apparently it had not been driven hard for a while. After that, the next two runs were 219 and 217.

Pics and scans of the actual dyno run output will be posted this evening.

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    What shop was this? I was going to dyno the Integra at a shop in Dallas last weekend (3 runs for $40.00) but instead went to the rally event in Salem, MO.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Very cool.

I take it you would recommend this place for our club dyno day?

How did they get the air/fuel? Something in the exhaust ends?

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    It's a little place run by a friend-of-a-friend. The place is call ATS Racing (http://www.atsracing.net) and a guy named Aaron Bunch co-owns it. The main focus of the shop is Japanese hotrods. There's nothing fancy about the shop, but they seem to know their stuff when it comes to forced induction motors. They had a 350Z in there getting a new set of headers -- apparently the first such mod in the area. Aaron has a 500HP MR2 (!) that Bob Norwood helped him set up.

It cost me $45 for 3 runs with fuel/air. They were having some sensor problems with the dynojet so a 4th run was necessary. The F/A sensor just goes in the tailpipe. The place does have dyno days, they had one last week but I didn't know about it. When I wandered in on Wednesday and asked about dynoing, they were more than happy to open up on Saturday to run the car and a few others. They're good people there, serious car enthusiasts.

5. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Tilman, That is the place is was speaking about. They were hosting a Dallasimport.com dyno day event. Many Hondas, Acuras, Toyotas, Subarus, etc.. showed up to this. From what I understand, is one of the best tuning shops in Lewisville. I was going to a place in Arlington (USA MOTOSPORTS) but they want $150.00 for use of their dyno. Thanks for the link.

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Hey Will

There's a dyno day at a Kwik Kar Lube in Richardson tomorrow. Info is at http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?threadid=274382

Just in case you were still looking for one. I don't know anything about these guys.

Just a note on ATS, the 'normal price' is $75 for 3 runs, but I think that most places like this routinely discount that price.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    This data indicates that the dyno, this day on this car, has about a 1.5% margine for error

220.1 = Average( 217.8, 221.7, 217.9, 223 )

220.1 - 217.8 = 2.3 = -1.04%
    223.0 - 220.1 = 2.9 = +1.32%

error range 2.36% or +/- 1.18%

8. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Minor correction: my NISMO headers have been in my 350 since last June. :)

Rob: A/F is measured by sticking a wideband o2 sensor in the exhaust tip (the quick and dirty way). However, Rotary Performance plugged a wideband o2 sensor in my second o2 bung (the OBD-II cat efficiency o2 bung).

Michael.

9. psychocabbage

psychocabbage Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    Sugarland - Katy
    Full Name:
    psychocabbage
    what kind of car did you get dynoed?

I dyno my car alot.. its best so far is 318rwhp / 337rwtq thats bone stock..

I went to 21st century motorcars in dallas once when I first got my car and a guy had a black 550 Maranello that dynoed 392... that was just awesome to watch..

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    1987 Ferrari 328

11. psychocabbage

psychocabbage Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    Sugarland - Katy
    Full Name:
    psychocabbage
    Thats kewl!
    Thats one of the cars I want to eventually own myself..

what color is yours?
    if you dont mind me asking, how is its reliability? I know I would drive mine as much as possible between breakdowns as I did my Porsche..