Now I need to hitch hike to get to work | FerrariChat

Now I need to hitch hike to get to work

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Saturn, Oct 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Saturn

Saturn Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2010
    Toronto land of salt
    Full Name:
    Saturn
    #1 Saturn, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
    So it was an excellent sunny day ... windows rolled down on the Maser. Sun was out. Weather was nice. So I was going east on Finch towards a scarberia computer store (that I've never been to) to pick up a projecter for my hometheater. I was doing the speed limit roughly.
    Out of nowhere blaring sirens and cop car just swerved towards be coming from behind.
    I said WTF??? Was I speeding.... 5 over... nah

Walked over to my car hand over holster ... holy ****.
    I turn on my car in accessory which actualy turns on the my rear brake light and front lights (US car had to setup for DRL (Daytime Running Lights)) Cop stop walking for a second. I hit my down button on windows as you can not roll down windows without power.

The cop asked if this is my car. I said yes.
    He asked the standard license, registration and insurance.
    He asked me about the color of the car. I said my car is now black and it used to be dark green. One week ago I wrapped my car in matte black ...
    So I said to him "I guess the system has not been updated with the new color change. Go look at my updated printed car registration. It shows black."

So he then says "I am seizing your license". I'm saying to myself WTF? I nicely asked him why he is doing that. He said my licensed is suspended. He then walks away back to his car.

So I'm like ... high end car driving in Scarborough ... with a car color change .. driven by the owner ... who by his record says I have a suspended license. He could be saying to himself a stolen car being covered up... illegally driving with suspended license....

10 minutes go by and he chirped me over to his car. He said there is an outstanding fine on my license. I said I paid a fine on September online and all I had was an offence number and I just paid whatever the system came back with a number .. something like $50 buxs.

He said the license was suspended due to fines .... I thinking to myself that our MTO suspends a license because of a aprrox. $50 fine. WOW!

So he says well I'm keeping your license and giving you this notice .. (not a ticket) that you should go to the court office and settle your dispute about the fine payment. I did mention to him that the fine was set around the same time that I moved to my new house. Maybe the documents got lost and was not forwarded to my new address. I didnt even get a letter from the paralegal about a verdict that was set during around the same as I was moving.

Luckily no ticket for driving with suspended license, no ticket for speeding.

But I wasnt able to drive my car home. The wife had to drive it home. The cop even asked her if she knew how to drive this car and was very offended with the question.

So now I have to go chasing court offices and figure out how to re-instate my license.

What a day...so no driving for me until this gets fixed up.

Anyone know if getting your license suspended shows up in your record? I hope not. I hope this does not ding my insurance ....

2. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Saturn, that really sucks. I certainly hope it doesnt ding your insurance as you say.

I can only imagine your frustration and feel your pain. May not be the right time, but I just gotta ask....please tell me you got pics of this beast with the new wrap? :)

3. sopopopo

sopopopo Karting

Jul 27, 2007
    Mississauga
    LOL!!

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    dont change insurance companies for 3 yrs, and they will not pull an abstract of your license.

Go to the office monday morning when it opens and get it sorted out -

something like this happened to me a few years back, my license was suspended for 7 months and i had no idea - when i went to redo my license that year at the office , they told me, imagine if the cops would have plulled me over, it would have beeen the same as you.

I had a ticket doing 115 in 100 that i didnt pay - thats because i went to fight it, and never heard back in the mail and forgot all about it - i had to pay that charge, and then i got my license back and renewed -

Another form of theivery -

5. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    #5 crcs, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
    Ontario operates a major racket with MTO, Police and insurance companies. They will suspend license over anything(and NEVER inform you, docile pothead Canadians just go along with it) just to milk you for the $150 reinstatement fee, and insurance companies treat any suspension as if you've murdered someone in cold blood(do not even mention the word suspension to your insurer). You should read the Canadian threads over on some of the other supercar forums, pretty much owning a supercar in Canada is useless unless it never leaves the garage. I believe some forum members on this board or another even had police impound car out of sheer spite. You were *very* lucky your wife was present(no surprise cop made insult, serfs aren't suppose to own nice cars), otherwise it would have been an impound with redneck joe scratching up that fine italian interior looking for pocket change. Yep as Big Red said, best place in the world!

6. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    #6 crcs, Oct 30, 2011
    Insurance companies renew almost every 6months these days, and they religiously scan their bases. He will get a rate hike within a year of that ticket showing up. This is Ontario, where people pay 12,000 a year in insurance to drive cars around for a few months. I wish Canadians finally got some backbone.

7. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Insurance companies have Millions of drivers on file, and the ministry charges them $4.00 for a drivers license abstract - the cost to pull an abstract on every driver they have as a policy is not feasible financial, and more importantly, they dont have the labour force to review all these files either. Therefore, if you stay with the same insurance company and dont make a claim in 3 yrs, they will never know of this -

8. Saturn

Saturn Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2010
    Toronto land of salt
    Full Name:
    Saturn
    Thanks for the input guys. I will have to sort it out tomorrow.
    I just noticed one of the notice for payment due on first week of Oct for $80.
    I didn't think a suspension would be placed with 3 weeks. Shouldnt there be at least a notice of arrears or something. And to re-instate at $150 is just a crime.

Anyways I don't know which "wrapped badboy" you guys were taking about so I'll show pics of the ones that is not x-rated.

9. Saturn

Saturn Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2010
    Toronto land of salt
    Full Name:
    Saturn
    #9 Saturn, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #10 GerryD, Oct 30, 2011
    The only pothead on here is you. Your constant diatribe about Canada this and Canada that is incredible. Nobody here pays $12,000 unless the have a really bad driving record. You make it sound like our cops are nazis. You should worry more about your own country that has erroded your rights and freedoms more than any civilized country in the world. They disguize it as "homeland security". Insurance companies in the USA renew every 6 months.....stop getting the two countries mixed up!

11. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    F*** Ontario. The nanny-policing methods of this place are just driving many of us up the wall, year by year. I for one am glad I won't have to look at ridiculous taxes, 6 months of cold, useless weather, horrendous "laws" that deter anyone who has even the slightest enthusiasm for anything with a motor. It's funny. If only Toronto could exist in a different province/country, it would be perfect.

12. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Move the the good ole USA then. There is nothing stopping you.

13. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Already on it ;)

14. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    #14 crcs, Oct 30, 2011
    There are tons of Lambo and Ferrari owners with newer models paying upwards of *12G* a year for insurance in Toronto. A bad driving record in Ontario means 1 speeding ticket which can happen to anyone having a little bit of fun. Even with a CLEAN record, the insurance rates are absurd. There's maybe 1-2 companies in the entire province that even handle supercar insurance.

You can insure a Ferrari stateside for less then what people pay in Ontario for Honda Civics, get your facts straight. Insurance renewals depend on company/policy and they religiously look for infractions(you won't even be able to get an online quote if you select the suspension box). I'm not making it sound like anything regarding cops, look at what people are posting. 2 people in this thread admitted to having their license suspended without even being informed of it, and the OP stated how the cop launched at insult at his wife. Go to any MTO office during the day and see line ups out the door of people paying fines or being extorted for XXX YYY reasons. Sorry you can keep defending fantasy all you like GerryD. Your comments regarding "freedom" are highly hilarious and contradictory as well, as you admitted to being a huge fan and buddy of former OPP chief Julian Fantino, who was nothing more then a reincarnation of the gestapo.

15. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    +1 It does and its 10x better. Its called New York City.

16. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #16 GerryD, Oct 30, 2011
    You are pulling so much of this right out of your arse and you know it. You must be a 20 something who thinks the world owes you something. I know it’s a small thing but seeing as you know so much about Canada and how it works...try spelling in the correct English and stop substituting "is" for "are" and "then" for "than".
    The lineups at the MTO are mostly people renewing their license and some of the many immigrants getting their drivers license for the first time. Again, stop pulling stuff out of your arse.
    I take my Ferrari for all sorts of high speed runs but I do it way out of the city unlike many of our youth who love to drive at high speeds in traffic while making 3 and 4 lane changes on the 401. Those are not speeding infractions but careless driving charges and yes if you get convicted of one of those then you should pay big-time for insurance many of us don’t want you on the road anyway.

17. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    Oh sure, blame the new immigrants.

18. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    You know I really have to ask....How old are you and what type of Ferrari do you drive?

19. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Rightfully so a new ferrari or lambo paying 12k a year insurance, and rightly so a house on the bridle path in toront pays 50 - 100K a year in property taxes - we got it right here - unlike our south side friends.

I pay $1,500 a year for my DD driver which is worther 35K - therefore a 350K ferrari and or lambo should be paying 12 - 15k - the % basis is bang on - We all know Canada is far from perfect, but right now, of all the 7B in the world, im preferctly happy to be one of 34M living here - dont let the plane door hit you and asb9987 too hard on the way out ;)

20. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Traitor :p

21. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    $477.00 For the year for my little Fcar.

22. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I often drive higher profile cars than some of the blokes in this thread and I don't have any issues with the police. In fact, I've been driving a 500+ horsepower car lately and haven't had any trouble.

I don't know what kind of lives are led by some of the posters in this thread, but it must be a lifestyle I don't understand.

23. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    It’s called being young and procrastinating about owning a Ferrari. If a prerequisite to being a member here was proof of ownership, most of this crap would go away.

24. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Wow, this thread sure blew up quick.
    LOL! Don't worry Rick, the big decision is still a few years away. We'll see which side of the border comes up with the most lucrative offers :D

25. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    I'm taking a different view on the complainers. Most on this site are pro-Harper, pro-business types. So why would you complain when an insurance company charges rates that support their business model. Or is that only ok when it supports _your_ business model? Ditto with the police, they enforce our laws. Since pro-Harper implies pro-law-and-order, why would you complain? Or is it again only when the rules get applied to _you_ that it is not ok?

For OP, I guess the best thing is to 'assume nothing' when it comes to updating records at MOT or other services. We moved months ago and Visa still doesn't have our correct address figured out :-( We have learned to verify most of our transactions. In the computer age it is more likely that errors and omissions occur :)

Gerrit