DirecTV dropping Speed network on November 1st | FerrariChat

DirecTV dropping Speed network on November 1st

Discussion in 'F1' started by SRT Mike, Oct 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Anyone heard about this?

Apparently News Corp which owns Fox and the Fox channels is in a dispute with DirecTV. DirecTV is dropping the Fox channels (Fox sports, Speed, National Geo and others) on November 1st if they don't reach a new agreement.

It appears they are at an impasse. Fox wants a 40% price hike implemented in the form of DirecTV collecting $1 per household per channel (AFAIK) on Fox's behalf. DirecTV says no way, and if they did that for every network, prices would be massively higher. Fox says that's the deal they gave to others and that's what they want.

It is very likely not simply a negotiating ploy - if anyone remembers Versus channel, a similar dispute happened and Versus was off DirecTV for 6 months before a deal was hashed out.

Fox says they offered to allow DTV to continue broadcasting during negotiations, and DirecTV says no, take the deal or leave it.

If it is not worked out, starting November 1st, there will be no more SpeedTV for DirecTV customers, which obviously means no F1.

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I've been seeing the commercials to that effect. I expect they'll come to an agreement. If they don't I'll drop DirecTv like a bad habit and go with, probably, Uverse.

NatGeo is also in play, but AFAIK it isn't owned by Fox.

3. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Oh dear, where will we get our nascar news????? (sic)

4. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I don't watch it on Speed any longer anyway. The high def viewing is nice but the commentary ruins it.

5. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    What other source is the best alternative to watch the races for us in the US? We gotta have SOMETHING to substitue if they can't reach an agreement!

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    There's generally a stream available from "somewhere" - Links quite often get posted in the race thread.

I've been meaning to set up a proxy in the UK that will allow me to get the BBC player and thence watch their broadcasts. But I've been lazy. *If* this happens I'll certainly get on it. In fact, it may be the kick up the arse I need to ditch DTV completely and switch to Comcast - "New" customers get all kinds of nice deals, as a long time, loyal subscriber I get screwed.

Cheers,
    Ian

7. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    Get your hands on BBC coverage ;)

1. Get your local techie friend/neighbor kid to show you how to download an "xvid" or "divx" copy of the race 3-4 hours after it airs live.

2. Copy the downloaded file to a standard USB stick.

3. Insert USB stick into your kids Playstation 3, Xbox 360, or potentially your bluray/dvd player or higher end tv. All three of these players will play these files directly off the thumb stick with no extra work. Simply plug it in, go to your players "media" section and hit play.

4. Watch the race commercial free (funny how taxes work in your favour sometimes) and with the best damn commentary team out there right now (Martin Brundle, David Coulthard, Eddie Jordan, and some other tolerable but entertaining in his idiocy host)

5. PROFIT!!!!

Seriously...it might take a little work to learn how if you're computer illiterate (no offence meant) but it really is stupid easy once you know how and I PROMISE it's the best way to watch the races. Oh and did I mention you can start watching at a civilized hour even? ;)

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Just so we get this right, the News Corp stations which are
    owned by Murdoch are negotiatng for rate hikes with
    Direct TV, the majorty of which is owned by News Corp/Murdoch?

Jeez, wonder who will win. It really hacks me off.

BHW

9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Liberty Media bought out News Corp's interest in DTV in 2008 I believe.

10. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    This will go on until there's cafeteria style access to channels. Unfortunately that will probably result in increased cost....the popular and HD channels will be more expensive than the unpopular and standard def channels.

11. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  12. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    If this happens I'm jumping ship. Either Comcast or Uverse.

13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #13 DGS, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
    I remember. It was about the time that Versus announced getting NHL coverage, and DTV was promoting their NHL pay service.

They also took most of the information out of their online guide ... and promote selling you a paper guide.

DTV has gone seriously downhill since the last time they were sold.

I also remember that, while Versus was off DTV because of "outrageous rates", my DTV bill didn't come down at all.

... Until I dropped DTV and got HD/DVR service from Dish for what I was paying for SD service from DTV.
    And a number of movie channels I never got with DTV.

Yes, Dish has its issues too. But the only race the DVR missed this year was Spa.
    Not because of any programming dispute, but because of hurricane Irene.
    Not even because of signal issues --- I had satellite reception during the hurricane .... right up until my electric went out.
    (I have a backup generator now. ;))

But I'd like to find an input amp that works with Dish. (I have a long feed cable, so I do have drop-outs during bad weather. Surprisingly, I lose the local digital broadcast channels too.)

14. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
  15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I fired Comcast about 12 years ago and swore I'd never go back. DTV gave better service when it was owned by News Corp, IMO. I had Dish and gave up on them, too. I guess Uverse is my only real choice if I fire DTV. At least I can get a decent bundled deal from ATT.

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Tag for later.
    The only reason I subscribed to Dish, then Direct was to get the SCCA runoffs (gone) and F1.
    If they kill F1 I get to save $100 per month.
    Bo Hoo.

17. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Bye bye, DirecTV.

18. lowyder993s

lowyder993s Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2006
    Leucadia, Ca.
    This. You won't regret it.

19. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Apparently, only you were listening. May be the best $55 you will spend that lasts an entire year.

20. lowyder993s

Feb 21, 2006
    Leucadia, Ca.
    Werd...someone posted here about StrongVPN a year ago. 2nd year and no complaints...especially since I've now hooked the computer to the big screen.

21. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    Educate me, what is the benefit of this?

22. lowyder993s

Feb 21, 2006
    Leucadia, Ca.
    Strong VPN sets you up with a Virtual Private Network. You log in, (in my case Yahoo, UK)...go to the bbc Iplayer and can watch FP 1,2, qual and the race. They are kept there for a week. No commercials, commentary is HEAD and SHOULDERS above Speed. They have better driver access and produce much better packages. You can also get Top Gear before it airs in the states as well as some other BBC programming. Money well spent.
    Here's the tutorial:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277071&highlight=vpn

23. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    The VPN route sounds promising but I'd rather spend less a month than more. I think I can get Uverse phone, internet, and tv bundled for under $100 a month. Time to comparison shop.

24. lowyder993s

Feb 21, 2006
    Leucadia, Ca.
    ummm...that's $55 a YEAR...less than 5 bux a month.

25. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Thanks for the info. I may do this regardless.

ComCast sucks beyond all measure. As my 5 y/o would say,... they suck triple infinity x 1 million.