where does topgear get those cars they bulldog on the show | FerrariChat

where does topgear get those cars they bulldog on the show

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FERRARIHOME, Oct 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FERRARIHOME

FERRARIHOME Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    OAHU HAWAII
    Full Name:
    FERRARIHOME
    where do they get all those ferraris, lambos, astons, zonda, and every other 1/4 mil car that they get to abuse on every show. im talking about the original show in europe, no one in there right mind would let them "borrow" a car for a tv show to burn the tires off. im watching show right now that they are abusing a ferrari 4.3 liter v8 scuderia 430. 1.19.7 around they're track.

2. superbike81

superbike81 Karting

Sep 15, 2011
    I'm pretty sure most of them are loaners from private owners or the factory. It's great publicity, regardless if the presenters like the car or not, most people are going to buy a car they really like no matter what Clarkson says about it.

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I dont know if "abuse" is the right word.

I mean if they were jumping the car off a jump, or doing 50 red-line limited donuts, or towing 20 thousand pounds with it... up hill, or teaching a newbee to drive with one... Then that MAY be abuse. But to drive the car around a track & set a lap time? These are performance cars, meant to be driven quickly, its not a couch.

Try it, your car may like it.

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1
    I never feel as if they are abusing the cars just driving them like they are meant to be driven. With all the run-off area/space they have the chances of them writing-off a $.5-$1M car is highly unlikely imho (but I have been wrong on a few occasions lol).

5. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    The Enzo used in the show belongs to Nick Mason.

6. FERRARIHOME

FERRARIHOME Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    OAHU HAWAII
    Full Name:
    FERRARIHOME
    ok ok so maybe not abusing but atleast new tires after getting their fast lap. tires smoking for 3 or 4 minutes on the show sideways the whole time about to break loose. dont get me wrong im all for it. it might not be abuse but they sure do go to the cars limit. it is just hard to believe that someone would spend big $ on a car then let someone else drive it to its limit. maybe a dealership would but would they tell the customer that they put the car on topgear and obviously replaced the tires, one i saw they ran a ferrari lambo audi and something else out of gas to see the best gas milage at race speed. ferrari was out first by the way, audi won. that cant be good to run them out of gas, i mean i guess if you have a stable of cars and technicians it wouldn't matter. anyway i was just curious about the origin of the contestants on topgear.

7. Doctor7474

Doctor7474 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor

I hate to say this but you obviously do not know what will or will not hurt a car. I've never seen them do anything to a car on the show to damage them in any way. The cars are engineered to perform as they do and pushing them to their limits as long as a collision does not occur should have no affect on them, tires and a good detail is a small price to pay for one of the most watched shows on earth.

Smoking tires, drifting a car, or runnung the out of gas will not hurt a modern car.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Agreed. The worst you get is a ruined set of tires, if that.

I believe most new car tests are with cars supplied by manufacturers. They like the PR, even if some of the comments are negative.

9. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    i'd say they do/could do in more then just a set of tires on that show, there is a vid segment (i'll try to find) where they talk about how most cars they track test on the show suffer some degree of mechanical failure as a result of being pushed so hard

i heard that nick mason's enzo did just get a set of tires replaced, but clutch, flywheel, and a dealer service (to what degree i don't know?)

10. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    A Uk f-chatter also lent top gear his Ferrari for a segment in the show.

11. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Was there a thread about that Steve? :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

12. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    wasnt the daytona in the south of france from someone on here?

13. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I believe there was :)

EDIT.
    Here it is. http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221855

That is the one I am talking about, the Daytona belongs to a UK f-chatter :)

14. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The majority of them are media cars provided by the manufacturer. They are usually the same cars that are provided to the magazines like Car & Driver, Road & Track, etc...

Even humble freelance journalists like myself get seat time in some of them every once and a while. Top Gear USA reviewed the Lamborghini Superleggera. Shortly after I was provided with the same exact car that they gave the show to write my review.

http://www.examiner.com/sports-car-review-in-national/first-drive-2010-lamborghini-gallardo-superleggera

15. JPSIII

JPSIII Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Phillip Sartin
    A lot of the manufacturers will lend them cars to test because frankly its just good publicity for their latest vehicle. For example, Koenigsegg allowed Top Gear to test the CCX when it was new. Top Gear then ended up wrecking the Koenigsegg, and sent it back to Koenigsegg saying it needed a spoiler on the rear for better down force. Koenigsegg, believe it or not, put a carbon fiber spoiler on the rear, sent it back to Top Gear and let them drive it around their track again.

16. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Uh? Morris Marina anyone? LOL

17. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    No thanks!, there's too many piano problems with a Marina! :D

18. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    As said, most manufacturers give them a car, and sometimes with a whole set of technicians who take care of the car, make sure the car is optimum set up for the track etc (like Ferrari, Porsche, Mclaren and most likely Lamborghini. I have no doubt that all of the small manufacturers do the same).

Ferrari let Marc Gene or Luca Badoer (depends who is available) drive a lap round the track (in a stig suit) so that they are satisfied that the absolute most got out of the car. I'm sure the same goes on with other significant manufacturers.

If they can't get a car from the factory (say, like the F40 segment) they source the car from owners if they're willing to let them use it. If a set of tires gets destroyed I'm sure they'll replace it ;).

They also fully insure the car.

20. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    #20 andyww, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
    The BBC are tightar*es and never pay for anything if they can get away with it. They consider they are doing you a favor by allowing you to lend them stuff. I once lent them a couple of classic arcade games machines for a show and they said "when can you deliver them?". I politely declined and eventually they agreed to send a van to pick them up.
    I did end up with Konnie Huq playing with my joystick though...

21. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    I was able to put the Daytona owner ( who's car featured on top gear), in contact with a guy who owned the car 10 yrs prior and is a motor trader. Anyway not sure exactly what the Daytona owner got from it ( I think he was just happy to create more provenance for the car, it was originally used by prince Charles as a young man when it was a demonstrator).

However when I got in touch with guy i know who was the old owner, he is a porsche man really, but told me about when the carrera gt came out he owned one of the first and top gear got in touch with him through Porsche uk, and pleaded with him to loan them his new car, and he could have 6 tickets to come to the show, but were unable to offer any money.

22. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    For the episode when they had best car for under $5K they purchased my friends Jaguar with the V8 Engine. He said it was simple...they called about it, wired the money, and that was it.

23. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    So does the 250GTO, the 288GTO and I believe the Maserati 250f Jezza drove intro'ing the MC12 test was Mason's as well.