88.5-89 328 GTS at Harris Crab House today? | FerrariChat

88.5-89 328 GTS at Harris Crab House today?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Oct 25, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Saw a red late (convex wheel) 328 GTS with a red bra sitting in the lot of Harris Crab House on Kent Island (MD) today around 1PM. Belong to anyone here? My first reaction was, "How did my car get over here?" I was walking over to Annies from the marina and saw it there - several people were admiring it and taking cell-phone shots. One lady said she'd heard of Ferrari's but it was the first one she'd ever seen. She was taking a picture for her son who, she said, "will go crazy."

I stopped to look as well because it was the first bra I have ever seen on a car that actually looked pretty good. It took a few seconds to register that it was even there.

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Hmm - that looks like it could be it. I literally could not tell the bra from the paint. Very impressive.

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #4 Mule, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    There was a 458 parked near Annies Sunday night, October 9th. Do you think Kent Island might be on the verge of becoming the next Ferrrari Mecca????

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #6 mike996, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
    "Too many problems with it (rubbed paint, poor fit, blocked air, etc.)"

Well, I don't know what brand it was but it fit tightly and looked great on the car. What sort of issue is there with blocked air? The one I saw seemed to be open in all the right places. I should have taken a picture.

Kent Island may be the hot spot! I pulled into Annies a few months ago and another 328 (not the one I saw today) and a TR were parked there.

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #7 Mule, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mine looked great, but the issues outweighed the look.
    What I sent to the manufacturer:
    Last winter I purchased a front cover for my black 1989 Ferrari 328 GTS. I have some comments after using it for about 8 months.

1. The quality is very good and the fit is spot on.
    2. However, there are some points that I don't like. The cover flaps very loudly at speeds over 30 mph. At 70, it sounds like two flat tires and can be heard inside the car with the windows up. It flaps along the top edge above the turn signals where the body curves out for the wheel arches.
    3. The fit is good, but it crooked around the turn signals. A little too low. The clips at the fender are aligned properly with the seams. I did have to create one slit on the driver's side for the body seam, which I had emailed you about when I bought it (improperly manufactured without slit on one side).
    4. Along the top edge under the hood, the hood has a support bar running front to back. When the hood closes, this rubs the leather and is creating a tear about one inch below the clip, center of the cover under the hood.
    5. At the bottom of the clips in the wheel wells, both sides are tearing away from the leather, about an inch each.
    6. Since all Ferraris are very low, they all scrape. Without a cover, this is easily absorbed by the lower valance. Put any Ferrari on a lift and you will see scrapes. With the cover, if the car scrapes, the cover rubs the ground and tears since it goes all the way below the leading edge.
    7. The fog lights have a textured surface. These rub the inside of the clear inserts and scratch them. This is also happening on the nose emblem.
    8. The mesh over the front intake grill does block some of the air flow. I have noticed the temp gauge has gone up a bit, and back down when it is off.

The cover has been taken off three times and reinstalled by myself and the Ferrari dealer, following the directions exactly. It is installed and aligned properly, but the above comments still occur. Three friends in the local club have the same covers, and have similar comments. (2 328's and 1 355).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Good info, thanks. I have never liked bras at all but I was thinking that this one looked pretty good. It sounds like I still shouldn't like them! :)

9. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    I think Paint Protection Film is a beter option JMHO

10. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Or nothing. Now, I just make sure the fog lamps are protected and carry a black Sharpie marker for rock chips.

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    There's the advantage of black paint! Wish they made a rosso corsa sharpie! :)

Do you drive the car much in AK? I lived there for 8 years - house in Eagle River, worked in Anchorage.

12. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #12 barcheta, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
    You'd be much better off doing a clear film bra. I actually have one of the period Wolf Bras for a 308.... I've never put it on though. Still new in the box. I will say that it would be a good idea if you haven't done so to put some clear film over those fog lamps.

13. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    A friend of mine who drives a Ford GT made what I think is a very true statement. After taking his car to a GT track event at VIR he said, "paint is a consumable item". Find a good paint shop and have it resprayed every 5 to 10 years or so (depending on the roads in your location).

Of course, this is more for those who just drive them as cars and not use them as show queens. ;)

14. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I agree with the comments about the clear protectors. If you really want to protect the finish, install the 3M clear film or one of the similar products. A friend had his 355 repainted a couple of years ago, and after the paint cured, he installed the 3M film. He also put it on his C6 Z06 when he bought it to protect the paint. He drove both cars a lot, including tracking the Z06, and the clear protector did its job. You could hardly tell either car had the film on it, it required no maintenance other than normal cleaning, and the cars looked great. No road rash on either.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the car bras. If I were going to do it, I'd opt for the 3M film.

15. Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Newmarket Ontario
    Full Name:
    John
    +1.

I've run a bra on a Porsche and both sand and grit gets into and underneath the bra and by virture of even mild wind buffeting, the paint surface gets scratched...and you only discover this after you remove the bra...only wishing you'd never bothered buying the thing in the first place.

I have since used the 3M film with good results. I only wish they would make a thicker more protective film, but one with a tapered edge so it's less optically invasive when it edges up against the painted surface.

16. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The heck with the 328 and a bra, tell us about the Crab House! Man I miss Maryland crab cakes on the eastern shore....

Can't get a decent crab cake anywhere else, totally ruined me.

17. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Couple of thousand miles a year. Drive to Seward is the best. Still about 6 Ferraris in AK.

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Matches my experience.

19. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Once you have crab cakes on the Eastern shore, you're spoiled . Best place used to be the Robert Morris Inn in Oxford. 27 crabs to make 1 crab cake - NO FILLERS used at all. I'm told the restaurant is open again, but I have been back there in a few years.

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Wife and I were at the RM inn in Oxford a few weeks ago (by boat, not car) crab cakes were as good as ever...so was the rum.